Have you noticed how the focal length changes with mode...
918 7 2021-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SchmueyVision
lvl.1
Ecuador

Hello fellow DJI Osmo Action Camera artists,
I noticed that the focal length changes with mode. for instance 1080p 8x slow motion is a wider format than 1080p video.
I am curious if you noticed this too? I made this illustration today that I want to share with you that shows the changes of focal length depending on the mode. Please note that "dewarp" is not engaged in any of the photos attached.

All the images below were taken with same Osmo Action camera on a tripod without moving the camera and operating the change of mode via the Mimo app on my phone.
All the images are set to 1080p except the Photo example which is 4K by 2200.

See attached image.

Focal Lengths vs. Mode.jpg
2021-10-6
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Rocksteady was on wit hthat, try also doing it without rocksteady as well  warp.
2021-10-6
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Interesting that it was so much difference with fov on each.
2021-10-6
Use props
SchmueyVision
lvl.1
Ecuador

Thank you Fishycomics, I will check out how Rocksteady factors into this. Please standby for an update later this week.
2021-10-6
Use props
Helmut Ruch
lvl.3
Germany

Not the focal length is changing, but the angle of view! The Osmo Action has a fix focus lens...
2021-10-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

each mode and setting will differ, due to the sensor the camera is cropping on, Rocksteady uses  a percentage of the full sensor, along with FOV the dewarp and warp, creating  more or less of an image,

Only thing we can do is get in frame and  happy shooting, I not worry about this on the camera at all, its an Action camera, not a DSLR

2021-10-7
Use props
SchmueyVision
lvl.1
Ecuador

First of all I want to thank you all for your input on this.

I realize that FOV appears to be a more appropriate term than focal length in this context so Kudos to Helmut Ruch.

Secondly I wanted to thank Fishycomics for pointing out that I need to account for having Rocksteady engaged or not, and yes I agree this is not a DSLR and would like to point out that this little Osmo Action camera in terms of price/preformance is well worth it. So I have revised my comparison table taking into account the 19 variations on FOV with the attached image.

I think this is useful for a number of reasons, but I have to tell you that I presonally find it a good reference when making a sequence of cutting between two more video takes that are in different modes. For example, if you wanted to create bifuraged time, you might have one side of the screen masked out to show time-lapse and the other side in slow motion, assuming you are shooting from the exact camera position on a tripod and you are shooting close enough in time so that changes of the environment are not that noticable.
Thanks again.
p.s. I should mention that 8x slow motion does not have Dewarp available while 4x slow motion does.
FOV vs Mode image.jpg
2021-10-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

you are very welcomed.   hope dji can appreciate this
2021-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules