Can a Custom RTK Network be setup with a Pixel 4A hotspot?
1488 3 2021-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
f_marshall
lvl.1

United States

Hello!

I am hoping to get some assistance and/or insight on an issue regarding the Phantom 4 RTK. My company has recently upgraded our Phantom 4 to a Phantom 4 RTK. I have been working on setting the new drone up, but came across an issue when connecting to a "Custom Network RTK." To connect to a custom network RTK, we are using a mobile hotspot. I initially attempted to connect via a Pixel 4A phone, but I would get "Not Connected" anytime I tried to set up the "Custom Network RTK." After a bit of troubleshooting, I decided to test a different type of phone. I was able to get the RTK network connected instantly when I used an iPhone (not sure the model/verision) and an Android S8. I then switched back to the Pixel 4A and I recieved the same message - "Not Connected."

At this point, I am assuming there is a compatiablity issue with the Pixel 4A. Can anybody confirm? It seems a bit strange considering I can connect the smart controller to the Pixel 4A hotspot and browse the web, etc. but cannot set up the "Custom Network RTK."

Thanks again in advance.
2021-10-28
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't own a Pixel4a but the only reason I can think of for a hotspot on the 4a to be any different than the one on the other phones is due to the data plan it is on. I use a Pixel 2 regularly for the exact purpose you are describing, with not only the P4R but several other drones, including a P4MS and non-DJI ones (SenseFly, Birds Eye View).

Strange that you can web browse from the RC when connected to 4a hotspot but not make a connection to your NTRIP caster. I know you've probably checked and double-checked, but make ABSOLUTELY sure you've entered all the information correctly, including the mount point name... like many other things in GS RTK, DJI did us all a disservice by forcing us to enter everything manually (rather than reading the caster's list of mountpoints so we can choose one) and a single character screwup will prevent you from connecting. Seems unlikely that you'd have it right when trying the other phones and not w/ the 4a, but I'm clutching @ straws now.
2021-10-28
Use props
f_marshall
lvl.1

United States

patiam Posted at 10-28 06:39
I don't own a Pixel4a but the only reason I can think of for a hotspot on the 4a to be any different than the one on the other phones is due to the data planit is on. I use a Pixel 2 regularly for the exact purpose you are describing, with not only the P4R but several other drones, including a P4MS and non-DJI ones (SenseFly, Birds Eye View).

Strange that you can web browse from the RC when connected to 4a hotspot but not make a connection to your NTRIP caster. I know you've probably checked and double-checked, but make ABSOLUTELY sure you've entered all the information correctly, including the mount point name... like many other things in GS RTK, DJI did us all a disservice by forcing us to enter everything manually (rather than reading the caster's list of mountpoints so we can choose one) and a single character screwup will prevent you from connecting. Seems unlikely that you'd have it right when trying the other phones and not w/ the 4a, but I'm clutching @ straws now.

Hi patiam,

Thanks for the response. It is a strange issue.

In terms of the data plan, it is on the same company data plan as the iPhone and Samsung S8 that I tested as well. So I don't think that could be the issue.

In terms of the mountpoint, I used the same connection that was successful with the iPhone and Samsung S8. As you mentioned, I wish we didn't have to enter everything manually. It would be much easier if it read the mountpoint options from the caster list. When I was initially troubleshooting the issue, I assumed the mountpoint name was the issue. I spent a fair amount of time ensuring that I was entering the correct info. Initially, I did not think it was an issue with the Pixel 4a hotspot because I was able to browse the web, download updates, etc on the smart controller. Also, it would be helpful if DJI made the error messages more relevant. The message "Not Connected" leaves alot of possible issues to trackdown and resolve.

I also submitted a tech support ticket to DJI. The response wasn't very helpful - essentially saying they cannot test every phone for compatibility and that I should go to iOS or Android phones since those worked. They indicated that the hotspot protocols may have changed, which would cause the issue with connecting to the RTK network. I think it was a kinda strange response when considering they have tested the Pixel 2 and it is on the list of compatibly devices. I would assume the Pixel 4a has a similar protocol for hotspot as the Pixel 2. I have used the Pixel 4a as a hotspot to connect Trimble GPS devices to CORs networks, so I know it has the capability to connect.

At this point, I am assuming the Pixel 4a is not compatible. I was hoping it would be some type of setting that I needed to change, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks for your feedback.
2021-10-28
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well f_marshall,

You've thoroughly tested and ruled out everything other than some weirdness having to do with the 4a and its hotspot protocol. Seems unexpected but oh well. Good to know that there is a compatibility issue (but sorry you had to discover it).

I'm considering upgrading to a Pixel 6 soon, as the battery in my 2 has started to have decreasing endurance. Hope there aren't any issues w/ the 6, hotpotting my phone for drone work is an almost everyday thing for me.

Cheers.
2021-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules