627 13 2021-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_UAPzMrwJbYVy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3072448 ft
  • >>>
United States

I saw someone post that they didn’t need ND filters and could just adjust the aperature  while flying. Is there any truth to this? I thought the ND filters helped you get desired shutter speed and were needed
2021-11-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

And so does adjusting the aperture.
There are no hard rules.
Experiment and use whatever gives you the effect you like.

2021-11-30
Use props
Chest Rockwell
lvl.3
United States

Adjustable aperture gives more flexibility, but ND filters give you even more. I'm not sure exactly what it is on the M3 but every lens has a maximum resolution point and then diffraction (I believe that's the term) is introduced making for softer images. ND filters help you stay within the sweet spot of the camera's aperture range.

So ND filters are still important, but the advantage of an adjustable aperture means that:

A) You don't have to land the drone to swap filters if the light changes (just adjust the aperture as needed), and
B) You can adjust aperture for creative use of depth of field, which the new 4/3 sensor should produce better than previous DJI models.
2021-11-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Good day and thank you for posting these information. For additional reference in using ND Filters. These filters offer more options in shutter speed adjustment and long-exposure shooting, and effectively respond to uses such as photos, videos, and Hyperlapse footage. In addition the ND filters helps you capture real colors with stunning highlight and low-light details. Thank you.
2021-11-30
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

If you are a Pro, ND filters are a must.
2021-11-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As Chris says if you want to control your aperture, shutter speed to specific settings you'll also need the ND filters,   If you just want to control bright light situations then you can just use the aperture but the footage wont be quite as cinematic.
2021-12-1
Use props
CGPhoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>
United States

The lens is not the sharpest at f11 but it can work. In full sunlight you can get the shutter speed down to about 120. It's a little fast but gives ok results for 60fps video. If you shoot near sunrise or sunset you can get slower shutter speeds. With ND filters you can keep the aperture around f4-5.6 where it is sharpest in bright sunlight and get slower shutter speeds like 50 that you would want to use if shooting in 24fps. If you are shooting in log format your ISO is going to be at 400 and thus you are going to need to cut your light by a factor of 4 just to compensate for the ISO bump.
2021-12-1
Use props
WKKL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 681283 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Hi all,
I know this is an old post - Anyone can guide me on which ND filters to buy?
Or point me to an article that is useful to further understand ND Filters?

I been trying the slow mo on the M3 - but under a sunny days - it just don't work -- the exposure just to much and everything is lost....

Thank you Fellow Pilots.

2022-4-17
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

WKKL Posted at 4-17 23:06
Hi all,
I know this is an old post - Anyone can guide me on which ND filters to buy?

This is an excellent article that describes Frame rate/shutter speed.

https://vimeo.com/blog/post/frame-rate-vs-shutter-speed-setting-the-record-str
2022-4-18
Use props
WKKL
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Flormo2002 Posted at 4-18 16:41
This is an excellent article that describes Frame rate/shutter speed.

https://vimeo.com/blog/post/frame-rate-vs-shutter-speed-setting-the-record-str

Thank you Flormo2002
2022-4-18
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi all,
I know this is an old post - Anyone can guide me on which ND filters to buy?

Buy the official DJI ones.

ND filters are simply sunglasses for your camera. You ideally want to shoot with your shutter speed at double your framerate.

So if you're filming at 60fps, you want a shutter speed of 1/120. The ND filters really come into use if you're shooting at 25fps and the shutter needs to be around 1/50 - that's a lot of light to let into the camera on a bright day.

What OP is saying isn't really correct, unless you're filming late into the evening. I will say, in my professional opionion; avoid higher aperture F stops if possible and remain in the f2.8-5.6 range. Any higher and the aperture becomes so small that you end up introducing unwanted noise into the footage. Always prioritise reducing unwanted light by using the ND filters first.
2022-4-19
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi all,
I know this is an old post - Anyone can guide me on which ND filters to buy?

I bought the NISI Cinema and Cinema Plus kits from B&H.  Haven't had a chance to use them but was told NISI filter are pretty good.
2022-4-19
Use props
WKKL
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

DemolitionMan14 Posted at 4-19 12:02
I bought the NISI Cinema and Cinema Plus kits from B&H.  Haven't had a chance to use them but was told NISI filter are pretty good.

Do you have a link to where this can be purchased?
I like the the original DJI ones but it sooooooooooooooooooo expensive..
2022-4-19
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

WKKL Posted at 4-19 17:12
Do you have a link to where this can be purchased?
I like the the original DJI ones but it sooooooooooooooooooo expensive..

On sale (15% Off) until 11:59pm EST Today 4/20

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1683028-REG/nisi_nid_djimavic3_cinekit_cinema_filter_kit_for.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1683029-REG/nisi_nid_djimavic3_cineplus_cinema_filter_kit_plus.html
2022-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules