What is the strongest winds you have flown in?
627 16 2021-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Magoo1979
lvl.2
Flight distance : 196135 ft
Australia

Good morning,

Went to fly yesturday and decided against due to the wind.   40 kilometres per hour gusts etc..  This got me thinking what are the strongest winds people have flown in?  What app/guides  do you use to decide when not to put the mini 2 up.   I use the UAV weather app and are always worried about the not good to fly settings.   Was hoping people can reply with their settings and experience in winds.  

Edit.  Did a search of the mini 2 tread about strong winds etc. and nothing came up.  Sorry if it been posted before.  
Thanks
Magoo

2021-11-6
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

I am usually cautious also, But gusts slightly above could work. I would fly into the wind and go with the wind for return flight. I have had the wind warning a few times, but only twice!
2021-11-6
Use props
Andre vd Weide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1503937 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

strongest wind gust 13,5m/s with my dji air2s in flight
2021-11-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I try to stay under 25mph and always fly into wind so you get the winds help to come back.
2021-11-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've flow in 11 m/s winds but had to fly in S Mode.  I think the Mini 2 was probably at the edge of the max wind she could sustain.  Best not to push the envelope.  UAV Forecast is not 100% accurate but close enough for my use.
2021-11-7
Use props
Sharp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3571634 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

The max speed (not the average) of the wind is the most important factor.
Simply put, if the wind is faster than the speed your drone can fly, then goodbye drone. It will simply blow away.

Given how unpredictable the wind speeds are and how much they vary due to guests and the heights you can fly to, it's best you give yourself a good margin of safety. Personally, I prefer to have a 20Kph of an advantage against the maximum wind speed.

If at any point I feel like I'm fighting the wind or loosing performance, that's the time to call it a day, land and go home.
2021-11-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am fairly certain i have hit 30mph once, it started to pick when i was out one time, i wouldnt plan on using the P4P if its was 30mph gusts let alone the mini 2 but i was just overhead in sports and i was watching the data and it was holding steady at that but boy, the attitude indicator level was bonkers lol As a rule, i wouldnt leave home if it was anything over 26, it's just not much fun to be honest and you can only do so many speed test runs lol
2021-11-7
Use props
Magoo1979
lvl.2
Australia

Sharp Posted at 11-7 04:51
The max speed (not the average) of the wind is the most important factor.
Simply put, if the wind is faster than the speed your drone can fly, then goodbye drone. It will simply blow away.

Thanks for the reply.  When I first started flying my Mini 2 I would not put it up if there was any wind.  With more flight time I will now put it in light/moderate winds.

Scared I am getting over confident and it will fly away on me.   
2021-11-7
Use props
Magoo1979
lvl.2
Australia

Bashy Posted at 11-7 04:54
I am fairly certain i have hit 30mph once, it started to pick when i was out one time, i wouldnt plan on using the P4P if its was 30mph gusts let alone the mini 2 but i was just overhead in sports and i was watching the data and it was holding steady at that but boy, the attitude indicator level was bonkers lol As a rule, i wouldnt leave home if it was anything over 26, it's just not much fun to be honest and you can only do so many speed test runs lol
Thanks for the reply.  I set max gust at 25mph at the moment on UAV forecast .  Just checking that is not to high!
2021-11-7
Use props
Magoo1979
lvl.2
Australia

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-7 04:03
I've flow in 11 m/s winds but had to fly in S Mode.  I think the Mini 2 was probably at the edge of the max wind she could sustain.  Best not to push the envelope.  UAV Forecast is not 100% accurate but close enough for my use.

That is one thing that scares me.  How accurate UAV is in Australia especially in the regional area I am!
2021-11-7
Use props
IrishD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140951 ft
Ireland

Magoo1979 Posted at 11-7 13:02
That is one thing that scares me.  How accurate UAV is in Australia especially in the regional area I am!

Hi Magoo...
I had similar concerns when i first start using the weather apps, Windy, uav forecast etc...local accuracy wasn't great.
so i found a local weather station here https://www.dunsink.dias.ie/weather/ that gives great info for my location.

I know Australia has some seriously remote areas compared to where i am but check your area for anything like this you could grab info from, there might be something around like a weather station or airports etc, even some motorways have their own live weather info you can find online

Good luck !
2021-11-8
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

Sometimes I fly in winds greater than 15 m / s in S-mode. But I have a lot of flight hours. I do not recommend such extreme flying for beginners. I have a warning for the advanced. The aircraft will not show negative speed when the aircraft is being pushed by the wind. You can misread the speed indicator and instead of approaching the starting point, you are actually going away at the speed shown on the speed indicator, not as you expect.
2022-1-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is just for curiosity's sake.
Imagine you command the drone to fly in the down wind direction at its maximum speed for the flight mode i.e. full travel right stick ( controller mode 2 been used), but the wind speed is greater than the flight mode's maximum ground speed. Will, with respect to the air, the drone actually fly up wind in order to limit its ground speed to the flight mode's maximum ground speed? This would have to be in one of the slower modes otherwise you might be risking a blown away drone.
I have flown a Mavic Mini up wind, in sports mode, and then flown it in the down wind direction, across my field of view, at full speed in N mode. The drone was near enough horizontal, as if hovering, as it crossed my field of view i.e. the wind speed was near enough the maximum N mode ground speed. So I think the answer to my question will be "yes" but.......
2022-1-20
Use props
TP-FPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146821 ft
United States

Generally you will get a wind warning on your controller when the drone is unstable in high winds and it will not do a reliable RTH.
2022-1-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TP-FPV Posted at 1-20 06:54
......... and it will not do a RTH.

I think you will find that the drone will, if 'asked to', attempt the RTH. Whether or not it will succeed is a different matter.
2022-1-20
Use props
TP-FPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146821 ft
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-20 07:37
I think you will find that the drone will, if 'asked to', attempt the RTH. Whether or not it will succeed is a different matter.

You are correct.
2022-1-20
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

My Mini-2 has been up about 50 to 75 feet in winds at 16 to 20 knots.  It moved a few inches one way and another but, flew nicely.
2022-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules