Sadly, my first minor crash
781 4 2015-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fisk33
lvl.2

United States

I've read with dismay for a few months about all the people that have crashed their copters, and this weekend, I finally had one of my own.   I was running down the battery and was at less than 10%.  I kept it close to me so I could land it quickly.   All the sudden, it just dropped.  Fortunately, it was only about five feet off the ground.   Two of the props were broken and the other two were scratched, so I replaced all four.  The camera and gimbal seem to have been spared....  I put in my other batter so I could run it down all the way to recharge it, and my copter now drifts hard to the right.   It was hard to fly it because I had to keep the right stick to the left to compensate.   I landed and calibrated the sticks but that didn't help.   

To be honest, even before this happened, my copter didn't really just hover in one position on it's own.  It would always gradually drift right or left, but nothing like it's doing now.   One more thing.  This was right around dusk so I'm wondering if the VPS wasn't working because it was fairly dark?  Or is it affected by light?   Is there something other than the stick controls to calibrate that has influence over it holding its position?  

Time to go order more props...     

Perry
2015-7-27
Use props
SectorDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Redo your IMU and compass cal...
2015-7-27
Use props
Snerd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3117539 ft
United States

SectorDrone Posted at 2015-7-27 22:39
Redo your IMU and compass cal...

This. IMU, Remote Control and Compass. Calibrate them all, in that order. And hope for the best!
2015-7-27
Use props
fisk33
lvl.2

United States

Snerd Posted at 2015-7-27 22:42
This. IMU, Remote Control and Compass. Calibrate them all, in that order. And hope for the best!

Thanks guys.  That's what i'll do.  
2015-7-27
Use props
apezz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 249915 ft
United States

Did it drop because the battery completely died? Was the copter completely powered off after the fall?
I do this myself from time to time to run the battery down, but if I have to worry about  the battery shutting down under 10% i'm going to stop doing it.
2015-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules