1453 4 2021-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
psteel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6668671 ft
Australia

Hi everyone.

Flew my FPV on our first Sunday out of our 6th Lockdown today. Because of Melbournes world breaking lockdowns, I have only been able to fly my FPV about 10 times since purchasing so am ver new to its "quirks.  Flew 3 batteries with no issues. On my 4th battery, was flying at about 2 mtrs and aiming for a soft landing spot as although the drone was only about 7 mtrs away, I wanted to get it down where it was hovering. At the last minute, and before going for a landing, I noticed a small log on the ground so tried to maneuver away (about 4% battery). When I started to maneuver about half a metre to the right, the motors suddenly stopped and it fell out of the sky and landed hard right in the centre of the log. My reaction was something like "what the hell". As luck would have it, 30 cm either way would have been a soft rather than hard crash. I am certain I didnt touch any other buttons to cause a motor stop.

I heard a sickening crunch but drone not damaged. The battery has taken a knock and is slightly buckled at the impact corner. I believe I can get it replaced under care refresh. The only other damage was a bent prop (I have thrown all of them away and replaced the complete set for safety reasons).

Having flown M2 pros for at least 100hrs and the mini for much more, I believed the FPV would take over and land when critical battery point is met, but this doesnt seem to be the case, or perhaps something else was at play, maybe confused bottom sensor.

One thing I am learning from flying the FPV is that low batteries are not as forgiving as on other DJI drones.  On my M2, at 10% I still have time to accurately position and land the drones smoothly. On the FPV it seems that at 10%, you need to get on the ground ASAP as the motors just suck out the remaining power in a much less than a minute.

I know the battery was way low and with suitably dented pride, the lesson has been learnt, but any input in relation to auto landing on low battery for the FPV ie is it the same as the Mavics.
2021-10-31
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, thank you for reaching out. We're sorry for the unpleasant experience. In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2021-10-31
Use props
Joecos
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3294770 ft
United States

"On the FPV it seems that at 10%, you need to get on the ground ASAP as the motors just suck out the remaining power in a much less than a minute."   

Yes, it does!   I've had few close calls running the batts too low.   I've learned my lesson, I now make it a habit to land at 20%,  this will give me enough room to adjust emergency landing situations.  Good Luck!
2021-11-1
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3226991 ft
Netherlands

Personally I head home for landing when my battery is approximately 30%. At this point I have been in the air for more or less 10 minutes, which is plenty enough. I still have three other batteries to deplete.  If you are looking for the limits you are going to find one eventually and flying until your battery is less than 10% falls under this category. Luckily the lessons have been learned without (too) much of a damage and nobody is hurt.
Cheers ...
2021-11-9
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14860804 ft
United States

As you can see in a lot of my vids (the ones with gauges) That I tend to land at less than 10. I don't recommend it but I do survive it. On my "The Dance" vid I had to catch it (I hand catch) near the ground cuz it went into what I call sinking fast mode lol. Know that this does shorten the over all life of the battery as it would any battery. So again I don't recommend it as a regular thing on any drone. But I did get the shot!
2021-11-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules