Connecting to MIMO. Is this the worst app ever?
1232 7 2021-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GeoffG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810082 ft
United Kingdom

I bought an Osmo Action about 12 months ago  -  after using various GoPro models I was tempted by the big sensor and better build quality.
After faffing about with BT and WiFi settings I persuaded it to connect to both a Samsung low spec phone (Android 4.9) and a Nexus 7 (Android 5).  A very user unfriendly exercise, I'd say, but I've come to expect that from DJI - I just like their hardware and have to put up with it.

Last week I bought a new Samsung A20e phone (android10)  and thougth it would be good to have a brighter screen for the great British summer sunshine.  I did get it to connect briefly but the next time I used it I received a Bluetooth message giving me a number to enter into the Osmo in order to connect! I don't think you can do that?  Back to the good old Nexus 7 for now.

Anyone else suffered from this, I wonder?

And yes, I've done all the things you should not need to do as a customer using what is supposed to be a working product:

Reset the device
Set the WiFi to 2.4Ghz
Reset the wifi settings

Followed the onscreen suggestion to turn off the wifi in order to be asked to turn it back on again(!!)
Accepted the code given by the Osmo
Updated the apk
downgraded the apk
worn a hole in the touchscreen of the new phone (where the connect button is, in case you wondered)
all the things I forgot to mention,  like getting the dog to push the connect button with his nose

Shame.  It's such a beautiful little camera - well made and optically excellent.   The app is good too WHEN IT CONNECTS.

For goodness sake DJI,  I've been plagued by your useless software (and firmware) for five years now - compass errors, gimbal drifting eroors,  phantom 4 rendered useless for months after(non reversible)  firmware update,  Inspire 2 grounded by CAA following faulty battery status reporting...........

Why don't you provide an economical microprocessor based device with a screen, like a raspberry pi or pico or PIC, and offer us a system that is guaranteed to work with your products.  Not too much to ask really.  

2021-7-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi GeoffG, we are sorry for any inconvenience caused. Because the said device is not on the compatibility list, the performance cannot be guaranteed. Therefore, we recommend that you use the supported device on the list. https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-mimo If you still want to test with the said device, you can refer to the video below to see if it helps.
2021-7-23
Use props
Schmoof
lvl.2
United States

Sorry you're having issues, but "Is this the worst app ever?" is a bit dramatic, never had one issue with MIMO on my iPhone...
2021-7-25
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Connection OA to phone with MIMO is not really great. They have to be really close to each other + when you phone screen turn off, you need to connect again.
Probably only on android, but it so much pain so I never use the MIMO app for that purpose + every time it connects, it's in photo-mode.

2021-7-31
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I used the Mimo and IOS, and I lose wifi connction, I get the over heat.  I bought the camera to have fun, and that is what I do then use the smartphone,
2021-7-31
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

The fact that you need both BT and WIFI, thats a big source of grief for me, and i will never buy a camera that work like that again.
Regarding connecting the 2 parts, well it is also a source of grief for me, i am only so very glad it is extremely rare i have a need to connect the two, if i had to do it often a would with no doubt be extremely annoyed.
Most times connecting, well i have to try two or more times before it work.
I think in the future i might stick with using a phone to record as i can pretty much do that with +90% of what i record, still i do hope the OA last a long time here cuz i paid a premium for this camera.
2021-8-1
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

some thing s we may or may not know and  guess  the rest is History. simply showing what the app is about. too much  info for a short vid

2021-8-1
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've never had an issue with DJI Mimo, or the DJI fly app across three models of iphone and 2 ipads. I can't speak for android as I've never tried DJI software on them. A lot of products use BT and WiFi as connections. I have a dash cam that connects the same way, BT and WiFi. But in the end, most of the time, I use the software like FishyComics described, I use the camera then use the software to download what I shot. Sometimes I even just pop out the SD card and download them directly to my computer. But there are times where I set the camera up in a location and use the software to change settings and then start recording. When I do it that way, it just works for me. And of course, that's just me.
2021-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules