Workaround for Canon 100d / 1000d shutter
1461 3 2021-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Black Pete
lvl.1

Germany

I have the Ronin SC and so far I am pretty happy. But I'd like to shoot panoramic images with the Ronin app and so far, it's not possible.

I was a bit surprised that the list of supported cameras is sort of tiny and it so happens that I have two unsupported ones: the Canon EOS 100d and 1000d.

They have the simplest shutter control there is: just connect the tip of a 2.5mm stereo plug with ground (bottom ring) and you have a photo. While there is just such a cable for some Fuji cameras (usb-C on one end and 2.5mm stereo jack on the other), I have no idea whether that'll work (Fuji seems to have 2 different types of remotes, not sure.) Also, 20 bucks for a cable.

My question is: Has anybody got it to work with old Canons?

While I am a bit disappointed, I am of course not giving up. There are some workarounds:
-attach a thin cable and take the pictures by hand. Cheapest, quickest solution, boring, feels dumb. Sometimes I don't want to be in the picture.

-install magic lantern and try to find an interval that is compatible with the panorama. That's kind of tricky, since the Ronin takes more time to reposition after a row and I haven't found a software that supports flexible intervals. Also wastes time.

-an arduino, two resistors, a button, an optocoppler and a 2.5mm jack. I can tell it to wait for arbitrary amounts of time. But that's inflexible.
-my current favorite: Arduino, gyro, button, jack. The arduino will trigger the camera when the gimbal isn't moving.

A simple cable would have been nicer but I can't help it. The 100d can be controlled via hdmi. No idea how.

Anyone have a better idea? One that doesn't include swapping cameras or gimbals?

Pete

2021-9-23
Use props
Black Pete
lvl.1

Germany

Halfway around the world someone is selling cables that are supposed to work with the Canon 2.5mm jack. I wonder how they're wired.
2021-9-27
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297126 ft
Netherlands

Black Pete Posted at 9-27 03:31
Halfway around the world someone is selling cables that are supposed to work with the Canon 2.5mm jack. I wonder how they're wired.

If that is a cable for the Ronin SC, I would say, try it.
Everything not controlled by the ronin itself is tricky in terms of timing, like you said too…

Perhaps the cable may also be suitable for my 80D…
I gave up hope that DJI will ever support it, for it is not the intended segment (the SC is intended for system cameras, not DSLRs). That despite it being a fantastic compact combination

But…. Interesting topic, good luck too!

I can’t think of better alternative solutions
2021-9-27
Use props
Black Pete
lvl.1

Germany

Well, the timing will be done by the Ronin itself. The arduino takes a picture and then waits for the Ronin to move. Once it has stopped moving for a second, it takes the next photo and waits again. The trick is to find the balance for sensitivity.

The 100d weighs 400 grams and is super small, so it's pretty good for the Ronin.

Doesn't the 80D have a 2.5mm jack as well?

2021-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules