How Confident are you with Mavic 3 Collision Avoidance?
581 6 2021-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jimerb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1522694 ft
United States

I've got about 20 flights logged on my Mavic 3 but I still don't trust the collision avoidance yet.

Coming from a Phantom 3 which had no collision avoidance, I've programmed myself to be really careful. Staying above the treeline, etc.

I primarily use it for photography and there's times I want to get much closer but I shy away.  The 2nd camera is kind of helpful but i really want to use the main camera.

Question:  How confidant are you with the collision avoidance on the Mavic 3?  At a distance, will you get down below the treeline and not think about it?  

2021-11-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I would always fly my drone like it has no avoidance , I don’t ever depend on them. But I have on a couple of occasions got warnings when backing up to frame shots particularly around mountains or sloping land, and I can honestly say I was completely in the dark , this saved my drone.
So I feel its a bit like a car that has speeds of 140mph, you will probably never need it but its nice to know you have it just in case.

If you fly in areas where there are many obstacles it will be a great advantage, will it be 100% I doubt it . Skydio was designed for one thing only and YT is littered with mishaps .

They are a real benefit particularly now at 360, but they are not infallible, and I don’t believe dji think they are.
"Getting down below tree line is likely to cause loss of signal" .
2021-11-19
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been testing it and its been working fine. It has avoided everything so far. However....its not going to see what we call "ghost limbs", and that is the very thin tree limbs with no leaves on them, they are just too small for the sensors. So you have to know where you are flying so you don't hit those.....or things like power lines, guy wires, etc.
2021-11-19
Use props
Jimerb
lvl.1
United States

KerryG Posted at 11-19 06:52
I have been testing it and its been working fine. It has avoided everything so far. However....its not going to see what we call "ghost limbs", and that is the very thin tree limbs with no leaves on them, they are just too small for the sensors. So you have to know where you are flying so you don't hit those.....or things like power lines, guy wires, etc.

Thanks.  I see on the marketing footage where they have the camera low following the dude on a bike through the woods and I'm thinking....     I'd never do that....
2021-11-19
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 11-19 06:10
I would always fly my drone like it has no avoidance , I don’t ever depend on them. But I have on a couple of occasions got warnings when backing up to frame shots particularly around mountains or sloping land, and I can honestly say I was completely in the dark , this saved my drone.
So I feel its a bit like a car that has speeds of 140mph, you will probably never need it but its nice to know you have it just in case.

2021-11-19
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

This is a very good comment and I totally agree with hallmark. If you use your drone this way, you should be very safe. Fly your drone like it has now avoidance .So why not?
2021-11-19
Use props
Jimerb
lvl.1
United States

I agree with all these comments so far but let me ask...

My understanding regarding the collision avoidance is that it creates a "bubble" of safety around itself and stays out of harms way.

If i was say 20-30 feet above the treeline, would the drone skim up on top rising if needed?

I have no desire to weave in and out of trees but it would be nice to be 50-75 feet in the air while taking pictures.

What would be ideal is that if the drone veered up to avoid trees in it's way rather than down (which might make it clip tiny branches.)

I'm conditioned to be 50-100 feet above the treeline, but it would be nice to get lower.
2021-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules