RS 2 Roll Axis Balance Oddity — Stays in right, falls in left.
492 4 2021-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RogerRosales
lvl.1
United States

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased an RS 2 and I'm pairing it primarily with a Z6. I am able to balance the TILT & PAN Axis just fine and it seems like I have the ROLL axis balanced...halfway...? I know that sounds odd but essentially when fully horizontal the  gimbal stays straight. I turn it to the right about a quarter turn and it stays balanced just fine, however, any further it will roll all the way down. If I try and roll it and let it hang to the left it will not stay and just completely rolls downward and turns upside down.

Any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong? I'm aware of the issue of needing to tightly lock the arm into place by ensuring I lift the lock handle a few times to ensure it's fully locked. Is this normal? My understanding is that it should stay in any position I place it and not fall or return so I'm led to conclude that the balance is off. I run through the checks and everything comes back as excellent but it just doesn't feel right. I get jerky movements when using the gimbal in certain moves and it's not buttery smooth.

I've spent a lot of time making microadjustments to the arm and I'm just at a loss.  Thanks for any inpur or advice anyone can provide. I appreciate it.

2021-11-13
Use props
RogerRosales
lvl.1
United States

Any ideas? Is this normal? Any feedback is welcome.

Thank you.
2021-11-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi RogerRosales, this is normal, due to the non-orthogonal design of the roll axis, the gimbal roll may not stay at a certain position while you balance it. May I know if there is any issue when you power on the unit? Does it work properly?
2021-11-17
Use props
RogerRosales
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 11-17 04:00
Hi RogerRosales, this is normal, due to the non-orthogonal design of the roll axis, the gimbal roll may not stay at a certain position while you balance it. May I know if there is any issue when you power on the unit? Does it work properly?

Thank you for the reply Susan. No issues when I power on for the most part. I was on a shoot recently where the horizon kept tilting, however, I believe it was mostly due to user error as I was trying to balance it on an uneven surface. Once I found a stable and level platform I did not experience that issue.

As for it working properly I do get some jitters when I'm doing a pan follow movement or even a tilt and rise movement. I have not been attaching the lens fastener as I don't think I need it since i'm not shooting on a boat or while on a moving vehicle and my understanding is that is primarily the only time you need to secure the lens.

Those jitters that I experience led me to think the balance may be off but since this is perhaps normal and the gimbal verifies it it has to be something else.  A few things I'll be trying are:

1) Attaching the lens fastener
2) Downgrading firmware
3) Improving technique

2021-11-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

RogerRosales Posted at 11-17 11:52
Thank you for the reply Susan. No issues when I power on for the most part. I was on a shoot recently where the horizon kept tilting, however, I believe it was mostly due to user error as I was trying to balance it on an uneven surface. Once I found a stable and level platform I did not experience that issue.

As for it working properly I do get some jitters when I'm doing a pan follow movement or even a tilt and rise movement. I have not been attaching the lens fastener as I don't think I need it since i'm not shooting on a boat or while on a moving vehicle and my understanding is that is primarily the only time you need to secure the lens.

From your video, you can still adjust the toll axis and move it to the right side a little bit to make sure it is perfectly balanced, you can refer to this tutorial for more details:
2021-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules