"Training Propellers" for Phantom?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Scoundrel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6089 ft
United States

I have a Phantom 3 Advanced.
I know that the controller defaults to limiting flights to a short distance by default, and that this feature can be disabled and re-enabled whenever I like. However, I am looking for a different kind of "limp mode".

I am wondering if a set of propellers can be trimmed, either take a couple of inches off the ends, or make them narrower, or something like that, to reduce the responsiveness to flight controls. Basically, I'm looking for a way to put "training wheels" on the Phantom, so if the operator is too heavy on the stick, it doesn't send the aircraft into the next door neighbor's rhododendron bush in a heartbeat.

It might be a good way to feel a little more confident about letting a friend fly.

I understand that this would not be a good thing to do long term, and I'm not interested in replies to the effect of "if you don't trust your friend don't let him fly it" or anything like that - please keep that kind of reply to yourself. I just want to know if it would work.

Thank you for your time.

2015-8-2
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

IMO, a good way to train on a Phantom is to not use a Phantom. They are pretty expensive for flight training. I would invest in one of the sub $200 quads and practice on it or let others use that one. Especially the ones that do not use GPS to stabilize. That helps you get used to doing all of the controlling yourself.
I honestly do not know if you can trim the props to make it less responsive. However, if you had a second quad that was a bit cheaper maybe your friend wouldnt feel so butt hurt if you told him he couldnt fly your $1000+ model. Just my suggestion.
2015-8-2
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

I would say those training props are called open field and you dont even need a cheap RC toy quad for training because the phantom is super easy to fly, even a child can do it. In an open field there is no chance of crashing this thing im sorry. Thats why you should not fly them in a city next to your neighboors rhododendron bush
2015-8-2
Use props
drone_lad
lvl.3

United States

I am taking a stab at it here - the aerodynamics might be over/under compensated which would make it harder to control. Might also consider making the motors work harder to cover the RPM versus diameter, lift and control. IMO control would seem easier with a larger sweep.
2015-8-2
Use props
aeriallens
lvl.3

United States

Short answer - NO! Gotta agree with jkeller84 and others up there if you want to train.

Besides, there is a WHOLE technology of motor kv rating, propeller size, rpm, battery type etc etc etc ETC that you do NOT want to venture into with these programmed/tuned Phantom 3 machines. I would guess that will be very dangerous territory with a computerized battery and Phantom firmware; this machine is very intelligent and may interpret the higher rpms of the much smaller props as a serious problem.

Now, if you want to "calm things down" for training with the P3, check this forum and youtube etc for some soft and safe gain settings. Just be careful with that, too.

2015-8-2
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

You could adjust the gain of the controls to tame things down.  Still, as others have said, it isnt really a unit for training.
2015-8-2
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

go to setting, in the right hand margin click on the top icon "props" looking, click on gain & Expo, there u will see a graph with 3 settings u can nchange the min is 0.30 for all of them, change those and only those, and see if that helps you any, i would do it in a very open place with no trees or builings around you till u figure the settings that u like.
have fun
2015-8-2
Use props
stinson61
New

United States

A blade 180 is a good training oprion
2015-8-2
Use props
stinson61
New

United States

The 180 utilizes stabilization but no GPS no return home etc it can also be wet to agality mode for acrobatic flying that's fully dependant on your Stick inputs,  also its light enough tgat it can drop 50 feet and not be damaged less than 200$
2015-8-2
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Other than the gain adjustment, you can lengthen the control sticks which will slow down the reaction time.

Learn how to fly with just using the left stick. Use the normal start procedure, then just use the left stick to climb and do slow rotations both clockwise and counter clockwise. Practice landing on a small target, again just using the left stick. Hover over the target and slowly descend to land, then push the left stick all the way down to kill the motor.
2015-8-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yeah, as mentioned above, no need to deliberately ruin a set of props...
Simply Learn how to adjust how your Phantom reacts to stick Input.

Hope these are helpful...

RedHotPoker

2015-8-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Upon some further reflection. You know, actually the cheapest way to learn to become an awesome RC pilot is through a Flight SIM,
like Phoenix 5 http://www.phoenix-sim.com
Or RealFlight 7. http://www.realflight.com
I have RealFlight 6.5 and it's as real as it can be, short of crashing your expensive live models.
They update the program regularly, bringing newer models and exciting fields to fly in.
Plenty of obstacle courses too, for the daredevils who want to push the envelope a little bit further out there.
And you get to try out various craft, even float planes and Swamp Buggies.

RedHotPoker
2015-8-2
Use props
Scoundrel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6089 ft
United States

Thanks for all of the replies so far.
I guess for letting a friend fly it, finding a wide open field and maybe setting beginner mode back on is probably the way to go.
2015-8-2
Use props
SuperRC
lvl.1

Australia

Hi Scoundrel,
Was reading this thread a few days ago when I came across this site.

http://www.gimbal-guard.com/#!phantom-3-accessories/c2hc

Check out the attachments you can connect to your remote controller. They allow you to connect multiple rubber bands to increase resistance and limit movement of the controls for smooth inputs.
Hope this helps

SS
2015-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules