2460 16 2021-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Ok I bought the Action 2 to do RC model unwraps and videos and education for my YouTube channel..

I cant get more than 5 minutes on it at any resoltion when worn on a head band.

It overheats and stops recording. Same with an without the Front screen attached.

So its 5 minutes shooting then 10 minutes in the freezer over and over again.

This is useless as a piece of technology. Ambient Temp 18C.

2021-11-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Sorry for the unpleasant experience caused. Please be advised that the DJI Action 2 is designed to be compact and highly integrated. Therefore, when recording a high bitrate video for a long time, the camera unit emits much heat. If the device prompts "Device overheated. Unable to record", we recommend that you go through the steps below to extend your shooting duration.

1. Lower the video resolution or frame rate.

2. To record a high bitrate video for a long time, we recommend that you attach the camera unit to the front touchscreen module or power module.

Thank you for your understanding.
2021-11-21
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-21 22:25
Hi, there. Sorry for the unpleasant experience caused. Please be advised that the DJI Action 2 is designed to be compact and highly integrated. Therefore, when recording a high bitrate video for a long time, the camera unit emits much heat. If the device prompts "Device overheated. Unable to record", we recommend that you go through the steps below to extend your shooting duration.

Did all those things it did not help.

The only way to extend record time was to place in Freezer first and keep wiping the condensation off the lens.

Is there going to be a FW update to extend the temp cutoff? If not I think I will return it as its not fit for purpose.

p.s. Having the front screen seems to make it worse. as it also charges the battery that introduces more heat. The Charging Process overheats the unit to a point that reduces the record time down even more.

2021-11-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

bjr981s Posted at 11-21 23:14
Did all those things it did not help.

The only way to extend record time was to place in Freezer first and keep wiping the condensation off the lens.

Hi, there. Could you please tell me the video resolution and frame rate you're using now to record?

Besides, we recommend that you could try to  attach the camera unit to the front touchscreen module to do a test. According to our previous tests, the duration will be extended.

At the same time, if you want to refund it, please kindly know that the following information.
1. Within fourteen (14) calendar days of receiving a product if the product has no manufacturing defect, has not been activated and is still in new or like-new condition.
2. Within fourteen (14) calendar days of receiving a product if the product has a manufacturing defect.
Looking forward to your update.
2021-11-22
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237733 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

I do not like video quality and numerous firmware bugs. The product is merely not ready for the market.
But I must admit that I was able to shoot 4K@50 nearly continuously until the battery gone flat. And I live in Singapore where daytime temperature is 30+ celsius. I can't be sure for Europe where I have heard high temp mode is disabled
2021-11-22
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-22 01:25
Hi, there. Could you please tell me the video resolution and frame rate you're using now to record?

Besides, we recommend that you could try to  attach the camera unit to the front touchscreen module to do a test. According to our previous tests, the duration will be extended.

1080P at 50Hz.

I have to use 50fps as the camera suffers from flicker indoors I have turned anti flicker on in the camera for 50Hz. Anything else the flicker makes the recording unusable.

Also the temp of the camera when being charged exceeds the temp that the recording switches off.
The attachment of the front camera unit makes it worse. Any heat sink effect that it makes to draw heat away from the camera is exceeded by the additional heat that the charging of the camera introduces.

The Camera is obviously activated and carries 2 years of DJI care. While you advise the ability to return for full refund by DJI, it is a bit onerous, it is also in conflict with Australian consumer law. As I have raised already it is not fit for purpose.   
My Care Frefresh period started on 2021/11/04 so 14 days has passed.

Anything else you need?

2021-11-22
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

utkin Posted at 11-22 07:01
I do not like video quality and numerous firmware bugs. The product is merely not ready for the market.
But I must admit that I was able to shoot 4K@50 nearly continuously until the battery gone flat. And I live in Singapore where daytime temperature is 30+ celsius. I can't be sure for Europe where I have heard high temp mode is disabled

Have you tried to use indoors?

How do you disable high temp mode?
2021-11-22
Use props
Gollan
lvl.4
Canada

Which memory card are you using?
2021-11-22
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

bjr981s Posted at 11-22 15:49
Have you tried to use indoors?

How do you disable high temp mode?

Like I said I live in Singapore where outdoor temperature is higher than air-conditioned indoor.

I rather enabled high-temp mode but i have heard it is not allowed in Europe.

I only used camera module alone (as yet) writing to the internal memory
2021-11-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

bjr981s Posted at 11-22 15:32
1080P at 50Hz.

I have to use 50fps as the camera suffers from flicker indoors I have turned anti flicker on in the camera for 50Hz. Anything else the flicker makes the recording unusable.

Hi, there. Sorry for the misleading caused. We are very concerned about your feedback on our products, and we also hope to continue to provide services to you.
Could you tell me the firmware version of DJI Action 2?We'd like to forward your situation to the relevant engineer. Thank you.
2021-11-23
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Gollan Posted at 11-22 16:33
Which memory card are you using?

Samsung Evo Plus 256 gbyte

Have same issue using the internal memory of the camera.

2021-11-23
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

utkin Posted at 11-22 19:57
Like I said I live in Singapore where outdoor temperature is higher than air-conditioned indoor.

I rather enabled high-temp mode but i have heard it is not allowed in Europe.

You did not answer the question. Forget relative temps. have you used indoor?

How do you mount your camera. Is it in a tripod mount or any other surface that will act as a heatsink

I am using a head mount with the DJI mount that came with the camera.Indoors with Anti-flicker turned on. Room with LED downlight.

2021-11-23
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

bjr981s Posted at 11-23 03:04
You did not answer the question. Forget relative temps. have you used indoor?

How do you mount your camera. Is it in a tripod mount or any other service that will act as a heatsink

Yes I tried it indoor too but not as hard as outdoor. Btw outdoor i tried it while walking my dog so it did not get much cooling form the wind.
Anyways, let me try it indoor, i will let you know it went
Update: tried continuous shooting 4K@50 mounted on a small tripod using an adapter - same as the on on your photo. Room temperature 26 C. The recording was terminated about 8 minutes after start. Cutoff temperature is set to high
2021-11-23
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-23 02:10
Hi, there. Sorry for the misleading caused. We are very concerned about your feedback on our products, and we also hope to continue to provide services to you.
Could you tell me the firmware version of DJI Action 2?We'd like to forward your situation to the relevant engineer. Thank you.

Hi Gamora,

Thanks for you assistance in understating more about the issue.

The Firmware is V01.01.0510. It is the firmware version that was requested by Mimo on activation.

These test runs gave me the following results. All were done after 5 -10 minutes in the freezer at -18C this was to cool after the battery charging the gets the unit very hot. I will measure temp for you with my laser temp unit I use to test heat of ESCs and Motors.

4k 50fps. tested  multiple times.These are the durations of the video when it cancels record due to heat.

1: 4:24 Camera Only 3840x2160 Codecs dbgi, AAC, HEVC, Colour Profile HD (1-1-1)
2: 4:01 Camera Only 3840x2160 Codecs dbgi, AAC, HEVC, Colour Profile HD (1-1-1)
3: 3:52 Front Screen 3840x2160 Codecs  AAC, HEVC, Colour Profile HD (1-1-1)
4: 2:54 Front Screen 3840x2160 Codecs  AAC, HEVC, Colour Profile HD (1-1-1)

2.7K 30fps Flicker bad. Due to 30fps

1: 5:18 + 1:09 Camera only 2688x1512 Codecs dbgi, AAC, HEVC, Colour Profile HD (1-1-1) Split across 2 files.
2: 0:28 Camera only 2688x1512 Codecs dbgi, AAC, HEVC, Colour Profile HD (1-1-1) Allowing to cool to cool to the touch. No Freezer.
3: 1:53 Camera only 2688x1512 Codecs dbgi, AAC, HEVC, Colour Profile HD (1-1-1) Allowing to cool to cool to the touch. No Freezer. Stopped due to low battery.

1080P 50fps. Fully charged battery 5 min in Freezer no flicker

1: 10:43 + 5:22 Camera only 1920x1080 Codecs dbgi, AAC, HEVC, Colour Profile HD (1-1-1) Split across 2 files. 10% Space left warning then immediate overheat. But did get 16:05 record time.

Also please note if you leave on File Transfer as it charges it overheats and the connection keeps dropping to the computer. So SD card and Internal storage keeps flickering in and  out.

Let me know if more information or testing is required.

Unclear to me why it drops the dbgi codec when recording to the SD card on the front screen.
Also the battery charge level will cause a power off if the Camera requires charge e.g. 80% and the Front Screen battery level is low it gives low battery warning and then powers down even if the camera itself has plenty of battery..

Just as I finish this post the Memo App has just advised that new FW is available for the Action 2.

Is this update to correct any overheat issues? I will test and advise again once tested.

Cheers

2021-11-23
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

utkin Posted at 11-23 03:44
Yes I tried it indoor too but not as hard as outdoor. Btw outdoor i tried it while walking my dog so it did not get much cooling form the wind.
Anyways, let me try it indoor, i will let you know it went
Update: tried continuous shooting 4K@50 mounted on a small tripod using an adapter - same as the on on your photo. Room temperature 26 C. The recording was terminated about 8 minutes after start. Cutoff temperature is set to high

Thanks for doing that.

Did you get flicker? Did you try anti flicker at 50hz. I am wondering if that has an effect on overheating.
2021-11-23
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

bjr981s Posted at 11-23 06:25
Thanks for doing that.

Did you get flicker? Did you try anti flicker at 50hz. I am wondering if that has an effect on overheating.

Antiflicker settings: auto. No i did not see flickering
2021-11-23
Use props
Mats Collin
lvl.1
Sweden

DJI Gamora Posted at 2021-11-21 22:25

Why is there such a problem with overheating on Action 2 then Osmo Pocket that also records in high bitrate and frame rate has zero issues?!
Im a bit worried when leaks say that you will put the Action 2 camera on top of the upcoming Osmo Pocket 3 (according to leaked specs), then the Osmo Pocket 3 will probably just overheat as well then?

And please why cant EU choose the higher overheat temp in the settings?! Does the camera get hotter faster in EU then another country? Makes no sense.
2023-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules