9973 15 2021-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fliegerben
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1918087 ft
Germany

Hi there,

I am using Liftoff with the DJI FPV controller to improve my skills, although the quads feel quite different compared to the DJI FPV drone.

1.) Do the simulated drones behave the same in real life (considering it's a simulation)? I find them much easier to control, but I have only flown 'real' DJI drones so far...

2.) Anyone tried to „model“ the DJI FPV drone in Liftoff (e.g. by changing ESCs, weight, parameters)? Which settings did you use?

Thanks a lot for any info!

(I know there is DJI Virtual Flight - which I use as well - but Liftoff looks somewhat nicer with more options...)
2021-9-27
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2832844 ft
Italy

Hello !!

In no way can a simulator fully reflect the real flight of a drone for that one does not find a real flight match !!

Especially the DJI FPV whose PID values are not known !!

Already it is difficult to recreate a Betaflight buid knowing its tuning values ....

A simulator in which you can import data from the betaflight black box is AIDroneSim .... but unfortunately it cannot be done with the DJI FPV !!

I only use simulators on rainy days which unfortunately don't make it possible for me to fly with my builds or DJI FPVs.

Or to refine the tricks of freestyle flight !!

Greetings
2021-9-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there fliegerben. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Since this is a 3rd party application ( Liftoff ) I hope that you will get the best information from our fellow DJI co pilots who are using the said application and with regards to this matter. Just a reminder that DJI does not recommend for you to your 3rd party application when operating your DJI Drones. These 3rd party applications might affect the said DJI drone when in use. There is a possibility that these 3rd party applications will be able work but, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party applications if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you.
2021-9-27
Use props
ClassicShooter
lvl.2

United States

I use/used the DJI simulator. It was/is an amazing tool to help get your fingers coordinated to and used to the controls, but it is not an exact 1 for 1 when it comes to actually flying, but again it is a great way to get used to the controls. With that, I used the simulator almost everyday for a couple weeks, anywhere from 5-20 minutes at a time. I have now been flying a couple weeks all in manual mode and tried to go back to the simulator tonight and just could not do it. What I am getting to is a simulator should be used like training wheels on a bicycle, but once you get to a certain point going back isn't beneficial. Just my 2 cents though.
2021-9-28
Use props
fliegerben
lvl.2
Germany

I fully agree, a simulator is not the real deal - unless it is level D... I think a simulator is still great for training, but in the end you have to go out flying! No doubt about that!!

Thanks for the insight, Max90payneFPV. You are right, there is more behind it than just modifying a few parameters - namely PID! Anyway, I just found a few  builds that claim to resemble the DJI FPV. Will give it a try!

But still my other question - even though it a DJI forum... Is the behaviour of the simulated drones in Liftoff anywhere near to the real drones? I really like how they fly and would then definitely look into building my own ones.

@ DJI Stephen, rest assured, I am only using original DJI hard-/software when it comes to flying your drones.
2021-9-29
Use props
FPV Slice
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2935351 ft
Belgium

I use Liftoff as my simulator and it got me in manual mode really quick. In the workshop there is a drone (top rated) dji fpv drone. The developer has made it really close to the dji fpv drone.
I also helped a little bit with the default rates for that drone ;)
2021-9-30
Use props
fliegerben
lvl.2
Germany

FPV Slice Posted at 9-30 02:36
I use Liftoff as my simulator and it got me in manual mode really quick. In the workshop there is a drone (top rated) dji fpv drone. The developer has made it really close to the dji fpv drone.
I also helped a little bit with the default rates for that drone ;)

Thanks, FPV Slice. I think I found that one already. But I was not too impressed - maybe because I fiddled around with the parameters to match my actual rates... I will try again with the 'default' settings.

Getting used to manual mode was quick, but I am not making real progress at the moment. And with autumn coming, the days of flying are getting less...
2021-9-30
Use props
djiuser_0iaggVY01Ezd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9835407 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just got the fpv and am wondering if the phone needs to be connected to the goggles while you fly
2021-9-30
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Italy

Hello !!!

If you don't want to show your flight to someone close to you then you don't need to fly with your smartphone connected.
2021-9-30
Use props
FPVSlice
lvl.4
Belgium

fliegerben Posted at 9-30 10:26
Thanks, FPV Slice. I think I found that one already. But I was not too impressed - maybe because I fiddled around with the parameters to match my actual rates... I will try again with the 'default' settings.

Getting used to manual mode was quick, but I am not making real progress at the moment. And with autumn coming, the days of flying are getting less...

This will help you convert betaflight rates to dji rates, it's almost 1:1, but it requires some fiddling.

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/r5pkxlxhtb
2021-9-30
Use props
fliegerben
lvl.2
Germany

FPVSlice Posted at 9-30 15:10
This will help you convert betaflight rates to dji rates, it's almost 1:1, but it requires some fiddling.

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/r5pkxlxhtb

Thanks, great stuff!! Woah, I really need to get into this...
2021-9-30
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Italy

Hello !!

I remain of the opinion that the simulator is good for exercising the manual skills on the remote control.

To really know your drone lunge the only way is to fly it.

There are so many external factors in real flight (nervousness, wind, poor visibility, distractions, unexpected events, etc., etc.) that a simulator will never be able to simulate.

Furthermore, as mentioned above all in the DJI FPV, not knowing its PID parameters you will never have a real simulation.

Another factor is the battery parameters which should not be underestimated.

I use the simulator when unfortunately the bad weather does not allow me to fly.

I am currently using the new AIDroneSim and I must say that I find it fantastic
2021-9-30
Use props
fliegerben
lvl.2
Germany

Hi,

just looked at AIDroneSim. Looks very nice. But I am not sure if I should spend some more money for another simulator...

And in the end, you are absolutely right, go out and fly is the best way to practice!
2021-10-2
Use props
FPVSlice
lvl.4
Belgium

It doesn't matter which sim you pick, it's all down to your own preference. Of course nothing beats the real thing. But sim flying is great for muscle memory and grinding a certain set of moves.
It helped me a ton and it's risk free!
2021-10-19
Use props
djiuser_dh49OfjAJZFh
New

South Korea

hello there...is it safe to the battery of dji controller if i will use it always because it seems like it is also charging at thesame time while playing..
2022-12-1
Use props
Waldo4280
lvl.4
Australia

How do you set Normal mode in Liftoff? It seems that I’m flying in Manual by default, and that’s no where near my skill level right now as I’ve only had this drone for a few weeks and I was starting out in Normal mode in DJI Virtual Flight until I build muscle memory.
2023-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules