First time shooting on pocket2, video quality looks quite bad
1785 8 2021-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
divyamgoel
New
United States

Hi all,

I have virtually no experience with videography but got a pocket 2 for a gift and started using it. Below is a video I shot for fun trying a few different types of shots out in the canyons. Somehow the video quality looks super brushy and the lighting seems awful. Check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-uExRw0jbo

Any tips and tricks on how to achieve sharp and detailed video with this thing? I shot everything in 1080 30fps and did nothing in post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to use thi to vlog or document fun parts of my camping trips since I am an avid camper and the green canyon type environment of this video is where I would use the pocket 2 for the vast majority of the time.

Please let me know what I am doing worng and how I can maximixe image quality in this type of terrain.

Thanks!
2021-8-15
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Not sure if you did set something wrong but this youtube version looks not just bad but pathetic.
Just do factory reset from camera settings & shoot with all auto mode & you will be having much better quality by deafult.

2021-8-15
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Use "battery saver" mode not HQ mode, to begin with.  
2021-8-15
Use props
divyamgoel
New
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 8-15 14:35
Use "battery saver" mode not HQ mode, to begin with.

How would that ever improve the video quality?
2021-8-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there divyamgoel. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I will post a DJI link where in you can check some DJI guides on DJI Pocket 2 FAQ: Everything You Need to Know ( https://store.dji.com/guides/dji-pocket-2-faq/ ). Thank you.
2021-8-15
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

divyamgoel Posted at 8-15 16:32
How would that ever improve the video quality?

HQ mode makes image look soft due to high noise reduction & this mode should be used only when shooting high ISO in low light condition.
2021-8-15
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

What wrong here is 1080p.
When you upload a 1080p video to youtube you will get the worst codec for your video playback.
If you right-click on your video and show stats for nerds, then you will you your video have avc1-codec that look terrible, but if you upload 1440p or higher you will get vp9-codec.

Another thing, with all DJI-products (most other brands too) you have to give it a little sharpening in post before you export out your video.
2021-8-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Try shooting in the cinelike mode.
Also disable battery saver and get a higher resolution!
2021-8-19
Use props
TommyBento
lvl.3
United States

Ranjan Posted at 8-15 21:34
HQ mode makes image look soft due to high noise reduction & this mode should be used only when shooting high ISO in low light condition.

If you shoot 48p, 50p, 60p you get the full 100mbs otherwise it’s 80mbs. It would be best to record with manual settings, specifically with a fixed nd filter where you can’t change FPS. Personally, 4k@48fps on a 24p timeline gets a good image / biterate and speeding it up 200% will play back at real time minus the audio syncing, just remember the 180 degree rule with the shutter. Also you still get slow motion with out having to change frame rates just by letting it play with out  skipping frames.
2021-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules