Dark/under exposed photos and video
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paulcrank
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29797 ft
United Kingdom

Hi. Newbee here!
I've been flying my Phantom 3 Advanced for a week now. Getting used to the flight controls and so far I have only shot stills and video on 'auto' settings. However both the photos and video seem very dark. I'm shooting the photos in RAW - I'm used to DSLR RAW images being 'flat' but they're not usually this dark.  

I know I can adjust the images in Photoshop/FCPX but the main issue is that I can't see what I'm shooting whilst in flight. I'm using an iPad mini set at full brightness with a sunshade but I'm really struggling.

I will eventually take the settings off 'auto' but at the moment concentrating on the flying is the priority. Are these images what you would expect on 'auto'? The video footage is slightly lighter but still very difficult to see when it's being shot.

2015-7-27
Use props
apsphoto
lvl.2

United States

I expose by looking at the histogram, make sure to enable the histogram and adjust accordingly. I never use Auto. Also if using an iPad have the overexposure (zebras) showing that gives you some immediate clues.

Alan
2015-7-27
Use props
Seb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 659003 ft
Poland

Maybe you inadvertently played with camera settings dial (the right one). It changes the exposure correction ("Ev") - normally should be zero, if set to negative value, your pictures will be underexposed. Second thing - check if "AE" is not locked. Take a look at the DJI Pilot screenshot and notice the camera settings bar, in the top right part of the screen:

2015-7-27
Use props
PJC
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I know I'm new to this but I'm pretty sure that I had the settings on auto (which is what I wanted whilst learning the controls of the aircraft).

I found this thread in another part of the forum ('Help' i think) http://forum.dji.com/thread-13939-1-1.html. It's suggesting that there's some issue when you update to the current firmware (which is what I did before my first flight). So I reset the camera in the FN menu and the problem seems to be solved.
This is the before (actually shot in RAW)

This is the result of the same subject taken after thre reset:

I've reduced them both down in size and converted them to JPEGs for uploading but otherwise thery're as they came off the SD card.
2015-7-28
Use props
PJC
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI_0014-280715.jpg After update
DJI_0005-220715.jpg before update

dji-photo-2.jpg before update

dji-photo-1.jpg before update

2015-7-28
Use props
TAZ
lvl.2

United States

PJC Posted at 2015-7-29 04:27
I know I'm new to this but I'm pretty sure that I had the settings on auto (which is what I wanted  ...

Just to reiterate and confirm what another said...even in AUTO mode, you still have the ability to change exposure.  Many people do this inadvertently, and I've done the same myself.  Keep an eye on the EV ( the blue number in the attached photo of the prior comment)...it can be adjusted in auto mode to under/over expose the automatic exposure.  You can witness by turning the finger wheel on the right side of the controller.

Although resetting the camera may have appeared to fix the problem it simply coud be because doing so reset EV to zero....something you have control over (or ability to inadvertently set spinning the right dial, purposefully or inadvertently), even in Auto mode..
By the way, your pictures aren't showing.  If you go back to your post and hit EDIT...while in edit mode, if properly uploaded you can click on "use" to display your uploaded photos.

2015-7-28
Use props
PJC
lvl.1
United Kingdom

TAZ Posted at 2015-7-29 05:08
Just to reiterate and confirm what another said...even in AUTO mode, you still have the ability to  ...

OK. Thanks for the reply.

I'm taking it out this evening and will have a play with the toggle wheel.
2015-7-29
Use props
barrycurtisphot
New
United States

TAZ Posted at 2015-7-28 14:08
Just to reiterate and confirm what another said...even in AUTO mode, you still have the ability to  ...

Taz

I wanted to thank you for this fix.....I am new and having the exact same issue with under exposed video on my first week.

I did exactly what you said, inadvertantly clicked that wheel.  

Your info was the perfect fix, test flight/film success.  Everything is bright and beautiful.

Thank you Taz
2016-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules