Condensation Tolerance
2751 17 2015-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
noahaon
lvl.1

United States

I fly in a very foggy area. This leads me to beautiful shots but when I bring her down she has droplets of water on her.

What is your threashold for "too wet" to fly?

Anyone experienced with fog or weather shoots?

2015-7-28
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

Hong Kong

water drops will not influence the flight, unless water gets inside of a FC and battery.
2015-7-28
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

This is a tricky question to answer ... not knowing anything about how weather resistant the inspire actually is.

We know from smart phones that even if you submerge it to water it may actually keep on working ... flawlessly ... but it may also start "acting up" anything from a week up to six months or more from the "swim".

I´m guessing you will have to make your own judgement based on the images or video that you are getting if it is worth risking the equipment.

Even if your bird isn´t taking any damage from flying in the fog ... as you can see water drops forming on the bird this might find it´s way to electronics that is sensitive even after you landed and put the equipment away.

I would probably go ahed and fly it in the fog just to get the amazing shots and then store the bird with some of those clever things that attracts any moist ... (not sure what they are called).

Thinking about it I will probably get me some of those small bags to keep inside the case along with the Inspire ... as using the inspire when it´s cold outside and then brining it in to the warmth can actually be enough ...

Do any one know where I can buy those ?
2015-7-29
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

w1der Posted at 2015-7-29 19:07
This is a tricky question to answer ... not knowing anything about how weather resistant the inspire ...

Here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8 ... =pd_sl_4xwyoonwl9_e
2015-7-29
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

w1der Posted at 2015-7-29 19:07
This is a tricky question to answer ... not knowing anything about how weather resistant the inspire ...

A bag of rice can do the trick.
2015-7-29
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Yes ... exactly ...

Thank you !
Is this the same as they use in modern dipers (they do manage to attract lots and lots of fluid)!
2015-7-29
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

dundee Posted at 2015-7-29 19:26
A bag of rice can do the trick.

Do we know if it works just as good ... ?

What kind of bag are we talking about ... plastic wouldn´t work I assume ... ;)
2015-7-29
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-7-29 19:36
Any thoughts on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3pU0XKQZt4

Oh ... just have a fly indoors ... You will be fine ...
2015-7-29
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Have seen pics of the Inspire PCBs and they don't appear to have conformal coatings - the motors certainly aren't moisture resistant and I doubt the camera would fare too well in wet weather either.
You would probably be OK flying in a bit of fog and coming back with some moisture from time to time, but I'd avoid making it a habit!
2015-7-29
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

w1der Posted at 2015-7-29 19:32
Do we know if it works just as good ... ?

What kind of bag are we talking about ... plastic woul ...

Hi w1der,

Rice absorbs moisture in a very efficient way.
You put a bit of rice in the salt pot and you see the salt never gets wet.
Put the rice in a bag with small holes, or something that can breath.

Another idea is to collect all these small moisture bags you find in boxes or packages
containing electronics.
2015-7-29
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

dundee Posted at 2015-7-29 21:27
Hi w1der,

Rice absorbs moisture in a very efficient way.

We don´t have this problem with the salt where I live ... but I get the idea.

So many of these bags I have thrown away in my days ... *grunting*
2015-7-29
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

DJI has some words regarding condensation on the gimbal, up to the point of failure.

Inspire 1 User Manual, bottom of page 38:

“Flying in heavy fog or cloud may make the gimbal wet, leading to a temporary failure. The gimbal will recover when it dries out.”

Since the gimbal is part of the aircraft (duh) and DJI has not raised any other concerns here about condensation on the Inspire, one could
assume condensation is not a big deal?

In any case, if you are shooting pictures, the limiting factor will probably be blurry images due to condensation on the lens.

2015-7-29
Use props
noahaon
lvl.1

United States

doctrrf Posted at 2015-7-29 23:03
DJI has some words regarding condensation on the gimbal, up to the point of failure.

Inspire 1 User ...

Excellent find. Thank you.
2015-7-29
Use props
ageelectrical
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Couple of years ago i had a rep visit with some kind of spay ,was clear said it would protect electrical equipment from any water ,sprayed it into a bulb and lamp holder one you use every day in you house 240v ac 50hz in the UK, then prosseded to put it into a bucket of water and switched it on without any affect pritty good I thought ,it was meant for electronic circuit boards To protect from moisture and would fully insulate against any ingress  the guy in this video must have sprayed all the parts with something similar ,
2015-7-29
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

ageelectrical Posted at 2015-7-30 09:31
Couple of years ago i had a rep visit with some kind of spay ,was clear said it would protect electr ...

They are called conformal coatings - used in industrial and chemically aggressive environments to protect electronics from corrosion and moisture issues. We use such protection on field telemetry gear due to high humidity and concentrations of hydrogen sulphide and ammonia.

The I1's internal circuitry does not appear to be protected by such a method - doesn't mean it couldn't be applied, but that would certainly void any warranty from DJI.
2015-7-29
Use props
ageelectrical
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Yep it might void the warranty but so would flying in high moister environments
2015-7-30
Use props
pixeleyz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1066076 ft
  • >>>
United States

While I'm not sure how this relates to my Phantom 3 Pro, my first drone (a Syma X5C) got hung up in a tree this past spring.  It hung up there for 2 and a half weeks through several torrential spring rains that caused flooding.  I eventually got it down.  I wanted to see if any part of it still worked, so I put in a new battery and turned it on.  ALL SYSTEMS A-OK.  Everything worked!  So now I fly it in the pouring rain (I mean, I really don't need it anymore anyway), and it just keeps going.   I really can't believe it's water tolerance!  So when I flew my P3P in morning fog the other day, and it came back with a little condensation on it, I was concerned, but not nearly as much as I would be if I had not had the very wet experiences with my cheap Syma X5C. Still, I treat my P3P like it is my favorite child, so I will be very careful with it in humid air!
2015-8-31
Use props
pixeleyz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1066076 ft
  • >>>
United States

One thing that can help with condensation is to make sure your drone's temperature is always warmer than the air.  Condensation will only form on it if the drone is cooler than the air. This is just my experience.
2015-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules