What can Osmo Action 2 do to beat GoPro?
855 10 2021-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
droneicepurefog
lvl.1

United States

There has already been leaks that the Osmo Action 2 will be released in a coule of weeks or months. That comes on the heels of the GoPro 10 which is currently underwhelming due to to the still inherent overheating issues.

GoPro does not have a lot of competition as of the moment except for, in my opinion, Insta and DJI. Now we're gonna have the OA2. What do you think DJI has to do to topple GoPro as king of action cameras? Moreover, what do you think they should NOT do and copy from others to have a successful release?

2021-9-28
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

They should do like most android phones vs iphones, release better product like they have already done with the first OA that came out after gopro 7 and still can compete against gopro 9 in term of stabilization.

So better product for cheaper price, and let the goofs pay for more expensive products (gopro fanboys) that doesn't work well.
2021-9-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 9-28 04:02
They should do like most android phones vs iphones, release better product like they have already done with the first OA that came out after gopro 7 and still can compete against gopro 9 in term of stabilization.

So better product for cheaper price, and let the goofs pay for more expensive products (gopro fanboys) that doesn't work well.

Well said.  
2021-9-28
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Thank you. I was just hoping I didn't irritate iphone-users with my comment, but just stating the facts sin OA are still doing better than gopro 10 about heating etc.

2021-9-28
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Right now I am loving my gopro. If DJI changes body design not sure my next step.  there is Never one perfect camera, each one does things the other can not do
2021-9-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think they need a front facing screen like the GoPro 10.
2021-9-29
Use props
Helmut Ruch
lvl.3
Germany

What should DJI put into an Osmo Action 2 to beat Gopro?! In my opinion nothing that could not be realized in the actuall Osmo Action by software updates:

- an API for a simple remote control, that just starts and stops the camera

- removing this stupid test for the writing speed of the SD-card before playing a just recordet clip, wich results in a stupid error message: Writing speed of the SD card to slow to play the video…

I don't believe, that a sensor with a higher resolution, 20 megapixel and more, and videomodi > 4K, will result in better videos with this type of camera. This is for action outside, with lot of movement. Even 4K is an overkill for human eyes. I don‘t know anybody, who can differ between 4K and 2K at a normal viewing distance of two times the display diagonale, e.g. about 3 meters with a 55“ display. But of course the Gopro 11 will offer 8K, and the Gopro 16 16K! But that is all without real use, it‘s just marketing...

And the famous horizon leveling of the Gopro 10? I use a gimbal since my first action cam, so I have no need for this. No kind of opto-electronical stabilization can replace a gimbal. Rock Steady (or Hypersmooth) just tries to cut out parts of the frames the sensor delivers, what results in a more smooth video. The Gimbal stabilizes the camera! And the combination of both results in perfect stable videos!

So, I have no need for an OA 2 at all. I prefere a stable working camera over an overdesigned one, that you can‘t trust. Like the Gopro 10...     

2021-9-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 9-28 08:20
Thank you. I was just hoping I didn't irritate iphone-users with my comment, but just stating the facts sin OA are still doing better than gopro 10 about heating etc.

You're very welcome johansenfoto.    GoPro still has a long way to go in perfecting their technology.  
2021-9-29
Use props
scubaAnn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4425230 ft
United States

DJI can't compete with the GoPro for divers.  There's not the housing.  There's not the filters, no macro lens.  Non-ya. I'll stick with my hero 9 unless the OA2 launches some better features.
2021-9-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there droneicepurefog. Good day and thank you for these information that you have posted. As of the moment, we do not have any information and updates with DJI's future products and with it's specifications and features and regards to this matter. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you.
2021-9-29
Use props
Kra
New
Germany

I'm looking forward to the new model since my first tests of the Osmo Action summer 2020. It was good but with some space for better.
OK, what shall be better with Osmo Action 2...
- First, concentrate on your own strength and do try to not copy GoPro. Concentrate not on gimmicks but on user value!!
- You may  hive off the coverage of "gimmicks" to additional components (which may be good commercially as well) but make a better core product.
- Dont jump onto 5K hype or similar marketing crap but focus on a very, very good product (max. up to 4k)

For me the pros would be:
- better stabilisations for really rapid actions (riding horse fast pace with bigger bumps and shocks)
- longer battery runtime!!
- a bigger sensor with much higher resolution; for better stabilisation options as well as for high res photos or an extended "night" mode.  
- keep the housing dimensions for reuse of external equipment. Form factor of V1 is OK.
- retain a basic water- and dust resistance while lay off diving etc. to  additional, dedicated equipment.
- put a stronger focus on user interface and usability

Thats from my side

One gimmick ;-)  I would like to see is a very low temp mode or extension (down to -20°) and/or external power supply (don't know whether already available ;-) )
2021-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules