Why is the Landing Protection switch not available in DJI Fly app?
1937 24 2021-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ricci.Hidalgo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 155131 ft
Chile

I just can't understand why DJI Landing Protection switch is not available in Fly App settings (it is available in GO4 app), it's an essential feature as in some cases it is necessary to land the drone on hand when the landing surface is not auspicious for its integrity (It's dangerous to use as a work-around the auto-landing function and then hand catch the Mavic 3).

DEAR DJI DEVELOPMENT TEAM, PLEASE RESTORE THE LANDING PROTECTION SWITCH IN NEW DJI FLY APP RELEASE

I'm sure that would make a lot of happy users!

Ricardo.
2021-11-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, Ricardo. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'll make sure to relay your feedback to our team for any potentials. We truly appreciate your great support
2021-11-18
Use props
Ricci.Hidalgo
lvl.1
Chile

DJI Diana Posted at 11-18 08:47
Hi, Ricardo. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'll make sure to relay your feedback to our team for any potentials. We truly appreciate your great support

Thank you so much DJI Diana!
2021-11-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Ricci.Hidalgo Posted at 11-18 09:33
Thank you so much DJI Diana!

You're most welcome, Ricardo. Should you need to contact us for any reason, please know that we are always here to help. Thank you for choosing DJI.
2021-11-18
Use props
SilverWing
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8851040 ft
Australia

I would like to add my wishes for this feature; I'm so used to manually landing, and sometimes hand landing - this hover-check-autoland sequence is disconcerting.  I suspect it would be too much to ask for the Mavic 3 to be supported in the GO4 app (I just prefer its greater functionality), but if the FLY app could be extended to where it has all the functionality of GO4 I'd be happy.
2021-11-21
Use props
SilverWing
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8851040 ft
Australia

(apologies on the accidental double-post)
2021-11-21
Use props
djiuser_MxRrcNpa7hh5
lvl.1

United States

I agree! I use the landing protection switch all of the time on the Mavic 2 Pro. Now that I have the Mavic 3 I cannot believe that feature is not an option. I am constantly hand catching the drone on most of my jobs where landing on the ground is not an option. Turning the landing protection off in this situation makes the hand catch a lot easier and safer!

Please restore the landing protection switch!!

2021-11-23
Use props
c_future
lvl.4
Austria

Same here! On boats or slight moving objects it will be impossible to hand catch / land otherwise
2022-2-20
Use props
jerryway
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4031483 ft
United States

Could someone upload a screenshot of the protection landing switch setting in GO4 app? I am very curious to know what it looks like.
2022-2-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

c_future Posted at 2-20 06:54
Same here! On boats or slight moving objects it will be impossible to hand catch / land otherwise

Boat is definitely more difficult, but anything from a standing still is pretty easy. Maybe a boat mode .
2022-2-20
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

That would be nice to exist. Water mode
2022-2-20
Use props
jerryway
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4031483 ft
United States

SilverWing Posted at 2021-11-21 07:48
I would like to add my wishes for this feature; I'm so used to manually landing, and sometimes hand landing - this hover-check-autoland sequence is disconcerting.  I suspect it would be too much to ask for the Mavic 3 to be supported in the GO4 app (I just prefer its greater functionality), but if the FLY app could be extended to where it has all the functionality of GO4 I'd be happy.

I totally agree. Mavic 3's hover-check-autoland sequence is not only disconcerting, but also dangerous. I had my finger cut by the propellers once during the hand catch, because of this unusual behavior.      
Until DJI fix this issue, I recommend wearing cut-resistant gloves during the hand catch, to protect your hand from being cut by the propellers by accident.

Cut-resistant gloves

Cut-resistant gloves

2022-2-20
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

So can you still catch in your hand if standing still? Would be very limiting if you couldn't?
2022-2-20
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

The only instance where you would need to turn landing protection off to make a hand catch would be on a boat or a similar moving platform.  

Otherwise, there is 100% no need to turn landing protection off in order to hand catch any DJI foldable drone when you are not on a boat.  It would be far less safe to hand land with this feature turned off!

Just stick your hand underneath the drone about a foot underneath it.  The drone will recognize there is now something immediately underneath it.  After that, just pull back on the left stick and hold it down until it settles into your hand and the props turn off.  Crazy easy and super predictable.  There’s a million YT videos demonstrating this behavior.  I made a video with the Spark a few years ago demonstrating all the different ways launch and land the Spark. Skip to about 14:10 to see a hand landing demonstration. It would be no different with any of the current lineup of drones as well I do the same with my Mini 2, Air 2S, and Mavic 3.  

2022-2-20
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

KlooGee Posted at 2-20 18:33
The only instance where you would need to turn landing protection off to make a hand catch would be on a boat or a similar moving platform.  

Otherwise, there is 100% no need to turn landing protection off in order to hand catch any DJI foldable drone when you are not on a boat.  It would be far less safe to hand land with this feature turned off!

Thanks!  
Very, very well explained.....   
2022-2-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi KG,

Agree, for hand catching landing no need to  have the need for disabling landing protection.

But wish it was an option though....

If for some reason the bottom sensor measures 0.5 meter height , than with stick down it will enter forcelanding. If you can switch it off....problem away.
Same for flying low (with speed)  at 0.5 meter and stick down.
More situations in wich the forcelanding was triggerd and made drone to crash....

So i am in favour of a option enable/disable landing protection.

Ofcourse better idea for DJI  = automatic disable this feature a) flying with speed and/or b) flying above x meters above taleoff height.

cheers
JJB
2022-2-21
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

The only instance where you would need to turn landing protection off to make a hand catch would be on a boat or a similar moving platform.  

Otherwise, there is 100% no need to turn landing protection off in order to hand catch any DJI foldable drone when you are not on a boat.  It would be far less safe to hand land with this feature turned off!

Hello KlooGee,
Must say, that I enjoyed your video and explanation very much, even if I have an Mavic 2 Pro. It looked so easy the way you so calmly and naturally relaxed explained it. Great video and thanks for showing this. I am sure many will benefit from your video.
Cheers.
2022-2-21
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Another person demanding a landing protection on/off switch.
2022-2-21
Use props
Ricci.Hidalgo
lvl.1
Chile

I do not agree with @KlooGee.

It's easy to hand catch the Mavic (or others) with auto-landing on in normal conditions but there are situations where it's not because you can't predict the exact descent trajectory of the drone (not only the moving platform case), something that is much easier when it's with auto-landing off and remains still.

That is Why DJI had that feature in previous GO4 app.
2022-2-21
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JJB* Posted at 2-21 08:25
Hi KG,

Agree, for hand catching landing no need to  have the need for disabling landing protection.

I agree that it would be great to have it as an option to be able to turn off to be able to assist in other use cases.  However, I was just replying to all the people saying it was necessary to turn it off in order to be able to hand catch it under normal circumstances. There are just so many people that misunderstand this, I wanted to help them understand otherwise.  
2022-2-21
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ricci.Hidalgo Posted at 2-21 14:09
I do not agree with @KlooGee.

It's easy to hand catch the Mavic (or others) with auto-landing on in normal conditions but there are situations where it's not because you can't predict the exact descent trajectory of the drone (not only the moving platform case), something that is much easier when it's with auto-landing off and remains still.

The only other edge case you are talking about is in super gusty wind conditions.  Steady high winds are not a problem, but gusty can be kind of similar to iPod you are on a boat I might say.

Having said that, your last comment about it being available in the Go 4 app.  I don’t see this as being a Go 4 vs Fly app issue.  DJI chose not to give this option in the Go 4 app for at least the DJI Spark as well. It is more a decision of whether they want to enable this feature in a given drone or not than it is an app issue. After all, it’s simply a toggle switch in an app.  
2022-2-21
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

kyalami Posted at 2-21 10:01
Hello KlooGee,
Must say, that I enjoyed your video and explanation very much, even if I have an Mavic 2 Pro. It looked so easy the way you so calmly and naturally relaxed explained it. Great video and thanks for showing this. I am sure many will benefit from your video.
Cheers.

Thanks for the kind words!  I really need to get back to making videos one of these days….
2022-2-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

KlooGee Posted at 2-21 21:00
I agree that it would be great to have it as an option to be able to turn off to be able to assist in other use cases.  However, I was just replying to all the people saying it was necessary to turn it off in order to be able to hand catch it under normal circumstances. There are just so many people that misunderstand this, I wanted to help them understand otherwise.

Hi HG,

I know, it was just merely a addition to your saying about Landing Protection, as not all people understand that this feature can works against you.....

I simply doesn`t understand DJI software engineers...why would landing protection still works when flying in any direction with any speed or flying at 400 ft ?

cheers
JJB
2022-2-22
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JJB* Posted at 2-22 01:35
Hi HG,

I know, it was just merely a addition to your saying about Landing Protection, as not all people understand that this feature can works against you.....

Yep, I completely agree!
2022-2-22
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 2-22 03:24
Yep, I completely agree!

Two things,

1.  Cool video @KlooGee, and of course, I find another Youtube channel that has great content that I did not know about.  

and

2.  Does everybody here have a Youtube channel?  It seems like everyone here is a content producer!  :  )
2022-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules