Mini 2 and iPhone 6
3050 14 2021-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Smokindog
lvl.2
United States

I've had a Mini 2 for a little more than a week now and have been using an old iPhone 6 (or trying to). Short of doing a factory reset, I've stripped it pretty clean, no SIM, no nothing. I've disabled many features like the histogram, ... but still get a CPU max'd out warning about 15-20 minutes into flight. The end result is loss of use of features like quick shots, choppy camera display, and even some issues landing a couple times (had to fly it to another spot).  Sort of takes the joy out of flying.

Is there a "fix" for this or should the list of compatible devices be updated to eliminate this generation of phones? As a side note, this was a huge concern of mine that kept me from starting out with the Air 2S and the smart controller, fearing that it would obsolete itself within a couple short years.

PS - I'm flying very short distances in clear sky and very little interference. The phone is in airplane mode when being used and I have phone charging enabled (another gripe that I have to enable this on each use).  I'm new to all this and still too cautious to "let the thing fly" until my skills get better and I more fully understand the limitations of the Mini 2 while in flight. If I can't get basic flight time without a huge investment to control it, I may return it to Costco before my 90 days is up.
2021-8-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Smokindog. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try using a different recommended mobile device when flying your DJI Mini 2 to see if the issue will still persist and can you please try to check if you could limit the capacity of video cache that would save in the application and enable the automatically delete the old cache. In addition, the DJI Fly application will test the usage of the mobile device's CPU. When the CPU is overloaded, decoding of transmission and flight communication system may be affected and the device will get hot. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/mini-2/downloads
2021-8-1
Use props
Smokindog
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-1 20:42
Hello there Smokindog. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try using a different recommended mobile device when flying your DJI Mini 2 to see if the issue will still persist and can you please try to check if you could limit the capacity of video cache that would save in the application and enable the automatically delete the old cache. In addition, the DJI Fly application will test the usage of the mobile device's CPU. When the CPU is overloaded, decoding of transmission and flight communication system may be affected and the device will get hot. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/mini-2/downloads

Cache is already off and I don't have another device to try.  I bought the drone based on the iPhone 6 being listed as compatible.

Do you expect to fix this?  Basically I can't use the drone for anything but a few minutes of basic flight,  I can't even use quick shots, ...
2021-8-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Turn off battery charging,   it might be causing the phone to throttle due to the heat.  Also in Settings Battery check that you still have peak performance on the battery,  if the battery cannot supply the power the phone will also throttle the CPU.
2021-8-1
Use props
ozoffi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55128 ft
Austria

I use a iPhone 6S without problems!
2021-8-1
Use props
Smokindog
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-1 23:33
Turn off battery charging,   it might be causing the phone to throttle due to the heat.  Also in Settings Battery check that you still have peak performance on the battery,  if the battery cannot supply the power the phone will also throttle the CPU.

I was beginning to suspect heat since the warning doesn't immediately go away upon landing.  It's raining here in TX today but I'll give this a shot in the next day or so.  We don't complain about rain this time of year

BATTERY HEALTH
Battery Capacity - 95%
Battery supports normal peak performance.

2021-8-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Smokindog Posted at 8-2 06:09
I was beginning to suspect heat since the warning doesn't immediately go away upon landing.  It's raining here in TX today but I'll give this a shot in the next day or so.  We don't complain about rain this time of year

BATTERY HEALTH

Thats extremely good battery health for an iPhone 6.   Id bet thats had a battery replacement.
2021-8-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Smokindog Posted at 8-2 06:09

BATTERY HEALTH

Aloha Dog,

Persevere!  Like ozoffi, I to use an iPhone 6 without problems.  In fact, the performance is really good.  The problem is probably in the settings.  Work on it and I am sure someone here will help you solve the problem.

I must confess, I am lucky because I do not do Apple well, I am a PC man.  Good luck!

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2021-8-3
Use props
Smokindog
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 8-3 00:58
Aloha Dog,

Persevere!  Like ozoffi, I to use an iPhone 6 without problems.  In fact, the performance is really good.  The problem is probably in the settings.  Work on it and I am sure someone here will help you solve the problem.

How about sharing more about your settings.  I've done everything I can find on "the net" in various forums from disabling cache and not using features like histogram, ...  Kind of defeats the purpose of paying for features if you can't use them?  Would be nice if DJI chimed in and either told us the limitations and/or updated their "approved devices" list.

Sorry but paying for something I can't use makes no sense to me.

Seriously, thanks for the reply but much more information is needed.
2021-8-3
Use props
Smokindog
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-2 23:12
Thats extremely good battery health for an iPhone 6.   Id bet thats had a battery replacement.

No, I just take care of things and do little things like powering devices off when not in use and only charging when needed

I've owned it since it was introduced!
2021-8-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Smokindog Posted at 8-3 04:49
How about sharing more about your settings.  I've done everything I can find on "the net" in various forums from disabling cache and not using features like histogram, ...  Kind of defeats the purpose of paying for features if you can't use them?  Would be nice if DJI chimed in and either told us the limitations and/or updated their "approved devices" list.

Sorry but paying for something I can't use makes no sense to me.

Aloha Dog,

As noted earlier, I am not a Mac person, I am a PC person.  If I were you, I would reset the phone to "original defaults" and then get rid of all the BS that you know about and how it operates.  I think you said you did that before.  How much RAM is available?  How much storage?  What is your cache setting?  I would venture that your problem is not with DJI Fly at all, but with the iPhone 6 and its settings.  Your iPhone has gone through a lot over the years and a reset may be in order.

Hope this helps!  Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2021-8-4
Use props
Smokindog
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 8-4 00:25
Aloha Dog,

As noted earlier, I am not a Mac person, I am a PC person.  If I were you, I would reset the phone to "original defaults" and then get rid of all the BS that you know about and how it operates.  I think you said you did that before.  How much RAM is available?  How much storage?  What is your cache setting?  I would venture that your problem is not with DJI Fly at all, but with the iPhone 6 and its settings.  Your iPhone has gone through a lot over the years and a reset may be in order.

Ya, I've done all this and freed up all the memory possible, disabled cache and other features ...

This is a commonly reported issue in other forums so I know I'm not alone.  In fact the only positive responses I've seen in searching the web about using the iPhone 6 are in this thread

Thanks again, I hope to play some today but momma has the chore list heaped up.  Don't know when I had time for a job pre-retirement
2021-8-4
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Smokindog Posted at 8-4 05:01
Ya, I've done all this and freed up all the memory possible, disabled cache and other features ...

This is a commonly reported issue in other forums so I know I'm not alone.  In fact the only positive responses I've seen in searching the web about using the iPhone 6 are in this thread

Aloha Dog,

Ah yes, retirement.  When you work harder than you ever worked when you had a job!

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2021-8-5
Use props
djiuser_rl6vCtQm0Lah
lvl.1
Netherlands

I use the mini with an old iPhone 7.
I do not download the pictures during flight.
So the iphone will only be used as flight controller.
pictures and video are only on the SD card.
This saves CPU on the phone.
2022-4-14
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

Just a thought, but it's possible more recent iOS updates consume more resources than older ones...  What version of iOS are you running ?

iPhones typically do not come with too much bloatware and iOS is pretty efficient in managing unnecessary background processes.  As such, iOS does not provide much in the way of cpu / ram utilization etc like Windows or Android devices do.  So removing unused apps etc is likely only going to result in more storage space rather than a faster device.

Resetting the iPhone to it's default settings should pretty much do everything you can do for performance.  But like I said - newer versions of iOS tend to consume more resources, and Apple does not allow you to roll back to previous versions.  It might be that the iPhone 6 in it's original configuration was acceptible for drone use, but over time newer versions of iOS and the Fly app have added more processing consumption to the point where it's on the edge... which would lead to thermal throttling making or breaking the ability to operate correctly.
2022-4-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules