Vent/Rant Against DJI Repair Support
974 6 2015-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chaz76vette
lvl.1

United States

I just wanted to blow off some steam and add my testimony to the large number of peoples' who have been frustrated with DJI's repair service.
I sent my Inspire 1 into their LA office on May 27th (two months ago) for a warrantee repair.  I live in Southern California so it arrived at their LA facility the next day.  They didn't even send me an acknowledgment that they received the shipment until 3 weeks later.  Here we are now, 8 weeks later, and I still don't have any updates.  EIGHT WEEKS.  I have called numerous times, but their phone service people are useless as far as where my drone is, what's happening to it, what stage of the process they are in, etc.  And they can't do anything to speed it up.  I am supremely disappointed in the fact that DJI either doesn't care about its customers sitting without their $3000+ investment for months at a time, or that they just don't have the infrastructure to support the massive numbers of warrantee/repair claims coming through their facility.  
So, if anyone from DJI actually reads this, PLEASE push your company to improve your repair facilities.  If you're going to use your paying customers as beta testers for products that aren't ready to go to market, AT LEAST prepare your facility to turn around the repair orders more quickly than this.  Two to three months for a repair, and no loaner in the meantime is UNACCEPTABLE.  By the way, I have two Inspire 1 aircraft, and BOTH of them are grounded on different warrantee repair issues.  I was hoping to get some good time with at least one of my $3000 aircraft sometime this summer while people are still going to the river etc, but the summer is more than halfway gone and I have had zero stick time with both of my aircraft.  
2015-7-25
Use props
davidbsamuels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8049101 ft
  • >>>
United States

Keep us posted on how things work our for you.  I know it sucks, mine was received via FexX May 22, got it back from DJI and they didn't fix everything so I sent it back the same day and I'm still waiting with no status update except that they have it.  UGH
2015-7-27
Use props
westland
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3484 ft
Hong Kong

Chaz:

To be fair you should bear in mind that DJI is doing something very new in the RC hobby. Previously, you were expected to assemble your own (this is still more or less the 3DR approach) and to work through the resulting problems. And the controllers were bad. I used to fly RC helis when you just had gyros, and the rest was up to you and your thumbs. It was an expensive hobby. This is the world that Wang Tao started in, when he set out to make the Apple Computer of RC Helis and Drones. He's done such a good job that DJI can hardly keep up with demand. And this is because it has a new class of users that have not fiddled with RC vehicles before, so expect things to work out of the box. He's changed the market, and expectations, and is still trying to get his business model right.

Nobody else does this well at this scale, so the best advice is to study more about how the P3 works, and work through the various problems.  Repair is a huge problem, because in the past, you expected to have to do all this yourself.   All things considered, I think DJI does a great job; especially given that the whole firm is run by a bunch of Chinese guys that don't necessarily have that much business background or experience outside of China. Give them a few years and they will get customer service up to standards.

Just my $0.02

By the way, maybe Apple isn't the right example now that Jobs is gone. The poor rollout of Apple Music is one more sign that Apple is following Sony into the pit -- great hardware, can't do software, can't do services, can't do cloud.
2015-8-1
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

They have been aggressively marketing quads as 'out of the box' solutions since early 2013 - plenty of time to establish, support and maintain an extensive global support network.
Reality is that DJI as an organisation is purely sales and marketing driven, with little capability for post release product development, quality assurance or post sales repair and support.
Comparing DJI to Apple is just an exercise in fanboi-ism and is not relevant. The two cases are just not comparable in either detail or history.

Having said that - we see direct examples of individual DJI people going out of their way here to step in and assist end users with resolving issues - to all of you we deeply appreciate your commitment and effort.
I would venture to say that as upset as us customers get at times, I'm sure the stress of working within the DJI system must be significant and ongoing.
2015-8-1
Use props
chaz76vette
lvl.1

United States

westland@uic.ed Posted at 2015-8-2 08:28
Chaz:

To be fair you should bear in mind that DJI is doing something very new in the RC hobby. Prev ...

That's a really fair response - thanks for adding those details!  That does make me feel better about the whole mess.  Still, though, I feel the problems with both my Inspire 1's are related to poor testing.  Maybe they could throttle back on their trailblazing just enough to let their testing department actually prove the products before releasing them.
2015-8-5
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

westland@uic.ed Posted at 2015-8-2 08:28
Chaz:

To be fair you should bear in mind that DJI is doing something very new in the RC hobby. Prev ...

Yea, I've just reached the six week mark in the repair facility and I must admit, it is NOT fun having my Inspire away for this long...but on the contrary, I don't know what I would do with a market that literally blew up under me. They took a nothing and made it a something as far as this planet is concerned. It seems like "drone" is now common nomenclature because of DJI. I'm surprised they're even keeping up at all...
2015-8-5
Use props
westland
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3484 ft
United States

chaz76vette@yah Posted at 2015-8-6 00:50
That's a really fair response - thanks for adding those details!  That does make me feel better ab ...

Thanks Chaz.  Just another personal observation, that I have talked to sales people in Shenzhen, and at the start of the conversation switched to Chinese (I speak, not great, but functional) and it made a huge difference.  DJI is trying to build out a global support group from Shenzhen, with mainly Chinese nationals, so it can sometimes be tough for them.  They'll get more and more competent at sales and support over the next few years IMO.
2015-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules