First time using it / need some tips
1290 12 2021-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WillRivera
lvl.1

United States

Hello everyone…

So back in father’s day I was gifted the Pocket 2 creator’s combo. Honestly I had no time to fully use it, but in September we are going in a 7 day cruise (fingers crossed). Looking for suggestions on settings and accessories to use to have the best experience. Just need simple settings, nothing professional…it will be uploaded to you tube in different videos by each day.

Not sure if I should go full 4k 60 or 2k 60...30??? to save space and battery…

What you guys think?

Thanks

2021-8-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there WillRivera. Good day and thank you for these information that you have posted. I will post a DJI link where in you can find all the accessories that is compatible with your for your DJI Pocket 2 ( https://store.dji.com/category/pocket-2?from=menu_products ). In addition I will also post a DJI Tutorial video on How to Use DJI Pocket 2. Thank you and keep filming.

2021-8-23
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Make sure you understand the various gimbal modes.  These can be confusing for people who are not used to a gimbal camera.  I will add a link to an excellent video on this subject, which happens to have been made by me about the original Osmo Pocket, but almost all of it applies to the Pocket 2.

I would strongly suggest you make some test videos using different quality settings, even if it is just walking in your own street.  You may find that just 1080p is adequate.  Or you may hate that and want to use 4K60.  Then when you are away you will know you are getting the results you will be pleased with.  

Also, sound is very important.  I happen to have made a video describing the Pocket 2 sound options in detail.  I will link to that as well...

2021-8-23
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

If you will be shooting indoors aswell as outdoors, maybe go for 24 fps to catch more light. But generally I always think; am I shooting for youtube or to be shown on TV?
For youtube I usually go for 30 fps or 60 fps for smoothest footage, but if you shoot 24 fps you can shoot slowmotion in 60 fps (if you are into that).

Resolution, 4K is what I would choose, but if mostly travel then 1080 is good enough.
2021-8-23
Use props
Marty Markoe
First Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Loved the Gimbal Modes tutorial. Especially text rather than infantile "wassup" lingo. Though I've many years photo experience, learned a lot. Big THANKS!!!
2021-8-24
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I have heard about the so-called 180-degree rule. In short: when setting the fps and using the manual mode, set the shutter time so that the last digits of the shutter time equal double the framerate value. For instance, when shooting at 30 fps, the shutter time should be 1/60. When shooting at 60 fps, the shutter time should be set to 1/120. This helps to get a motion blur similar to how the human eye perceives movement, thus making movements on video look smoother and more natural.

Also, I strongly recommend getting an ND filter set for shooting in bright conditions. Using ND16, ND32 and even ND64 on bright days helps keeping the video and pictures from being overexposed while still enabling to maintain the ISO and shutter speeds settings at desired levels. I bought myself the PolarPro Standard filters set (5 ND filters and a polarizer) and have been happy with them so far.

One more tip: if you plan to utilize the ActiveTrack when shooting videos, it tends to work better with 1080p modes. At 4K, it might become jittery and lose track.

And yes, the video above is very good at demonstrating the different gimbal modes. :-)

2021-8-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 8-23 20:41
Make sure you understand the various gimbal modes.  These can be confusing for people who are not used to a gimbal camera.  I will add a link to an excellent video on this subject, which happens to have been made by me about the original Osmo Pocket, but almost all of it applies to the Pocket 2.

I would strongly suggest you make some test videos using different quality settings, even if it is just walking in your own street.  You may find that just 1080p is adequate.  Or you may hate that and want to use 4K60.  Then when you are away you will know you are getting the results you will be pleased with.  

Excellent job on the Gimbal Modes video.  
2021-8-24
Use props
WillRivera
lvl.1

United States

Awesome guys, thanks for all the suggestions. ill be watching all of these recommended videos for sure. I am think to also strap the camera on my back pack strap, to capture all of the random stuff. I want to try to create a vlog where i show my trip from start to end, trying to split in days. from traveling to Florida, to hanging in Florida, then getting the cruise, etc...etc...hopefully al goes well and I don't loose the recording. I am getting 3 256gb SD cards, plus my PC to transfer and edit. I know what you put in your head, do not all works out in real life...wish me luck.

again thanks everyone.
2021-8-24
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks for your kind comments on the gimbal modes video.   I might look like a complete idiot in that video, but I am reassured that people think I am a useful idiot...
And indeed, good luck with your trip, Will, and perhaps you will report back with your experiences on your return?  Everyone has something to learn from everyone else!
2021-8-25
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

fansfe82067d Posted at 8-25 02:00
Thanks for your kind comments on the gimbal modes video.   I might look like a complete idiot in that video, but I am reassured that people think I am a useful idiot...
And indeed, good luck with your trip, Will, and perhaps you will report back with your experiences on your return?  Everyone has something to learn from everyone else!

Don't worry about it too much, I do believe you may have felt like you look ridiculous on the video, but your movements really helped in realizing the differences between the different axis movements. That really makes it easy to understand the movements, and on the other hand, I don't think you embarrassed yourself that much on it when there was a such a clear context in which you did that. So yeah, I really don't think it was that bad, quite the contrary :-)
2021-8-25
Use props
JamesonHead
lvl.1

Bosnia and Herzegovina

fansfe82067d Posted at 8-23 20:41
Make sure you understand the various gimbal modes.  These can be confusing for people who are not used to a gimbal camera.  I will add a link to an excellent video on this subject, which happens to have been made by me about the original Osmo Pocket, but almost all of it applies to the Pocket 2.

Thank you
2021-8-26
Use props
Spark4Me
lvl.2
Germany

Love the explanation of the gimbal modes. Tried for ages to get this sorted ;)

Is hybrid mode supported on the pocket 2 with control stick?
2021-9-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

No, the 'hybrid mode' needs the extra button on the side of the extension rod to work.
2021-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules