RSC2 - 360 panoramas
4961 5 2021-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Michaelpop84
lvl.3
Flight distance : 264354 ft
Luxembourg

Just got my new DJI RSC2. Great product. Besides video, I bought it also to make 360 panos, but found that as it is, it can't be used for making 360 panoramas, therefore I have some questions to those who already tried, and in the same time some improvement requests to @DJI

1. For 360 panos, the most important thing is setting the NPP - No Parallax Point. Or Entry Pupil. The point where the image is projected/inverted, which is usually at some point in the lens, not at its tip, not at the sensor, as seen in the image below which shows the NPP from 3 angles.
mblogthumb-phinf.pstatic.net.jpeg As the RSC has to be balanced AND the tilt motor+arm are on the side where also the DSLR is heaviest, the vertical axis NPP can't be met. Same for the horizontal axis, due to the balance the camera is way more forward than the NPP. See the two images below. Green is where the NPP should be, red is where the axis is now, sorry for the lines not being straight as I just handsketched them quickly.
IMG_1373.jpg IMG_1374.jpg
This small shift means a lot for 360 panoramas, resulting in huge stitching errors as this for example:

The question is if other users managed to solve this somehow. Maybe by adding some balast weight to the left and rear in order to compensate and balance the camera in the correct NPP? DJI, what's your opinion, how could this be solved, to shift the camera to the right position? If the tilt motor/arm would only have been on the other side...

2. Second question, rather app improvement suggestion, which is directly related to DJI's Ronin app:
this is the pattern generated by the app to make a 360x135degree panorama, with 8mm and with 15mm lens, 30% overlapping:
IMG_1376.PNG IMG_1377.PNG
This means 5x3 and 7x4 photos. In reality, a lot less photos are needed. 8 shots for 8mm, 15 shots for 15mm. The Ronin app takes 15 and 28photos. The best simulation can be done on https://panocatcher.com/panoplanner/ which can help you optimize your algorithms.
Screenshot 2021-12-04 at 22.30.25.png Screenshot 2021-12-04 at 22.30.44.png
Things change even more if one uses a fisheye lens. For the 8mm focal length, only 4 photos are needed. For 15mm, 9 are needed. As you can see, way less than for "normal" lens. Therefore, I would kindly suggest that you also add a selector for normal vs fisheye lens, as you did the selector for full format vs other sensor formats. And please inspire from https://panocatcher.com/panoplanner/ which is very accurate! Currently, the pattern is very bad. For example it looks up (+90 degrees) and makes 4 photos. Absolutely useless making 4 photos at +90 for a panorama, they all "see the same".

Looking forward for your inputs!

Screenshot 2021-12-04 at 22.30.44.png
2021-12-4
Use props
djiuser_eO96V0ASLmTD
New

Finland

Following.
2022-2-5
Use props
Michaelpop84
lvl.3
Luxembourg

Seems you don't have too much to follow...
2022-2-5
Use props
djiuser_eO96V0ASLmTD
New

Finland

Yeah :/ Just wanted to lift this post up to get more attention to it. I'm planning on buying RSC2 mainly for panorama and timelapse shooting. Can you tell if mobile connection to the gimbal is needed only for the parameter setup and starting the shooting sequence, or do mobile phone need to be connected to the gimbal for the whole time the shooting is in process? For timelapses it would be hours.. And you might not want to stay at the gimbal-camera with your phone the whole time.. Couldn't find this info anywhere.
2022-2-5
Use props
Michaelpop84
lvl.3
Luxembourg

djiuser_eO96V0ASLmTD Posted at 2-5 16:34
Yeah :/ Just wanted to lift this post up to get more attention to it. I'm planning on buying RSC2 mainly for panorama and timelapse shooting. Can you tell if mobile connection to the gimbal is needed only for the parameter setup and starting the shooting sequence, or do mobile phone need to be connected to the gimbal for the whole time the shooting is in process? For timelapses it would be hours.. And you might not want to stay at the gimbal-camera with your phone the whole time.. Couldn't find this info anywhere.

My conclusion:
- with counterweights you can reach the NPP on the lens axis. But at least for my camera, the lens is 1.5-2cm too left, as seen in the first photo, and that cannot be countered. Would be acceptable for scenes with objects which are at a higher distance. Also, the fact that the mobile app doesn't calculate right fisheye lens is annoying, but let's say that this is not SOOO bad, given that it makes too many shots and it's still better than doing less than needed. It's only unprofessional, or unfinished. As...many of their products and software.
2022-2-5
Use props
paul8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 966342 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry that I cannot offer any solutions to the issue you've outlined here.. You have illustrated the problem very well and it is disappointing that they didn't take this into account when designing the thing.  I was getting excited about the automatic programming of panoramas using the RSC 2 but looks like I'll be sticking with my Nodal Ninja instead... such a shame
2022-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules