DJI Pocket 2 - Jitter and Vibrations
4036 16 2021-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheThinker1
lvl.1
United States

Hi All,

Does anybody have an idea how to solve the following issues that the DJI Pocket 2 has? Were you able to fix this in post production?

When I record video footage while walking and the camera is oriented towards me, I've noticed the following critical issues:
  • My head has a bubblehead-like effect, where it's jittery. This effect takes place when I'm stepping and the feet make contact with the ground. It is more pronounced when I step with my dominant foot.
  • Sometimes, there is a limping effect when I walk. I believe it's caused when I step with my dominant foot.
  • I use a stick to record, and when I change the stick from the left to right hand, or when I use both hands, a swing-like effect is created, where it appears I swing abruptly from one side to the other of the frame. In fact, just moving the camera from one position to another, creates an abrupt movement effect.
  • When I touch the camera to press any button, I get a jittery effect in the footage.

As a default, I'm using the following settings to record footage:
  • Resolution: 4k
  • FPS: 30
  • Shutter Speed: 1/60
  • ISO: 100
  • White Balance: 5500
  • ND Filter: PolarPro ND32
  • Normal color profile
  • I don't use ActiveTracking
  • I use PolarPro ND filters

I found that other youtubers have these issues. Here are some examples:

The bubblehead effect and jittery footage when stepping (see 1:31 to 2:10):

The limping effect (see 3:05 to 3:11):

The swing-like effect (see 3:56 to 4:01):

By using ND filters 60 FPS with a shutter speed of 1/120, I managed to signifiantly reduce the impact of the issues above, but not eliminate them. For example, the headbobble effect and the limping have now reduced in frequency and intensity. However, when I move the camera stick from one place to another, I still get that weird abrupt movement, and when I press buttons on the camera, I still get a jittery effect on the entire frame. I'm going to experiment with 60FPS and shutter speeds from 120 and up, to see if this can solve all these issues.

To me the issues above are a major dealbraker, making my footage when the camera is oriented towards me, unusable. I've done lots of researh, and some say it has  something to do with the autofocus, but I think the problem is with how DJI Pocket 2 handles vibrations, which is not well.

What frustrated me even more is that most reviewers on YouTube, showed only POV footage. For a vlogging camera, I find it beyond belief that most reviewers don't show footage showing them in the frame, walking and talking to the camera.

Thank you, all!

2021-11-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Can you share examples of your problem (not from other people) with and without ND filter?
I use my Pocket 2 a lot and don't recognize this.
2021-11-11
Use props
TheThinker1
lvl.1
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-11 00:50
Can you share examples of your problem (not from other people) with and without ND filter?
I use my Pocket 2 a lot and don't recognize this.

Sure, I am putting all my tests together. There's quite a bit of data and even more disappointment.

Forgive me if I am reticent to believe that you aren't having the bubblehead issue when filming in selfie mode. I have not seen a single footage without this issue. Try it, selfie mode, 4k, follow mode, fast or slow follow mode, Normal or D-CLike, any shutter speed/ISO/white balance. You will see that if you walk normally, your head will "vibrate" when you take a step.

Here are my firmware/device info. Do yours match?
Manufacturing date (Y/M):
2021/01

Firmware:

Camera Firmware:

Gimbal Firmware:

2021-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

TheThinker1 Posted at 11-11 04:35
Sure, I am putting all my tests together. There's quite a bit of data and even more disappointment.

Forgive me if I am reticent to believe that you aren't having the bubblehead issue when filming in selfie mode. I have not seen a single footage without this issue. Try it, selfie mode, 4k, follow mode, fast or slow follow mode, Normal or D-CLike, any shutter speed/ISO/white balance. You will see that if you walk normally, your head will "vibrate" when you take a step.

I will try when I have the time to do so.
Usually I film facing forward, but occasionally I use the selfie mode.
But I will let you know.
2021-11-11
Use props
TheThinker1
lvl.1
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-11 06:57
I will try when I have the time to do so.
Usually I film facing forward, but occasionally I use the selfie mode.
But I will let you know.

Thank you! I too shoot POV most of the time, but I'm thinking of having conversations with others in selfie mode, and if it has these issues, the footage will be absolutely unusable. I'm actually thinking of buying a new Pocket 2 today to see if my batch (Jan 2021) is defective.
2021-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

TheThinker1 Posted at 11-11 07:05
Thank you! I too shoot POV most of the time, but I'm thinking of having conversations with others in selfie mode, and if it has these issues, the footage will be absolutely unusable. I'm actually thinking of buying a new Pocket 2 today to see if my batch (Jan 2021) is defective.

I bought mine from DJI in June 2021
It is getting dark here now, so can't test atm, but I will.
2021-11-11
Use props
TheThinker1
lvl.1
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-11 07:34
I bought mine from DJI in June 2021
It is getting dark here now, so can't test atm, but I will.

Thank you! I got mine in May 2021 from Amazon. The manufacturing date is on the short side of the original box, if you still have it. In mine, it's written in Chinese letters with the year and month written in Arabic numerals.
2021-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

TheThinker1 Posted at 11-11 07:55
Thank you! I got mine in May 2021 from Amazon. The manufacturing date is on the short side of the original box, if you still have it. In mine, it's written in Chinese letters with the year and month written in Arabic numerals.

I always keep my boxes, but they are stored somewhere on the attic.
Quite hard to reach without having to move a lot of stuff (other boxes )
But I think it is from a similar production batch, since they purchase dates are not that far apart and your date of manufacturing is also quite close to you date of purchase.
2021-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

TheThinker1 Posted at 11-11 07:55
Thank you! I got mine in May 2021 from Amazon. The manufacturing date is on the short side of the original box, if you still have it. In mine, it's written in Chinese letters with the year and month written in Arabic numerals.

PS, you have to help me out a little.
I have watched the first clip from the timecodes you stated  (1:31 - 2:10) where he was talking and walking.
Either I'm losing eyesight, or it is not present on my PC.

Just to rule out other problems (youtube artifacts etc. etc. ), can you share (not via youtube) an original (unedited) mp4 file with me that shows the effect?
Wetransfer, dropbox, onedrive, whatever. We can share the link via a personal message.
2021-11-11
Use props
TheThinker1
lvl.1
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-11 08:58
PS, you have to help me out a little.
I have watched the first clip from the timecodes you stated  (1:31 - 2:10) where he was talking and walking.
Either I'm losing eyesight, or it is not present on my PC.

Watch the top of the hat, and even the hand holding the camera. Every time he takes a step, there are vibrations, which are shown in those areas. I will put together my uncompressed results today, and you will see the issues more clearly.
2021-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

TheThinker1 Posted at 11-11 09:16
Watch the top of the hat, and even the hand holding the camera. Every time he takes a step, there are vibrations, which are shown in those areas. I will put together my uncompressed results today, and you will see the issues more clearly.

If you can, please share one unedited clip instead of something you edit.
So just a mp4 file straight from the Pocket 2.
Not via youtube, but via wetransfer or something.
That way we can eliminate al lot of possible causes.
2021-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

TheThinker1 Posted at 11-11 09:16

PS, I watched the video again and again.
This is the area right?

I have tried my phone and tablet too.

The only thing I see is a 'shake' that you get from walking. But that is obvious as the foot hits the ground (he does not use the ninja walk, as you should when walking with a gimbal).
The gimbal can't compensate for this short sudden movement.

So I'm curious about your footage and I think it is important to start with a raw file from your pocket 2 without any internet connection, youtube compression, edit software etc. etc.
2021-11-11
Use props
TheThinker1
lvl.1
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-11 10:50
PS, I watched the video again and again.
This is the area right?

Got it. Preparing my files. Worked until late today, but will do my best to have them ready by tomorrow.
2021-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

TheThinker1 Posted at 11-11 19:34
Got it. Preparing my files. Worked until late today, but will do my best to have them ready by tomorrow.

No problem at all.
We have a big time difference, so here we just woke up
8 am now.
2021-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

TheThinker1 Posted at 11-11 19:34

Any update on the files?
2021-11-13
Use props
TheThinker1
lvl.1
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-13 10:17
Any update on the files?

Sorry, it's taking me longer than expected. I have over 200 videos I've taken for testing, and they have to be cataloged, so I know what's where.

In the meantime, I've come to accept the vibrations as part of the gimbal, the stabilization, and the focus. Basially, the camera is attempting to stabilize the background, and can't stabilize the foreground too.  I've noticed that the effects I get, happen not only on DJI cameras, but all other cameras, when you walk in selfie mode (camera facing you).

I was expecting the camera to act too much like a human eye, capturing every detail of a motion, but it seems that regardless of the shutter speed (1/8000) and frame rate (60FPS max), each motion is simplified. The easiest way to see this is by holding the camera towards you and spinning 360 degrees. The video will look smooth, as if you are on a merry-go-round. However, in reality, you are simply making small steps to turn yourself around.

I've made the following observations:
  • The further I'm from the lens in selfie mode, the less noticeable these vibrations. I used a long monopod used like a selfie stick to test this.
  • The faster I walk, the less noticeable the vibrations. This makes sense: the higher the speed, the more aggitation is expected.
  • A 4th axis stabilizer seems to make the vibrations less noticeable, but I can't be sure 100%. It definitely helps in the POV mode. I used a cheap StartRC stabilizer. I'm also thinking of testing the stabilizer in conjunction with a vibration dampening component.
  • To avoid swinging left to right, never use two hands to hold the stick, and never mount it to your waist. The way human locomotion works, creates this swinging effect. Use only one hand.
  • Keep your hand steady in the same place, as if it's made of iron. For me, the 4th axis stabilizer helps with this, because when I see it bouncing, it means it will show in the recording. Therefore, I have to be more careful. I noticed that it's best when the stabilizer is not bouncing.
  • Use a stick and attach the camera to it, rather than hold the camera in your hand. The stick allows you to keep your arm closer to your body, thus creating more stability and reducing fatigue by a lot.
  • The limping effect occurs when you film yourself from the side, while walking. Keep the stick in front of you, not at 90 or 45 degrees. I think the effect starts occurring at 45 degrees.
2021-11-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

TheThinker1 Posted at 11-13 23:08
Sorry, it's taking me longer than expected. I have over 200 videos I've taken for testing, and they have to be cataloged, so I know what's where.

In the meantime, I've come to accept the vibrations as part of the gimbal, the stabilization, and the focus. Basially, the camera is attempting to stabilize the background, and can't stabilize the foreground too.  I've noticed that the effects I get, happen not only on DJI cameras, but all other cameras, when you walk in selfie mode (camera facing you).

I think you are on point here .
The background will move faster than the foreground, so it has to choose which one it will stabilize for.
There is a super easy fix btw.
It is called 'ninja walking'.
Takes some practice and looks a bit (lot) stupid.
But it works great.
Bend your knees while walking and keep your torso as stable as you can.
Next you use you arms to further dampen the up / down movement of walking.
It is worth investigating.

I tried my best here.

(not in selfie mode, but you can see how little up down movement I'm getting)
2021-11-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules