Stabilisation on hand-held static shots
504 4 2021-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi all,

I have the Pocket 2 and for hand-held static shots, it absorbs the shakiness of my hands and looks like a tripod shot.  Perfect for most of my needs.

I travel light and do not want the hassle of a tripod etc.

My question is - how does Action 2 compare?  Will static hand-held footage have the look of a tripod shot?  I'd like to see some examples.
2021-10-30
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Here you go - I just shot this one minute "tripod shot" in my garden and uploaded it direct from the SD card.  It may take a little while to process by YouTube...

2021-10-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks nice and steady. Only obvious movement is of the twigs right up against the camera.
2021-10-31
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-30 15:53
Here you go - I just shot this one minute "tripod shot" in my garden and uploaded it direct from the SD card.  It may take a little while to process by YouTube...

Thanks - that looks promising.  I appreciate that it's 'action cam' but I often need a 'static' shot as well and only want to carry one camera about.
I tried a Gopro and the stabilisation wasn't suited to 'static' shots.
2021-10-31
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I also have the Pocket 2 which is the king of small camera stabilisation in all lighting conditions.  The Action 2 is indeed very good, but there's no substitute for an actual gimbal to get gimbal-like footage.  But the Pocket is a fairly delicate thing.  The Action 2 is great for shoving in the pocket for use in kodak moments, or for use in hostile environments, etc.  Keep an eye on my channel for more samples - I will have two more videos uploaded in the next 24 hours.  One will show the A2 on a 5 metre pole, both above and beneath a local lake.  The other will be a quick explanation of its audio modes, which are very similar to the Pocket 2 (in other words, high quality and flexible options).
2021-10-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules