17525 21 2021-10-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JP-Dronie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 177277 ft
India

Hi,
I just bought my DJI mini 2 drone about 5 months back and was very much happy with the performance and everything.
Yesterday i was out flying my drone, and was recording as well. no problem with the flying as such, but i realised that the software was stuck, and video recording was stuck at 3:29.
i was unable to stop the recording, or do anything on the app. so i decided to bring back the drone, and restart the software, so i pressed the RTH button, and the drone returned back successfully. So i restarted my phone and sftware, and tried to start the drone motors, but the rear left motor would not turn, and i would get msg saying "Motor unable to rotate. please check". I did it several times, and the other 3 motors would rotate, but the rear left one would not rotate.
FYI, i have already installed motor caps on all the motors to prevent any dust or debris from going inside the motor. I removed that cover and tried again, but no success. so i tried to manually hit or jerk that motor, while starting, and it would work sometime, and sometimes it would not work. upon closer inspection i could see that the other motors were freely rotating with just one finger, but the rear left one was very tight and would hardly rotate with 2 fingers. It looked like this particular motor was jammed and turning very tight.
since i have been using the motor caps since day one, i am not sure if some dirt or debri could have gone inside the motor. if so, then what is best way to remove or clean it, since i cannot see anything inside that is blocking the motor. can i use electric contact cleaner?
if dirt or debri is not the cause, then what could be that cause of this one particular motor becoming jammed?
please help, incase i can open the motor and fix the it. or do i have to but a new one?
very dissapointed since this is less than 6 months old, and already one motor is down. And Since i am in India, there is no warranty service here in India.

2021-10-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Motor caps are terribly as they reduce the cooling airflow through the motor especially as dust isn’t a problem.  Best bet is to remove them and open a case with DJI.
2021-10-12
Use props
JP-Dronie
lvl.1
India

DAFlys Posted at 10-12 12:05
Motor caps are terribly as they reduce the cooling airflow through the motor especially as dust isn’t a problem.  Best bet is to remove them and open a case with DJI.

Thanks for your advice DAflys.
i am using the motor caps since i want to prevet any dirt or dust from entering the motors, especially during take off and landing.
Can u please guide me how to open a case with DJI

2021-10-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JP-Dronie Posted at 10-12 12:11
i am using the motor caps since i want to prevet any dirt or dust from entering the motors, especially during take off and landing.

You shouldn’t use the caps.  Not required and if they were they would have come with the drone.   I’ve flown from volcanoes and the dust is not an issue.
2021-10-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JP-Dronie Posted at 10-12 12:11

DJI support website is - https://www.dji.com/uk/mobile/support/product
2021-10-12
Use props
JP-Dronie
lvl.1
India

DAFlys Posted at 10-12 12:15
You shouldn’t use the caps.  Not required and if they were they would have come with the drone.   I’ve flown from volcanoes and the dust is not an issue.

Ok. so in that case what do u think is the reason for one of the motor getting jammed, within 6 months of flying. and i havent even used it so much in these last 5-6 months.
is there a way to open the motor or clean it up with electric contact cleaner?
2021-10-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JP-Dronie Posted at 10-12 12:27
Ok. so in that case what do u think is the reason for one of the motor getting jammed, within 6 months of flying. and i havent even used it so much in these last 5-6 months.
is there a way to open the motor or clean it up with electric contact cleaner?

Maybe. There’s no way to tell.  People without the caps have had the same issue too.   Loose the caps and raise a support ticket.  Don’t mention it unless asked.
2021-10-12
Use props
JP-Dronie
lvl.1
India

DAFlys Posted at 10-12 12:31
Maybe. There’s no way to tell.  People without the caps have had the same issue too.   Loose the caps and raise a support ticket.  Don’t mention it unless asked.

I just checked, and there is no DJI support in India. so thats the reason i am looking online for some help, in case people have had similar problems and if they found any solution.
2021-10-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JP-Dronie Posted at 10-12 12:49
I just checked, and there is no DJI support in India. so thats the reason i am looking online for some help, in case people have had similar problems and if they found any solution.

Where did you buy the drone from?  If it’s abroad you may need to go back to the country of purchase.
2021-10-12
Use props
JP-Dronie
lvl.1
India

I found the below post, on some other forum, and i decided to do the same, and this fixed the motor for me.
Basically, i removed the foam padding from below the motor, removed the 3 screws, and lifted the motor slightly.
then i took some liquid grease in a spoon, and dipped a thin pin into it, and put 1-2 tiny drops of that grease in the middle of the motor, where the bearing is.
Also added one drop on the top of the motor, in the middle where the motor is (not where the magnets are). just in the center.
Rotated the motor with hand for a few minutes. cleaned the bottom bearing with q-tip and applied 1-2 tiny drops of liquid grease again.
Thats it, the motor became smooth as before.
Just be careful to put only a tiny drop or two in the middle of the motor shaft were the bearing is, not anywhere else.

Below is the post i found on another forum. JUST FYI
"Yesterday the issue occurred again. I unfolded the drone and could feel the motor is again more difficult to turn by hand. As expected, when I tried to start the motors I got the "Motor unable to rotate" error message. Without going online to check the advice you gave me, I tried some things.

Firstly, I've noticed that if I turn the motor by hand for like 20 seconds (in any direction, or just repeatedly left-right half a turn), it would somehow 'loosen up' and spin more freely, almost like the other three motors. Then if I left the drone still for some minutes the motor would stiffen up again. I did this experiment for about 6 times, and every time manually rotating the motor would loosen it up. This happened both with the battery inserted or not.
The next thing that came to my mind is using a hair dryer. I left the drone still so that the motor was stiff again, and then lightly heated it up without touching(rotating) it. Surprisingly, this action would also loosen up the motor. At this point I had two theories:
The hot air interacts with the magnets, temporarily changing their power. When the motors was loosened up and spun easily, I could clearly feel the magnetic clicks, so something else was going on. The temperature was also too low for this, I believe.
Maybe something related to the grease/oil in the bearing. Heating the motor would maybe make the lubricant more fluid, resulting in an easier rotation. Repeatedly rotating the motor by hand maybe had the same effect.
Based on the second theory, I decided to try to slightly degrease the motor bearing. I removed the rubber/foam pad that covers the 3 screws of the motor. Unscrewed those and lifted the motor so that the bottom part was visible. A good amount of dark brown oil was visible there(not sure how that part is called), so I wiped the area with a Q-tip, being careful not to leave any cotton hairs. You can see this operation in the attached pics. In the second pic is the Q-tip, after cleaning the area. Finally, I soaked the tip of the propeller screwdriver in some isopropyl alcohol in order to leave 3 tiny drops of IPA around the shaft. Maybe a degreaser would have been more adequate, not sure. I then rotated the motor for a minute or so, then cleaned the area once again using a new Q-tip.
After putting everything back together, the issue seems to be gone. Every few hours I checked if the motor would stiffen up again, but it would not. I did some test flights, going through 3 batteries and everything seemed fine.

I'm not sure what the conclusion is. Maybe the bearing was overgreased? Maybe some very fine dust go into it, and I solved the issue by cleaning the area and applying IPA? Regardless, thanks again to all of you for your time and help"
2021-10-13
Use props
JP-Dronie
lvl.1
India

DAFlys Posted at 10-12 12:56
Where did you buy the drone from?  If it’s abroad you may need to go back to the country of purchase.

Yes.
DJI does not sell drones in India, so they dont have any service center in India.
on of my friend got it for me from abroad. so there is no chance i can go there just for warranty purpose.
Thanks for your time, and all the replies.
2021-10-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JP-Dronie Posted at 10-13 10:56
Yes.
DJI does not sell drones in India, so they dont have any service center in India.
on of my friend got it for me from abroad. so there is no chance i can go there just for warranty purpose.

If you have eBay you could buy a replacement motor.
2021-10-13
Use props
JP-Dronie
lvl.1
India

DAFlys Posted at 10-13 11:20
If you have eBay you could buy a replacement motor.

my motor is fixed for now. i will keep an eye if the same thing happens again.
No ebay here. We do have Amazon.
But for now, i will wait and watch.
2021-10-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there JP-Dronie. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused you before and it is great to know that you were able to sort the issue out and for sharing how you have rectified the said issue on post #10. If you have any other issue with your DJI Mini 2. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help  you. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-10-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have found that most motor problems are caused by foreign objects getting in the space between the motor armature and rotor, a very very tiny space. If you can get it out, good for you. But if not then you may need to replace the motor and arm. Not a big deal if you are handy with tiny tools;-)
2021-10-13
Use props
JP-Dronie
lvl.1
India

GaryDoug Posted at 10-13 21:55
I have found that most motor problems are caused by foreign objects getting in the space between the motor armature and rotor, a very very tiny space. If you can get it out, good for you. But if not then you may need to replace the motor and arm. Not a big deal if you are handy with tiny tools;-)

i checked it thoroughly, and there was nothing in between the motor armature and rotor. for me i think the liquid grease on the bearing helped.
2021-10-14
Use props
droneriffledchi
lvl.2

Latvia

GaryDoug Posted at 10-13 21:55

How much would that replacement cost? I found one spare parts website and in it the arm and motor was sold for around 40$, but not sure if that is a good price
2021-10-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

droneriffledchi Posted at 10-14 12:35
How much would that replacement cost? I found one spare parts website and in it the arm and motor was sold for around 40$, but not sure if that is a good price

https://www.amazon.com/Aircraft- ... 1392117788841&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/RotorLogi ... _i=B08SGCTP2Y&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Airc ... _i=B08SGDKHML&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/RotorLogi ... nd-games&sr=1-1

2021-10-14
Use props
JP-Dronie
lvl.1
India

droneriffledchi Posted at 10-14 12:35
How much would that replacement cost? I found one spare parts website and in it the arm and motor was sold for around 40$, but not sure if that is a good price

the replacement cost is anywhere between $25 to $40. depending on different websites and deals.
2021-10-15
Use props
djiuser_2ZEu2Ui14ztc
New
Flight distance : 25564 ft
Japan

This is exactly same problem I am facing currently with my DJI Mini 2 and I noticed this post is from 2 years ago!!
I will give it a try with the solution mentioned and hope it works for me as well. @dji please look into this issue if you can. The exact left rear motor stucks with the rotation.
2023-11-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_2ZEu2Ui14ztc Posted at 11-1 05:50
This is exactly same problem I am facing currently with my DJI Mini 2 and I noticed this post is from 2 years ago!!
I will give it a try with the solution mentioned and hope it works for me as well. @dji please look into this issue if you can. The exact left rear motor stucks with the rotation.

Hello there. I hope you are doing well today.  Please check the aircraft has the latest firmware version number. Also, check whether the propellers are installed correctly and whether there is debris in the motors, and try to manually rotate the motor when the aircraft is powered off. Check whether the motor is obstructed. Have a great day.
2023-11-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't see how liquid grease could free a motor, I suspect that it is more likely that inverting the drone, detaching the motor from the drone's arm etc. caused something i.e. the jamming debris, to fall out of the motor.
Don't use caps on the motors.
2023-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules