617 4 2021-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
digibud
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7820246 ft
  • >>>
United States

My buddy and I were flying our FPV drones along a small river in Alaska.  We were inside the car as it was roughly -10F today (Nov 14, 2021). I  was filming the moving water and ice surrounding it while side sliding  to my left.  All of a sudden my friend in the car seat next to me  shouted, "Holy S(*$, are you still flying? "   I said, "What? What do  you mean?".  I did not realize that I had flown directly into his drone.  Neither of us crashed. My red prop tips left scars on his drone legs  and my props were scared at the tips and a gouge was made on the middle  of one of my props but thankfully we did not fall out of the sky. We  would have had no way to even think about retreiving the drone in the  quick moving icy water.   You'd think there was a lesson here but you'd  be wrong. We just go out and have fun and, well, if we crash I guess we  crash .LOL.  I was, however, quite impressed with the fact that we most  def hit each other pretty good and still flew away from the scene of the  accident. We were, by they way, flying at about 15feet over a remote river with no chance of anyone nearby or anything in the vicinity of the semi frozen river.
2021-11-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I always knew there was a reason for the VLOS rule.
2021-11-15
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for sharing your experience and we're glad that there is no incident that happened on the unit. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries or concerns. Thank you for your valued support.
2021-11-15
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7820246 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-15 01:13
I always knew there was a reason for the VLOS rule.

Yeah....Agreed. When we fly down small rivers at this time of the year we we often fly at the same time without the aide of one of us acting as an observer. I guess it is technically not within the rules but there is 0 chance of a boater on the semi-frozen river, nor aircraft or frankly anyone or anybody so although it is safe we do run the possibility of running into...each other. We were lucky.
2021-11-15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Now that is what I call extremely lucky.  Glad your drones only had minor damage.  
2021-11-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules