Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ranrick
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 8743645 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

Good day all,

I've brushed up on previous threads in the forum about OcuSync and how it works, but have found some conflicting ideas and would just like to have some sort of final clarification just so I know what I'm dealing with.

First of all, I guess to put it simply, OcuSync is similar to WiFi in the fact that they both use the same bandwidth of frequencies. The difference however is that OcuSync uses SDR(Software Defined Radio) techniques that are effective at dynamically modulating and switching to bands within the bandiwidth, which in turn allows it to actively avoid interference and provides a more stable connection in general; as opposed to WiFi, which despite using the same bandwidth as OcuSync, is however limited to use the same exact bands that WiFi routers we have all around us and cannot dynamically switch, hence being very prone to interference. Is this correct?

Second, if the first is true, given a specific example like if your area is crowded with a lot of 2.4 Ghz WiFi routers and pretty much the whole 2.4 Ghz spectrum is saturated, even the narrow bands, then even with OcuSync's dynamic switching, it still cannot operate in a stable manner under 2.4 Ghz since everything is noisy, and it can only switch to 5.8 Ghz to try to be more stable, correct?

I apologize if the questions seem a bit dumb or basic, I really do not have much experience in wireless communcations and related concepts, but would just like some confirmation and to weigh in my options on buying a new drone. For context, I live in the city with quite a bit of interference and own a Mavic Mini and am planning to upgrade to a Mini 2 or Air 2. So I borrowed a friend's Mini 2 to test it out, as expected, it is smoother and it did work better than WiFi in general. However, I assume that's partly because OcuSync put me on 5.8Ghz initially, but once I flew past a few hundred meters and OcuSync switched me to the 2.4 Ghz spectrum, things were a lot choppier and I get disconnected quite easily. At that point, I switched out of dual-band mode and locked only on the 5.8 Ghz spectrum and it went even further than when OcuSync decided 2.4 Ghz was the best.

So I started to have my doubts on how "smart" and good OcuSync can be. While I understand that 2.4 Ghz should give more range in theory, it doesn't always do so in practice, especially in high interference environments. And if my first and second questions above for confirmation are correct, and that WiFi and OcuSync essentially just differ in how they manage communcations BUT STILL operates through the same medium and range (the assigned frequency bandwidth), then shouldn't OcuSync be smart enough to not switch to 2.4 Ghz even in longer ranges if it proves to be unstable and interfered by local WiFi networks and other RF sources? Because if that's the case then I don't see why I need to upgrade now to a product that provides a slightly better range where I'm at, yet with a transmission protocol that I still need to semi-manually tune depending on area.
2021-9-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there ranrick. Good day and thank you for these information that you have given. The OcuSync 2.0 supports both 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz frequency bands. It features stronger interference resistance due to automatic frequency switching, delivering 1080p video transmission feeds at up to 10 km ( when unobstructed, free of interference, and FCC-compliant ). Thank you.
2021-9-22
Use props
George GR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2990653 ft
Greece

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-22 02:28
Hello there ranrick. Good day and thank you for these information that you have given. The OcuSync 2.0 supports both 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz frequency bands. It features stronger interference resistance due to automatic frequency switching, delivering 1080p video transmission feeds at up to 10 km ( when unobstructed, free of interference, and FCC-compliant ). Thank you.

Hi DJI Stephen,
Live View Quality: Remote Controller: 720p/30fps
2021-9-22
Use props
teamskylab
lvl.1

United States

Hello - I know this post is a bit older but my question is aligned with this discussion.  I just purchased the "Analog Fat Shark Received Module Adapter V3.0 PLUS for DJI Digital FPV Goggles".  My goal is to use my DJI FPV Goggles V2 with my Mavic Air 2.  Hoping that Ocusync 2.4/5.8 will be picked up by an analog received like this.  Has anyone had any luck?  I know you can buy the Caddix transmitter and attach it to the aerial unit, but this method would prevent the addition of unneeded weight and is much cheaper.  Analog to the Goggles anyone??
2022-11-26
Use props
Mrshuer11
lvl.2
Flight distance : 866286 ft
Romania

it's just another name for the same wi-fi technologi. It's nothing special. I have situations where I loose signal even when i;m outdors with no buldings near me or trees
2022-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules