Pocket 2 and the shutter speed weirdness.
1822 3 2021-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dia1Up
New
Canada

Recently I started playing with 24fps. The theory of lower shutter speeds and lower ISOs, tend to suit my videos well. Of course the golden rule of the 180 degree shutter speed. But this isn't how the Pocket 2 works.
Searching online hasn't proved much use as most people just say "well if you are getting choppy footage, make sure you set your shutter speed". But of course, that is the root of this problem as a whole.

This is where I discovered how strange the automatic shutter speed in the Pocket 2 starts to act. It seems that the Pocket 2 doesn't take framerate in to account at all when auto setting shutter speed. Swapping between the frame rates is showing the same automatic shutter speed (24, 30, 60 doesn't matter). What's even stranger, it's VERY reluctant to go under 1/60th. (Even under 1/120th sometimes). Shooting at 24fps, the camera would rather bump up the ISO more, over lowering the shutter speed lower than 1/60th even at 24fps. Which of course I'm sure most of you know the 180 degree rule, (not that the Pocket 2 even has a 1/48th at all).

Basically the camera is calibrated to keep a certain shutter speed, which from what I can tell is optimized for 30fps. No more or less. With no option to change that.

Pro mode only lets you set max iso, unelss you go full manual exposure. Of course setting max ISO doesn't mean much if it's going to hang onto 1/60th as long as it can. Manual would be fine, if I didn't need the automatic exposure so much with my use case.

TLDR:

From my personal truely intermediate skill level user stand point, I would really love a shutter priority mode.

And from a beginner/mass market stand point, if I leave the camera in full auto, set my frame rate to the "cinematic" 24fps, and see my footage is choppy, I would just think it's a bad camera. However it's as simple as the camera not changing the shutter speed for the set framerate automatically.

This doesn't seem like a hardware problem, I'm sure it's a simple few lines of code that can be added to the firmware just to do a simple check of framerate setting, and adjust the optimized target shutter speed from there. This would greatly improve the intermediate and beginner's user experiance.
2021-11-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Shutter priority mode (or fixed ISO)
Grab your ND's and shoot manually.
That is the only way right now.
2021-11-27
Use props
Dia1Up
New
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-27 12:45
Shutter priority mode (or fixed ISO)
Grab your ND's and shoot manually.
That is the only way right now.

Sadly I know :/

Hence this post. I haven't seen it talked about anywhere. I would defiantly would like to see it fixed.
2021-12-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dia1Up Posted at 12-1 11:24
Sadly I know :/

Hence this post. I haven't seen it talked about anywhere. I would defiantly would like to see it fixed.

We can only hope DJI will add this.
2021-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules