1194 11 2021-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did DJI overlook 5K 60FPS or is the hardware not capable of handling it?   They offer the PAL equivalent in 50 FPS but not the NTSC 60 FPS.  It seems weird them offering one but not the other. Generally they offer both.
2021-11-18
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

While it is kinda strange to get 50 and not 60 fps, I guess each iteration has to find a limit somewhere. On the Air2S it was 5.4K at 30fps.

I'd hazard an educated guess that the device readout speed is the limit here, as you can generally massage the compression to get you that extra 20% pixel rate. But if there's a hard data rate off the imaging device you're kinda stuck. Either that or the drop in quality for that extra 20% was too bad to ship. I doubt we'll find out, save DJI devs pulling a rabbit out of the hat in later firmware.
2021-11-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

wouldn’t worry about it, 99% of viewing devices will be 1080p or 4k so 99% of users will slow footage to 4K 60fps or 30fps or 25fps you will then get much smoother footage and you shouldn’t feel like you were hard done by on that side of the pond. Unless of course you’re part of the 1%. ;+)
2021-11-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

There is no such thing as PAL or NTSC in the high definition world. It is an obsolete standard definition term.
2021-11-18
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-18 16:49
wouldn’t worry about it, 99% of viewing devices will be 1080p or 4k so 99% of users will slow footage to 4K 60fps or 30fps or 25fps you will then get much smoother footage and you shouldn’t feel like you were hard done by on that side of the pond. Unless of course you’re part of the 1%. ;+)

I shoot high speed demolition sequences.  Explosive demolition and felling of tall structures. So, for me the higher the FPS the better. It would be nice to be able to shot 5K60 to reframe as needed down to 4K.  Although chances are I’m gonna shot 4K120  anyways.  So guess it doesn’t matter.  
2021-11-18
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nicodema Posted at 11-18 16:30
While it is kinda strange to get 50 and not 60 fps, I guess each iteration has to find a limit somewhere. On the Air2S it was 5.4K at 30fps.

I'd hazard an educated guess that the device readout speed is the limit here, as you can generally massage the compression to get you that extra 20% pixel rate. But if there's a hard data rate off the imaging device you're kinda stuck. Either that or the drop in quality for that extra 20% was too bad to ship. I doubt we'll find out, save DJI devs pulling a rabbit out of the hat in later firmware.

One would think at least the cine version could handle all that data.  
2021-11-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Geebax Posted at 11-18 17:04
There is no such thing as PAL or NTSC in the high definition world. It is an obsolete standard definition term.

The terms can be obsolete, but the framerate 'system' (PAL / NTSC) is still very present in 2 situations :
1. Artificial lighting in the frame
2. Combining footage with other camera's.

The first one can cause for flickering when you are on the wrong system (60fps in EU for example).
It does not happen on every type of lightbulb, but I have had very bad results with 30 or 60fps footage.
The second one does hinder me a lot when I'm using multiple camera's. Not all camera's allow for every framerate (or the operator (me....) just forgot.....)
And when I have something in 30 or 60fps, I can't combine that with 25 or 50 fps without slowing it down considerably (or get skipped frames, which you don't want).
2021-11-19
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

DemolitionMan14 Posted at 11-18 17:38
One would think at least the cine version could handle all that data.

Which is why I'm tending to think it's a limitation of the data coming off the sensor, rather than anything further downstream.

Also, good points from Montfrooij
2021-11-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 11-19 02:21
The terms can be obsolete, but the framerate 'system' (PAL / NTSC) is still very present in 2 situations :
1. Artificial lighting in the frame
2. Combining footage with other camera's.

The picture rate is only one sub-component, but the terms PAL and NTSC refer to their respective standards for the encoding of the colour signal. The terms ceased to be relevant with digital broadcasting.  Yes, it is important to match the frame rate with other cameras, and to avoid lighting problems, but the terms should not be used any longer.
2021-11-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Geebax Posted at 11-19 14:47
The picture rate is only one sub-component, but the terms PAL and NTSC refer to their respective standards for the encoding of the colour signal. The terms ceased to be relevant with digital broadcasting.  Yes, it is important to match the frame rate with other cameras, and to avoid lighting problems, but the terms should not be used any longer.

Well, it is the easy way for me to distinguish the 2 systems.  
I have no other term that says it in one word

Maybe you do?
2021-11-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 11-20 03:29
Well, it is the easy way for me to distinguish the 2 systems.  
I have no other term that says it in one word  

I used to work in television, I simply recognise what the various frame rates are and their suitability.
2021-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Geebax Posted at 11-21 17:46
I used to work in television, I simply recognise what the various frame rates are and their suitability.

Nice
For me it is just hobby.
But after 24 years of filming (a few more if you count our first Hi8 camera's too) I have seen a lot of various scenarios in camera's, tech, editing etc.
2021-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules