Automatic Hover is Always Low?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aeriallens
lvl.3

United States

No emergency here, just very curious...From DAY 1 when I happened to be in Key West, Florida to DAY 40 here in South Carolina, my P3A takes off to a height of perhaps 18 inches. Now, after many many flights, I can see that this is 100% consistent, regardless of firmware used. I began with 1.1.8 and now have 1.2.8. Again, this is NOT A COMPLAINT, but a source of curiousity..

I have properly done all the calibrations and updates from the get-go, and have never engaged VPS, and ALWAYS have been in green P-Mode/GPS with plenty of satellites, etc. Everything else appears to be fine. No compass issues or toilet bowl weirdness, etc. Everything is behaving well.

I am wondering why it does not go to the full 1.2 m. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there an adjustment not mentioned in the DJI and Fantomas guide (which is awesome by the way) ? I'd rather ask you guys than DJI simply because I suspect their support person will just read something unrelated from a script. :-)

No worries - Would just like to adjust this if I can.

2015-7-30
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

Mine goes up about 2 feet and slowly sinks to about a foot or less. It is odd.
2015-7-31
Use props
pcmeid
lvl.2

South Africa

Hi never used auto takeoff. But if I take off to any height the copter will slowly sink. After a few minutes of flight it will settle down and sinking stops. Maybe other experience the same? Otherwise all good.
2015-7-31
Use props
aeriallens
lvl.3

United States

Interesting for sure. Of course, after take-off, I go right away to eye level to get out of ground effects and get my orientation for next steps, flight etc., but it would be great to be able to correct it to the proper automatic height.

I always use the App for take-off (hey, why not?) - pretty much never use both sticks for starting, or for stopping either. Don't want to form that habit/neural pathway with the P3...because I will eventually mess up.  But, yes, that IS how I must do these things with my DJI F550 (which I still love to play with).
2015-7-31
Use props
laurence.barton
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53458 ft
United States

I use auto takeoff, and have the same issue. Jumps up to about 4 feet then settles to about 2 feet. I now throttle up pretty quickly after auto takeoff.
2015-7-31
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Before the FW that wiped out VPS, mine was rock solid. I believe that the VPS determines height at the lower level. I was on 1.1.9 with no auto takeoff or auto landing issues. Oh almost forgot, auto landing slams it into the ground way too hard. I believe that the VPS issues are to blame there too.
2015-7-31
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Mine does it too and i think its a barometer problem in the firmware, if you hover above 10 feet it will keep the level for the first minute, after the barometer warms up to the current condition after being out of the box it will be stable, and if you want stability in altitude then avoid conditions that cause rapid barometric pressure change like before and after rain and in humid conditions.
2015-7-31
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

ya mine sinks too.
2015-7-31
Use props
aeriallens
lvl.3

United States

So, it is not unique. Either the barometer or the the GPS hardware or height algorithm could certainly be the cause -- still, it is remarkable to be even near what it is supposed to be, considering the VPS is never engaged.  .
Oh, well, that is pretty minor stuff as occassional issues go. So, I won't worry about it. Thanks for the input.

2015-8-1
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

aeriallens@gmai Posted at 2015-8-2 02:55
So, it is not unique. Either the barometer or the the GPS height algorithm could certainly be the ca ...

Yeah. Mine holds if I am 8 to 10 meters up.
2015-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules