Freewell circular polarization filter….?
1748 9 2021-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297126 ft
Netherlands

Guy's... (ohhh and dolls of course)

Does anyone use the freewell CPL filter?
I have been trying it out for a couple of days now (part or the all day kit with 8 filters) and I am a tad puzzled.
When do you have the maximum effect, I thought it would be when the lines of the base and turntable part aligned?

I use pol's on my DSLR a lot but the effect on the little champ kind of underwhelmed me....
Perhaps I need to take it to different circumstances....

Or use one of the other pol FileMerge (combined with ND)...

Please help...

HELP!

2021-9-18
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

I use Tiffen.  Great filters.  Superior glass

You can see in the one photo there are artifacts on it from improper angle to the sun.
Ideally, you want it 90 degrees to the sun.

When the lines are together, you are at zero ... no effect.
Before putting on, hold one up to the light and turn it until you get the right amount of shade, put it on and go.

MergedPSP6.jpg
MergedPSP2.jpg
2021-9-18
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use a Freewell polarizing filter when flying over water a lot in order to reduce the glare on the surface. There is just one orientation you need for this application. When looking down at about a 45 degree angle to any body of water, turn the filter until the minimum amount of reflection is present and use that orientation everywhere over water. In this case, the direction to the sun is not important. I took these two shots from one of my docks using a stationary MA2. The farther away from 45 degrees, the less the effect; pretty much none at 90 degrees. The first image was set to a rotation of 90 degrees on the drone (small white line to right or left).
CPL compare.jpg
MA2 CP filter setting for water.jpg
2021-9-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Hope our fellow DJI members here in Forum could provide you the best recommendation with tips about the said accessory. Thank you for your valued support. Have a good one.
2021-9-18
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

hunterws Posted at 9-18 11:19
I use Tiffen.  Great filters.  Superior glass

Thanks….

So the lines opposite to each other is probably max effect?
Forgot the 90 degree to the sun.
Now so used to flying with the sun in my back (180 degrees)…
Oeps…

But again, thanks.

(Cool vid)
2021-9-18
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

GaryDoug Posted at 9-18 14:27
I use a Freewell polarizing filter when flying over water a lot in order to reduce the glare on the surface. There is just one orientation you need for this application. When looking down at about a 45 degree angle to any body of water, turn the filter until the minimum amount of reflection is present and use that orientation everywhere over water. In this case, the direction to the sun is not important. I took these two shots from one of my docks using a stationary MA2. The farther away from 45 degrees, the less the effect; pretty much none at 90 degrees. The first image was set to a rotation of 90 degrees on the drone (small white line to right or left).

Can imagine you use it for that indeed….

I am looking for those intent blues, reds and greens….

Thanks!
2021-9-18
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

Unfortunately I have to confirm that Freewell filters are fitted without quality control. Of my 6 cpl filters, none are set so that the maximum dimming effect coincides with two stripes. The differences reach up to 45 angular degrees. The company and the price are a joke of the customer.
2022-1-17
Use props
ChouPigu
lvl.3
Flight distance : 96125 ft
United States

Maximum dimming effect is going to vary with lighting conditions and is not set to any angles denoted by stripes on the filters. Those are there for reference.

The only way to dial in the maximum effect is to point at what you want to filter and rotate the filter until you get the desired effect as shown on your FPV screen.
2022-1-17
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

I understand that the angle of light is important, but if the filter placed in front of your computer monitor doesn't dim to its maximum where two lines overlap, then will you be flying into the sun when you want to reduce reflections on the water. Shouldn't this be expected from cpl filters?
2022-1-17
Use props
ChouPigu
lvl.3
Flight distance : 96125 ft
United States

Ahh, I see what you're saying. I guess I've never tried it on my monitor to check the angle indicator. I'll give that a try with my Frewells.
2022-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules