Got lucky - crashed into a barrier net
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
neisner
lvl.1

United States

Received my P3P this week and been out most days getting a swing of things.  On Sunday I was trying to film my kids practicing soccer at a local community college.  I wanted to try a shot where the copter flew behind a shot on goal.  Unfortunately I horribly misjudged the speed and couldn't stop it before it crashed into the barrier net behind the goal.  When it hit the net, it dropped immediately towards the ground.  However it got caught up in the netting of the actual soccer goal.  After a tense walk over and a couple minutes untangling the copter, I didn't see any visible damage.  Reassembled the props and did another compass calibration and then a test flight.  Nothing I could see that is wrong with it. Phew!

Obvious learnings are to get to know the speed of your P3P before you try anything like this AND (more importantly) get in the right position to judge hazards. I was behind the P3P and had no real sense how close I was.  Should have been perpendicular to the line of the shot and would have a much better chance of slowing my speed in time.  Stupidly obvious now...but figured I would throw it out there.  

Question: Are there tests or other things I should do after a crash (hopefully doesn't happen again) before flying again?

Here's a video of the crash:

Here's my video of the more positive shots of the day:  

2015-7-27
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

just calibrate everything
2015-7-27
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

Hong Kong

you are really lucky that your phantom is still alive
2015-7-27
Use props
PerlanSwed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1130577 ft
Sweden

Sorry to say this!
But until you have learn the limitations and how to fly!
Don't fly with people near your flight path!
Especially when you have young kids around!
2015-7-28
Use props
august75
lvl.1

France

Got myself my first minor crash on the 4th flight for a similar reason: Misjudged the distance from a tree.
Luckily I was flying low, so it was a 2 meters fall between soft tree branches on the (luckily) muddy grass.

I have made long flights since and everything's fine. It seems that death is not always the case.

Just cleaned it from mud and was good to go.

Please take note that you had tilted horizon before the crash.
2015-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules