2182 7 2021-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gusman2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 300262 ft
Netherlands

Dear DJI team,

For some time now DJI does no longer offer DJI Fly Android updates (for me an unkown reason) via Google Play (DJI Fly app not to be found) and Samsung app store (1.4.0 is the most recent version). Currently DJI has issued DJI Fly version 1.5.1, but this version for Android is only available via direct DJI website download or via the DJI Fly app.

I own a by my employer managed Samsung S21 and it prohibits me to install software/updates from third parties such as the DJI website download or the DJI Fly app download. Apart from that, Samsung released recently Android 12 on their S21 smartphones and the DJI Fly app 1.4.0 I have installed will crash when started within the Android 12 OS.

So please DJI team, would you be so kind to offer - next to Apple app store - also new Android DJI Fly updates within Google Play and Samsung app store? This would make the life of DJI owners with managed smartphones much easier. Currently I am unable to fly my DJI Mavic Air 2 due to the fact I am unable to install DJI Fly 1.5.1 on my managed S21.

Thank you for looking into this request.......
2021-11-27
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

It might be not in their hands per se. AFAIK it was a ban imposed by either Google, the Federal Trade Commission or the government of USA. Of course, if they found out what caused the ban and then changed the app accordingly, then it might be a different story.

But yeah, it would make it feel easier and safer if we could get those directly from Google Play Store...
2021-11-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are you sure you can use the phone for personal use like that,   a company I used to work with had strict rules that work devices were not for personal use and it was a dismissable offence.
2021-11-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

A DJI R&D rep posted on this same subject here.
2021-11-28
Use props
NewToThis
lvl.1

New Zealand

It's not just you. I am about to return my drone I got on Saturday as my phone won't allow me to install the app whatsoever. It downloads, looks promising and then I get a message from Samsung Internet that reads "For your security, your phone is not allowed to install unknown apps from this source". At the bottom of the screens I can select "cancel" or "settings". Clicking settings takes me to a screen that has an option to allow apps from this source. It gets to about 70 to 80% and then flashes up a screen with a warning that says "app not installed". My phone is not the latest or greatest but there seems to be a serious issue with the app for a novice drone if I can't download. Do I need to buy a phone "on the list" for up to three times the price of my drone just to be able fly it? A major flaw as far as I can see. It seems this issue has been happening for years now. I would expect a large company like DJI to have sorted this out but instead I see messages copied and pasted that in no way explain what is wrong, why it is happening, how to get around it and more importantly what is happening and when it will be fixed. It shouldn't be this hard to fly a drone, particularly an entry level drone. Whatever is stopping DJI software from being installed from the Google Play store needs to be sorted. To me it makes me think DJI is dodgy or not professional but that is my opinion, for a long time I have aspired to buy a DJI drone. Now I can't wait to be rid of mine.
2021-11-28
Use props
djiuser_WmbvSuiyhXv7
New
Flight distance : 674551 ft
Switzerland

I have the same issue. Phones with work profile will not allow remove the security barrier of installing apps outside official stores.
The issue is not legal, because DJI can also offer the app (including with modern UI redesign) in Apple store, another American company.

Please, could you update the software by Play Store?
2021-11-28
Use props
WaterMaster
lvl.3
United States

Side Loading an APP: Check with your phone provider they should have a simple walk through on how to side load an APP. Search Youtube, there is always someone showing off their 'smarts' and your phone may be the one they use. Downloading a 300mb of APP is a pain, sometimes it takes several tries to get a good copy that doesn't cause the installer to blow up, my second try for my tablet worked, I was lucky on DJI Fly tonight. I still have to do my phones Verizon and T-Mobile...
2021-11-29
Use props
Gusman2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 300262 ft
Netherlands

Thank you for your updates.

I still do not know why DJI is able to offer DJI Fly updates via the Apple store, but not via Google Play in relation to the fact DJI has been put on a blacklist by the US. I understand a lot of DJI drone users own a Samsung smartphone, so it would be great if DJI would at least update the DJI Fly 1.4.0 app to the latest Android DJI Fly version in the Samsung app store. Currently I am unable to fly my Mavic Air 2 via DJI Fly 1.4.0 (installed via the Samsung app store) on my managed Samsung S21 (Android 12).

As an alternative I have bought and installed the Litchi app (via Google play)....

2021-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules