Phantom 3 Pro Firmware update trouble
2391 31 2015-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thottbubble
New

Canada

Hi,

I finally received my Phantom 3 Pro the other day after a month+ of waiting and am in the process of updating the firmware so I can take it out.

I have read the DJI Instructions and watched the wonderful Drone Camps RC youetube video (ty for that). I have managed to update the vehicle without much trouble to the firmware v1.2.6. Have the .txt file that says everything was successful.

I cannot however seem to get the firmware into the controller. I have deleted the .txt file and had a the controller battery at 100% and put in the micro sd card via usb.
The controller did nothing for 5 mins...(I timed it) no beeps, nothing. After 5 mins it started to beep like in the video, but the LED on the controller was still red, not blue. It beeps for about 5 more mins before powering down. I didn't want to turn the power off for fear of making the contoller into a paper weight.

After the unit powered off, I looked for a .txt file on the micro card, but there was none. How can I check the firmware version of the controller?

2015-7-29
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

The beeping you are hearing from the RC after 5 minutes is just a friendly reminder that you haven't touched the RC sticks in over 5 minutes and perhaps you want to power it OFF.  

Since there is no text file being written to the micro SD card inserted in the USB card reader that you plugged into the RC USB port, the RC is not seeing the SD card. If you are using a USB 3.0 card reader, that could be the problem. Try formatting an older 1 GB USB 2.0 memory stick in your computer and copying only the .bin file to the root directory of the memory stick.  Leave the P3 battery turned OFF. Put the memory stick in the RC USB port and turn the RC on.  If the USB stick has an activity LED on it, it should start flashing and the RC should start a series of 4 beeps within 60 seconds or so and the RC status light should turn BLUE.  The update will take 5-10 minutes.  Wait until the RC beeping to stop and the status light to turn solid green to indicate the RC updated successfully. If the RC light turns solid red, the update failed. You can safely turn off the RC and remove the memory stick.  It should now have a text file on it saying SUCCESS!
2015-7-29
Use props
thottbubble
New

Canada

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2015-7-30 03:08
The beeping you are hearing from the RC after 5 minutes is just a friendly reminder that you haven't ...

I'm using a Verbatim Pocket Reader Model:97709 . I'm sure its a USB 2 reader, but I will try copying the file to a different USB 2 stick.

Edit:  I did just that, and there was no activity on the USB LED at all, it seems not to be recognizing the USB stick either.

2015-7-29
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

thottbubble Posted at 2015-7-30 03:22
I'm using a Verbatim Pocket Reader Model:97709 . I'm sure its a USB 2 reader, but I will try copyin ...

Are you using mac or PC?  If your using mac try putting the update on your card with a PC and go through the same steps as David P mann stated above.  Give that a shot.  Some say it worked with the PC instead of the Mac.  
2015-7-29
Use props
thottbubble
New

Canada

dlongcamp@aol.c Posted at 2015-7-30 03:38
Are you using mac or PC?  If your using mac try putting the update on your card with a PC and go t ...

I am using a mac. I'll have to dust off an old laptop and give that a try.  Thx.
Update: I cycled the power on both the vehicle & controller. Then I re-calibrated the IMU as per the app on screen instructions and everything seems to be ok. I'm wondering if the controller already had the newer firmware when originally shipped.

Is there a way to check the firmware verison of the controller?

2015-7-29
Use props
robgorman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37073 ft
Netherlands

thottbubble Posted at 2015-7-30 03:48
I am using a mac. I'll have to dust off an old laptop and give that a try.  Thx.
Update: I cycled t ...

I updated mine via my Mac but used a USB stick (freshly formatted only the update file on it) and it worked ok - not sure if it's more likely to be the USB CARD Reader as these can cause issues sometimes
2015-7-29
Use props
wnemay
lvl.1

United States

I have two Phantom 3 Professionals.  The first P3 that I tried to update had problems updating the remote.  After a few hours of struggling with it, I decided to update the other remote (using the same SD Card).  It updated without a problem.  I removed the txt files and tried on the first controller again.  No luck.  Both aircrafts updated without a hitch.  Its just the controller.
Either there is a firmware issue with some controllers, or a USB issue.

2015-7-29
Use props
Sling Shot
lvl.3

United States

wnemay Posted at 2015-7-30 05:39
I have two Phantom 3 Professionals.  The first P3 that I tried to update had problems updating the r ...

I am having the same issues...one other thing you can try is plugging into the gimble and run it over to the RC at the USB port. Do the firmware update on the Phantom. This is supposed to update the RC at the same time. I am going to do this and try it out.
2015-7-29
Use props
Sling Shot
lvl.3

United States

I am having the same issues...one other thing you can try is plugging into the gimble and run it over to the RC at the USB port. Do the firmware update on the Phantom. This is supposed to update the RC at the same time. I am going to do this and try it out.
2015-7-29
Use props
wnemay
lvl.1

United States

Sling Shot Posted at 2015-7-30 05:59
I am having the same issues...one other thing you can try is plugging into the gimble and run it o ...

Please let me know if it works for you.  I have tried various USB drives, an SD to USB adaptor (which is how I updated the second controller) and through the gimbal.  The controller never appears to update, and does not create a TXT file.
2015-7-29
Use props
sludgeface
lvl.1

Canada

I am having the exact same problem.

New out of the box Phantom3, aircraft firmware updated no problem at all, but I cannot get the controller to update at all. I've tried all the official methods, as well as (now) three different USB keys, and the controller does not respond for 3 or 4 minutes, then starts beeping as you described and powers off, but doesn't update.

I'm outta options at this point.
2015-7-29
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

Nobody is having any Problems.  There is no update to do with the Controller at this time.  The reason it is not updating is because if you have recently received a Phantom with 1.1.9 or newer than you probably have a GL300B Tx which does not need an update.
2015-7-29
Use props
Atlas1
New

United States

Folks, same issue here....I have two different P3Ps and it will not update the FW on both units. This is clearly an issue with the product. To be honest I've see a few major bugs that need to be worked out with the App/P3Ps, for the amount of money and inherent risk this should be quickly addressed by DJI. I've tired to call the technical support line on this however its so busy it tells you to call back another time. At this point i'm not confident to fly my drones till some of this can be resolved, in fact if I don't feel this will be addressed i'll be returning them.
2015-7-29
Use props
Atlas1
New

United States

jhall651 Posted at 2015-7-30 10:27
Nobody is having any Problems.  There is no update to do with the Controller at this time.  The reas ...

This is not accurate, I have two of them with 1.1.5 and no matter what is attempted it will not update
2015-7-29
Use props
sludgeface
lvl.1

Canada

jhall651 Posted at 2015-7-30 10:27
Nobody is having any Problems.  There is no update to do with the Controller at this time.  The reas ...

Thanks jhall651 for your helpful insight. No, really.

Anyway, the aircraft updated no problem. Controller version is 1.1.5. App version is 1.2.0.

Cannot get the controller version to update, and can't get the controller to connect to the aircraft via the app. So, either I'm retarded (unlikely), or the firmware/hardware is ehf'ed.

Obviously there is a problem and more than one of us is having it.

Also this isn't my first quad, so please.
2015-7-29
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

I guess I wasn't clear enough.  If you have a P3 with 1.1.9 and Tx that is a model GL300B then you don't have an update for the Tx.  Sorry you guys are having problems.  Except for Sludge.  I am glad he is.  So please.
P.S.
Exactly how do you know that the Tx is 1.1.5?
2015-7-29
Use props
sludgeface
lvl.1

Canada

I'm so glad I dropped by for help. I'll look elsewhere.
2015-7-29
Use props
Atlas1
New

United States

jhall651 Posted at 2015-7-30 10:45
I guess I wasn't clear enough.  If you have a P3 with 1.1.9 and Tx that is a model GL300B then you d ...

in the App, select "About" when connect the Tx and you will see the version of FW installed.
2015-7-29
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

Atlas1 Posted at 2015-7-30 10:57
in the App, select "About" when connect the Tx and you will see the version of FW installed.

That does not show you the Tx firmware.  That is strickly the Bird's fw and Apps update.
2015-7-29
Use props
Atlas1
New

United States

jhall651 Posted at 2015-7-30 10:58
That does not show you the Tx firmware.  That is strickly the Bird's fw and Apps update.

So out of curiosity how do you find the Tx FW version? The FW file is a 1.0.2.008.bin which would tell me that should be the FW for the P3 and not the Tx.
2015-7-29
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

Atlas1 Posted at 2015-7-30 11:03
So out of curiosity how do you find the Tx FW version? The FW file is a 1.0.2.008.bin which would  ...

I am confused by your post.  Are you asking a question, or trying to tell me something?  If your asking then the answer I do not have for you.  That was the whole point of my question directed at Mr. Sensitive.  He said he had a Tx with 1.1.5 and I was curious how he knew that seeing is how there is really no way to tell by my knowledge.  I do know that if you have Tx GL300B then it already came with the update on it.  I think it was GL300A that had an update a while ago.
2015-7-29
Use props
Atlas1
New

United States

jhall651 Posted at 2015-7-30 11:05
I am confused by your post.  Are you asking a question, or trying to tell me something?  If your as ...

So maybe the issue is with the app reporting that you need to update the RC FW? in any case with still have a bug, not sure if its with the controller or the drone. in all the cases i'm reading about a large number of folks are unable to update the controller, and everyone is being prompted to update due to the app advising it.
2015-7-29
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

Atlas1 Posted at 2015-7-30 11:29
So maybe the issue is with the app reporting that you need to update the RC FW? in any case with s ...

Not sure.  I wouldn't worry to much until the next fw comes out.  I talked to one Service Rep that seemed very upbeat and positive about this next fw.  He said it is going to be a really good one.  If it doesn't fix it then I would be mad and send it in.
2015-7-29
Use props
wnemay
lvl.1

United States

jhall651 Posted at 2015-7-30 11:33
Not sure.  I wouldn't worry to much until the next fw comes out.  I talked to one Service Rep that ...

They announced the beta version of the new firmware today.   A lot of neat new features coming.

As for the app vs controller.   As stated earlier, I have two P3A's.  One controller reported vs 1.1.9 in the pilot app, and updated without a problem.   The other controller is showing 1.1.5 and wont update at all.  In the forums it definately looks like either the remote or the app has a bug.
2015-7-29
Use props
Atlas1
New

United States

wnemay Posted at 2015-7-30 11:42
They announced the beta version of the new firmware today.   A lot of neat new features coming.

A ...

I completely look forward to the update, new features are always nice...sometimes bug fixes are even better..=0)
2015-7-29
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

jhall is correct…..there is no update for the controller beyond 1.1.9
2015-7-29
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

wnemay Posted at 2015-7-30 11:42

A ...

Where are you finding your controllers current FW?
2015-7-30
Use props
Sling Shot
lvl.3

United States

jhall651 Posted at 2015-7-30 10:45
I guess I wasn't clear enough.  If you have a P3 with 1.1.9 and Tx that is a model GL300B then you d ...

There is no way that I know of to check the latest update on the controller. I also tried the hard wire download. Still no action out of the FC. Also on the App on overall status..I'm not getting (latest firmware updated)...just normal. Called DJI...and they were oblivious to what to do. Sent me a software instruction download (everything that I previously had done) and told me that if it didn't work to send it in for a new one. Although something isn't right here...Can't put my finger on it...
2015-7-30
Use props
Sling Shot
lvl.3

United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-7-30 12:31
jhall is correct…..there is no update for the controller beyond 1.1.9

If this is the case....then DJI needs to put it out there so people are not freaking out about there FC's.
2015-7-30
Use props
Sling Shot
lvl.3

United States

wnemay Posted at 2015-7-30 06:53
Please let me know if it works for you.  I have tried various USB drives, an SD to USB adaptor (wh ...

No go....there are a bunch of people having the same problem here. There is no way to see the latest firmware update in the FC. I called DJI on this and they were not very helpful. Totally oblivious to the situation. I took the P3 flying yesterday in an open field and kept close to ground. I didn't have any problems with the FC communicating with app or the P3. took it up 300' and let it hover for about 2 min. All good. A couple guys on this post was saying if it's not taking it...then it doesn't need it. Could be true. Maybe there's no trouble at all being that there are a ton of people with the same issue. I'm not going to jump the gun on this and send it in to DJI. I might wait for the next update to come out and go from there. It should be soon..they are already in the Beta stage. I will keep you posted. Thx
2015-7-30
Use props
wnemay
lvl.1

United States

Ok, so the Android app is reporting firmware version 1.1.5, before I updated, it showed 1.1.9 on the 2nd controller.
The iOS app is showing 1.2.6 for both controllers.

Their Android app is definitely screwy.
2015-7-30
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

Sling Shot Posted at 2015-7-30 21:52
No go....there are a bunch of people having the same problem here. There is no way to see the late ...

Just fly it and have fun.  They did the same thing to me when I got mine.  Had no clue if it needed a update or not.  Guy had me on the phone trying all kinds of stuff before realizing the people on the forums where "probably" correct about it not needing an update.  I've been flying every since.  Had it about 1.5 weeks with over 20 flights, 130,000FT total distance and 3:30 hours in the air.  I am loving it!
2015-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules