Noise issue during active stabilisation
5295 19 2021-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SilentRust
lvl.1

Canada

Does anyone else hear the active stabilisation from their OM5? I just received mine yesterday and the sound is noticeable in videos, however, it is minor. Compared to my two-year-old Zhyun Crane 4 it is a complete downgrade. Just wondering if it is a production issue or whether it is designed that way. I'm at the point of returning the unit for a replacement in an effort to figure this out. Some youtube videos are already out there showing samples of the sound, which leads me to think it is widespread. Not sure why it wasn't picked up in any of the reviews?
2021-9-21
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Interesting. What phone are you using and do you have links to the videos showing the issue.
2021-9-21
Use props
SilentRust
lvl.1

Canada

S21 and see the link below to a youtube video showing the same issue. Sounds like a pot of coffee is brewing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlZJx2cil5o
2021-9-21
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

SilentRust Posted at 9-21 11:18
S21 and see the link below to a youtube video showing the same issue. Sounds like a pot of coffee is brewing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlZJx2cil5o

Thanks, i was thinking of ordering one this weekend but starting to change my mind. What with all the issues people have posted with it vibrating/ freaking out and now this noise.
2021-9-21
Use props
SilentRust
lvl.1

Canada

Yeah, I would wait for a formal response from DJI. As I mentioned above, my two-year-old Zhyun had little to no noise, so not sure why this is a thing now.
2021-9-21
Use props
SilentRust
lvl.1

Canada

So, as a test, I did a quick video with my wireless earbuds and they still pick up the high pitch sound. You notice it more during pans and moments of silence, but you can probably get away from it if you layer over some audio or background music. I think if you are outside, the ambient noise might just wipe it out entirely.
2021-9-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there SilentRust. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. This is not the experience we want you to have with your DJI OM 5. Kindly please contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav to open a case and for further assistance. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for this issue. We hope to hear from you soon and looking forward to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Thank you.
2021-9-21
Use props
SilentRust
lvl.1

Canada

Thanks, Stephen, I talked to tech support and they suggested a replacement. Playing around with it more I noticed that having the phone in portrait mode causes a significant increase in the sound compared to landscape mode, this is of course after I ensured everything was balanced correctly. In landscape mode, the sound is reduced substantially until you actively move it. I would deem that acceptable. In portrait mode, the sound and footage would be unacceptable in my opinion.

I will return the unit in hopes that mine is defective and not just poor design/materials.

2021-9-22
Use props
ozrobg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 402976 ft
Australia

Have had Om5 for 2 days and have also noticed significant  motor noise in portrait mode only. Completely quite in landscape mode.

I also major gimbal vibration issues in portrait mode on my unit, I have posted this info in other posts.
2021-9-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

ozrobg Posted at 9-26 00:22
Have had Om5 for 2 days and have also noticed significant  motor noise in portrait mode only. Completely quite in landscape mode.

I also major gimbal vibration issues in portrait mode on my unit, I have posted this info in other posts.

Hi, I had replied to your other comment, please keep us updated.
2021-9-26
Use props
Arihan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 125318 ft
Norway

I have the same issue with mine, tested on iPhone 12 Pro Max and 13 Pro Max seems like the noise is smaller with the 13 model
2021-9-26
Use props
Arihan
lvl.1
Norway

I have the same issue with mine, tested on iPhone 12 Pro Max and 13 Pro Max seems like the noise is smaller with the 13 model
It`s a kind of ticking and some rumbeling feedback. I have also been looking for ways to reduse the input volume tom my Iphone.
Yes you can cover this noise with music but some clips a want to be able to use the original sound
2021-9-26
Use props
Arihan
lvl.1
Norway

DJi released an update today, I´m using hardware version V01.00.02.10 and software version V.1.6.4(261380) and the problem with noise from the engine seems to be gone. I can still hear the feedback from the rod but I think this is more a telephone problem than the gimbal it self. Hope to find a way to reduce microphone volume and sensitivity on iPhone, I think that will solve the problem
2021-9-26
Use props
SilentRust
lvl.1

Canada

Hey, thanks for the update! I sent mine back for a replacement and will make sure I get all the updates available. Like I said, landscape mode was acceptable with Samsung, but man, that portrait mode noise was brutal. I'll post another update when it arrives.

Cheers,
2021-9-26
Use props
Foxunno
New

Chile

I have the same problem described here, will it have been solved with the update? since i returned the gimbal
2021-9-27
Use props
SilentRust
lvl.1

Canada

I got my OM5 replacement today and the difference between the original firmware and the update is night and day. There was no reason to return my OM5, the firmware would have resolved all my issues. It is now an incredible tool!

Lesson learned here in pre-ordering tech gadgets. Always give it a few months to work out all the bugs.
2021-10-2
Use props
MiamiC70
lvl.3
United States

SilentRust Posted at 10-2 07:00
I got my OM5 replacement today and the difference between the original firmware and the update is night and day. There was no reason to return my OM5, the firmware would have resolved all my issues. It is now an incredible tool!

Lesson learned here in pre-ordering tech gadgets. Always give it a few months to work out all the bugs.

LOL, you think the firmware made those motors stronger?
2021-10-2
Use props
SilentRust
lvl.1

Canada

I never said the motor got stronger. The noise is reduced and it's a function of the firmware update based on two examples.
2021-10-2
Use props
djiuser_n5fM33Fy0Qtt
New

Sweden

I got an OM5 2 days ago and with an iPhone 11 (not Pro or Pro Max) I get on and off noise from the motors in all test videos I make but primarily when I speak or when the gimbal is standing still on the tripod in portrait mode using the front camera.

But the motor noise also shows up on and off if I walk around with the gimbal and always if I walk.

I have the same issue regardless if I use DJI's app or the standard iPhone camera app but definitely more more and constantly when speaking, it's like the iPhone's software begin to focus on nosies and then it picks up the motor noise from the OM5 gimbal for some reason.
2022-2-8
Use props
djiuser_EaV5BWljrdcw
New

France

Same problem here.
It's so frustrating....
2022-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules