CSC
3403 36 2015-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

So my P3P fell from the sky from about 10 feet on to grassy area, the cause was that I inadvertently and unknowingly used a CSC, which told it to kill the engines!!!
I wish they would have come up with a different way to kill the motors in case of emergency rather than the same controls that is used to fly the efing thing!!! But that's another topic altogether.
I love the drone, it's very stable if the correct procedures are followed to set it up and then all the pre flight checks are done.
I love it so much that I bought another instead of buying another camera/fumble for nearly $600!
So I am selling this 1 week old P3P, all is perfect on it minus the gimble!, in fact I have been flying. Email rayrokni@gmail.com if you are interested. Thanks
2015-7-27
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

China

Usually  pilot controlling the drone never use CSC. just imagine what would drone do if the were no CSC... i usually  pull both of the sticks in the down inner corners to start or stop my motors.  so if there were no csc: full throttle down, full yaw to the right, pitch back, and roll left, all at the same time. aircraft would just behave sort of insane, and probably get crashed anyways. so as I think there is nothing wrong about CSC.
Good luck with your future flights, and be careful!
2015-7-27
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

timswimm Posted at 2015-7-28 14:01
Usually  pilot controlling the drone never use CSC. just imagine what would drone do if the were no  ...

If you do the CSC shutdown incorrectly after you have landed, you can flip the bird over. Better to use the left throttle fully down a few seconds for motor shut down. Additionally, this method will not kill the motors if you are actually flying. CSC will.
2015-7-27
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

Hong Kong

Rigworker Posted at 2015-7-28 14:55
If you do the CSC shutdown incorrectly after you have landed, you can flip the bird over. Better t ...

for sure this way is more safe
2015-7-27
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

New Zealand

Sorry you crashed it, but Can I ask what you were trying to do with the sticks in the corners at 10ft up???

Some sort of dance move?  :-)

CSC is 'safe' because in normal flight you should probably never get the sticks to the bottom corners....
2015-7-27
Use props
Khador
lvl.2
Flight distance : 668100 ft
United States

kiwichrish Posted at 2015-7-28 15:40
Sorry you crashed it, but Can I ask what you were trying to do with the sticks in the corners at 10f ...

This... the motions that you would be performing in order to engage a CSC in mid air are not part of normal flying.

Working as intended.
2015-7-28
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

So all you guys believe that it is safer to kill motors using the same controls that fly the quad?  What I was doing at 10, 20, 30 or 400 is beside the point here! The point is, In my opinion, put a different method for killing the motors! It is simple enough! Tell me of one other real flying machine that incorporates engine cut off with the same controls!
2015-7-28
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

Pics of the damage?? Ribbon, camera separation, slight bends can be repaired
2015-7-28
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rayrokni Posted at 2015-7-28 19:44
So all you guys believe that it is safer to kill motors using the same controls that fly the quad?   ...

It takes very little time to react and perform a CSC in an emergency than say having to press buttons. Your fingers are already in the correct location..

Like has been asked, what were you trying to get the P3 to do at 10ft up that involved accidental doing the CSC command?

Bummer you dropped it from the sky but its by no means a fault or bad design, just pilot error. I would suggest you get a cheaper quad and practice a bit before putting another $1000+ P3 in the sky again.. Also maybe take a few minutes to go over the manual as if you don't know about the CSC free-falling the P3 if done in the air, I'm sure there are lots of other things it does that you might manage to crash it doing.

Sorry to sound harsh but they are not toys and users ( more so new ones ) need to realise this and start thinking a little before they buy one. If one thing DJI has done negatively to the hobby is make these things attractive to people that treat them as just the latest "gadget" to play with.

Hope the next one you get lives a little longer and that as much as you love it, you spend time getting to know it a bit better too. The relationship will be a longer happier one if you do.

I'm off to my cave again now before the "usual" accuse me of working for DJI
2015-7-28
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-7-28 20:14
It takes very little time to react and perform a CSC in an emergency than say having to press butto ...

read my other post, i did state that i do not hold dji responsible at all, my mistake for not having read the entire manual carefully re; csc!! i am just saying there must be other way to do emergency kill without the use of csc!! as far as what i was doing, simple was being stupid!!! bringing it back and left, while dropping it from about 100ft and when it got to about 10 i then tried to rotate while decreasing thrust and at that point obviously i killed the motors!!, in my other post i have stated that it is definitely not a toy and it is a great quad, does everything that they say it does!! I am very comfortable flying it and am very happy with it. by the way use the simulator or run without props and u will see there are more csc to kill motor!!!
happy flying to you all
2015-7-28
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-7-28 19:50
Pics of the damage?? Ribbon, camera separation, slight bends can be repaired

no separation but gimle bent and i did try fixing it but to no avail, ribbon not torn but pressure kinks in couple of points.
2015-7-28
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Let me try to be more clear as to the intent of this thread:
1- to sell the P3P without the camera
2- To warn other new users so they dont make the same mistake and save them a lot of heart ache and money!
3- Give my 2cents worth regarding CSC: While i absolutely do not hold DJI responsible for anything that happened, since we live in a society that holds certain fast food company responsible for not having a sign on their coffee cups warning customers that it holds HOT COFFEE and grants the customer over $1 million for having spilled the hot coffee between her legs while driving, DJI could put a big warning sign on the inside of the box warning dumb asses such as myself to READ THE CSC portion carefully in the user manual. I say this because i am not the only half wit, just go through youtube and the forum to see that there are many like myself and mostly blame DJI unfairly!!
Khador: I am not saying that it does not work as intended, i am saying the intent could be more secure or put a big "hot coffee cup" style warning sign for idiots like me
I AM NOT RAGGING ON DJI, PEOPLE. understand the intent of the thread.
Others: dont think that flying a quad is your domain only and new users should not step in it
Everyone be safe and enjoy life
2015-7-28
Use props
GummySluggo
New

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-7-29 00:56
read my other post, i did state that i do not hold dji responsible at all, my mistake for not havi ...

I bet if you take a poll on how many engine cutoffs were for emergencies verses accidental you would see very clearly there is a design issue going on here.
I have yet to see a post saying "I'm sure glade my CSC engine cutoff were at my fingertips".
Newbie problems set aside.  It bothers me that the self destruct button is always at my fingertips.

Besides this topic and DJI's customer service, I love this drone. Almost did not buy one because of this design problem.
2015-8-15
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

rayrokni.  Complements to you for sharing your accident.  Was CSC the direct cause of the accident?  Well, ahh, gee, oh, but..............  The hardest lessons are the one's we learn the most from.

You might consider increasing the Gain and Expo to avoid extreme stick movements while flying.  I'm going to adjust mine the next time I fly and find a setting that I feel comfortable with.

So, were you flying like me yesterday as I proceeded to get over-confident and use extreme stick movements to make my DJI3 dance?  You can really make this baby dance if you want.

I know you are aware that when you are landing the best approach to a land is a stable approach.  Since we are not landing in a hot LZ fly a very stable approach as you transition to hover and land.

Hot-dogging is fun but it can wreck your whole day plus make your wallet much lighter!

Now I would love to see the video of your unfortunately accident.

Have fun and keep posting.
2015-8-16
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

It happened because I was not aware of CSC To kill motors mid flight, it just didn't compute in my head that the same controls for flight should be used to kill engine. I was as u said making it dance, but unfortunately I stepped on her toe!! Have fun
2015-8-16
Use props
Nic6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1165 ft
United Kingdom

Why not just buy a new gimble/camera?

Phantom 3 Spares

Forgive my ignorance but what is CSC?  

2015-8-16
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Nic6 Posted at 2015-8-16 18:46

Phantom 3 Spares

Cost $540
New p3 with battery $1259
Parts difficult to come buy
So I'll keep one for parts that I hope I'll never need and when price drops on gimble I'll buy one and then I'll have 2 p3.
I fly the other to practice, I don't use it obviously to video but I fly it to practice atti mode, and LOS.
2015-8-16
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Nic6 Posted at 2015-8-16 18:46

Phantom 3 Spares

Combined stick command.
Basically if u were to put the two sticks in a certain combination u will shut off motors mid flight and your p3 will drop like a greased rock!!!
Read all about it in manual so you don't make my mistake!!!!
2015-8-16
Use props
Viper989
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891194 ft
Canada

The CSC is , unfortunately , needed . But it should one CSC maneuver . Either inward or outward . I think about it every time i fly . Just not to get a habit of doing the finger mouvement , i always use auto take off and i shut the motor down with the left stick down 3 sec . Auto landing , i find , is nice but makes for harsher landing

Just my 2 cents
2015-8-16
Use props
dji.blitzk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1752986 ft
  • >>>
United States

GummySluggo Posted at 2015-8-16 15:08
I bet if you take a poll on how many engine cutoffs were for emergencies verses accidental you wou ...

Gotta be a better way to kill the motors than the current way with the sticks.... or at least let us turn that off!

Holding down both of the back buttons for 3 seconds, maybe?
2015-8-16
Use props
teksashorns
lvl.1

United States

I too am terrified of inadvertently making this mistake which is exactly why I got "Drop and Spills" coverage on my P3 through SqureTrade.  As long as I can find the bird, they will cover anything that happens to it, water, crashes, etc.  
2015-8-16
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Forgot to ask you rayrokni, did any of the extra gear you added to protect the gimbal do any good or was it just too hard of crash?  

I like the idea to use  your crashed DJI3 to practice and you can probably have her dance more without fear of stepping on her toes.
2015-8-16
Use props
astrostar
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-16 21:27
Forgot to ask you rayrokni, did any of the extra gear you added to protect the gimbal do any good or ...

This is one thing that puts the fear of God into me when I fly and that's doing a CSC mid flight. Yes, I hear what everyone is saying but it's still a bad way to kill the motors. Why not have an option in the GO app where you can choose whether to have the sticks perform CSC in mid flight or not. As a newbie this is when most mistakes are made during the first few flights and it's very easy to get distracted somewhat and put the sticks into the CSC position without thinking it through. I'm trying to think of a situation where you would want to perform an emergency CSC.
2015-8-16
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I have to agree about the shutdown procedure.  In fact, I didn't even know CSC would shut down because I hadn't yet read the manual completely.  I was taught by the dealer to start it with down and in, and to shut it off with full throttle down.  For that reason I didn't know you could use full down while flying and was completely afraid of pulling that stick to come down too fast.  My descents are slower than auto-land by a long shot.  I rarely went past half down.  After reading several threads on the subject, I now "know" that you can use full down safely while in the air.  Will I do it?  Not on your life.  What if that information is incorrect?  It only takes ONCE, and it's toast.  I just won't do it.

By the way, someone said they landed with full stick down to shut it off and thought it was pretty rough.  Yes it would be. You should land slowly and then pull back after it is on the ground.  I like to practice seeing just how softly I can touch down, just lightly kissing the ground before pulling to shutdown.  Even auto-land is gentler than using full stick down to land.  Ouch.
2015-8-16
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

ag0n Posted at 2015-8-16 23:10
I have to agree about the shutdown procedure.  In fact, I didn't even know CSC would shut down becau ...

common sense failure!!!
2015-8-17
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-16 21:27
Forgot to ask you rayrokni, did any of the extra gear you added to protect the gimbal do any good or ...

i didnt have any protection when i crashed it, the gimble got bent and landing gear. i flew it many times afterwards with absolutely no issues, in fact the camera worked great, only thing is u had to tilt ur head to watch the videos, LOL. but i used the gimble roll and put it to max and it was just fine. so one day i decided to fix the bent arm and im sure i messed up the ribbon cable and now no video out put to device. so when i am not too busy oneday i will replace the ribbon and see if it works.
that is why i got the extra protection for my third P3, to have peace of mind and the only two times i ve crashed was:
1-when i was chasing my son on his dirt bike at about 3' off the ground, i ate dirt at about 15mph. not a scratch
2- when i tried to fly 3' off the ground through some ..... tress(i swear, my nemisis) at a distance of 100' and didnt look on device and since my depth of vision is horrible i face planted it in to the .... tree. again not a scratch.
Side note: i got a hubsan 4x for my kid and tried flying that sob today, well it is in a ..... TREE somewhere. I HATE TREES!!
have fun bud
2015-8-17
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

astrostar Posted at 2015-8-16 22:10
This is one thing that puts the fear of God into me when I fly and that's doing a CSC mid flight.  ...

couldnt agree more, bad way to kill motors is to use same controls that are used to fly!!! there are plenty of other options to kill motors that would be just as quick to a trained person. but there is no point loosing sleep over it, it is what better people have decided is the best(sarcasm!!!) and i just fly with that in mind and stay away from any extreme control inputs, whether both down and in or up and out or anything that resembles csc.
have fun
2015-8-17
Use props
fanse931c480
lvl.1
Flight distance : 66 ft
India

What is CSC any ways??
2017-1-17
Use props
Palladous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102185 ft
United States

Combination Stick Command = both sticks to either inner or outer corners. Death in the air!
2017-1-17
Use props
fanse931c480
lvl.1
Flight distance : 66 ft
India

Palladous Posted at 2017-1-17 06:37
Combination Stick Command = both sticks to either inner or outer corners. Death in the air!

Thanks Dude...
2017-1-17
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

DJI should make it clear in the manual to NOT use the CSC move to stop your drone on landing, They have to know by the number of posts, all over the internet about CSC move on landing can & will cause a flip.
Come on DJI, Make it clear in the manual that the only right way to kill motors on landing is "left stick down for 3 seconds!"
You may notice when you start your motors by CSC method, the motors do a little rev up, which I;m assuming is the cause of the flip over on landing.
The CSC move is for an in air emergency, like suddenly there is an ultralight guy flying at your bird or in my case- My first flight I was to low over a forest & on hearing that awful screaming from motors I did the CSC & my bird sat down gently, very tip of a tree! Actually saved my P3A from any damage.
Getting her down from a 65' tree, another story!
2017-1-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

With the latest firmware DJI introduced a 3 second delay to a CSC command when flying, presumably to reduce the chances of inadvertent CSC while in the air.

Check the release notes for 1.10.90 under "What's new"
2017-1-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If you RTFM then you will learn lots of important rules of the drone.... Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-17
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

People, people, people! Please do not fly your aircraft until you read your manual, preferably more than once! Please! This is not some 3 inch syma or hubsan, this is a large and heavy aircraft, very full of functionality and smarts! It is very unwise to not do as much research as possible on such an advanced aircraft before flying it! Not only are you risking your aircraft, and people below it, but also, the whole RC flying hobby is in danger and under way too much scrutiny world wide!

As for the whole CSC - on the phantom 4 they changed it to throttle down, while holding RTH, and there were still some unintended failures... no matter what the sequence is, someone will manage to invoke it by accident, yet, it is an important feature that is needed...  so just read the manual, know as much as you can, and hopefully it would help to minimize such occurrences....  they did try to chose something that is very unlikely to happen during natural flight.. having a separate engine-off-button, is certainly an option, but as with everything, there are cons and pros..... there've been many discussion on that topic - just over the last 10 months i've been reading....
2017-1-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If flies itself right? Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-17
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

Sometimes it can fly very badly...Naughty P3P Naughty....
Atleast you still want to fly and master your new P3P.
2017-1-17
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2064587 ft
Spain

Which feature of this CSC command will stop the aircraft in mid flight if you did a stick combo inside... There is one that says CSC Maneuvers and Emergency only
16298946_10154914958959254_720562728659939709_n.jpg
2017-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules