The video says it all...
2021-12-12
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I may or may not have had a similar experience with a P3, and it may not have faired so well.  Did you have OA on?  
2021-12-12
Use props
pedzsan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 153625 ft
  • >>>
United States

OA was on.  I had not really changed much at all.  But, I'm not surprised it can't see telephone lines.  The documentation basically says that it can't see small branches.
2021-12-12
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry. You got lucky only props were damaged. Thank you for sharing!
I have been living for a very long time in so called master planned city, where 90% of all wiring is hidden underground. Exceptions are some old blocks here and there, but they are rare.
It's easy to forget that such things as power and phone lines exist...
2021-12-12
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

You lucky lucky man!
2021-12-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

wow, would have been worse if that truck passing by had pushed your M3 off the line....

Happy many landings,
cheers
JJB
2021-12-12
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

hmmm, i wouldn't exactly call that a blunder.  i wouldn't even do that with my skydio.  you don't have an air2 or a mini you can go poking around the neighborhood with instead of [mis]using an uber expensive cine?
2021-12-12
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I appreciate and thank you for sharing this experience.  Any opportunity for the lessons without the consequences is greatly valued.
2021-12-12
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 12-12 12:15
hmmm, i wouldn't exactly call that a blunder.  i wouldn't even do that with my skydio.  you don't have an air2 or a mini you can go poking around the neighborhood with instead of [mis]using an uber expensive cine?

THIS is exactly the right way to play it.  @The Saint - we think alike.  Put the mini 2 into the line of fire, and figure out the obstacles.  : )
2021-12-12
Use props
pedzsan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 153625 ft
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 12-12 12:46
THIS is exactly the right way to play it.  @The Saint - we think alike.  Put the mini 2 into the line of fire, and figure out the obstacles.  : )

Well... the obstacle is me.  You know: Everywhere you go, there you are.

You have a very interesting ego structure though.
2021-12-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there pedzsan. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Drone and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate event happened to the said DJI Drone, I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2021-12-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I actually tested the M3 OA on a neighbors antenna's narrow aluminum elements a few weeks ago after a close call on RTH. The only sensor that detected the antenna elements was the front sensor and that was at a distance of only 10 inches. None of the other sensors, including the top one, detected it at all.

It's a good thing that those wires were not the uninsulated ones, or worse yet, the high voltage ones. Fireworks!

2021-12-12
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-12 19:41
I actually tested the M3 OA on a neighbors antenna's narrow aluminum elements a few weeks ago after a close call on RTH. The only sensor that detected the antenna elements was the front sensor and that was at a distance of only 10 inches. None of the other sensors, including the top one, detected it at all.

It's a good thing that those wires were not the uninsulated ones, or worse yet, the high voltage ones. Fireworks!

@GaryDoug I hope that DJI will consider offering the legacy RTH methodology.  Although I appreciate their attempt to innovate and think differently about RTH, I really need to have the ability to work around obstacles.  I guess we will see!  
2021-12-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 12-12 21:03
@GaryDoug I hope that DJI will consider offering the legacy RTH methodology.  Although I appreciate their attempt to innovate and think differently about RTH, I really need to have the ability to work around obstacles.  I guess we will see!

I was very interested when I first read about the advanced RTH design. But after my incident...maybe not so impressed.
2021-12-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Lucky you.
I personally would not trust that kind of money to some small camera and a bit of software.
(OA)
2021-12-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very lucky outcome.   
2021-12-13
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

Well, that could have gone much worse!

Ironically, if the drone had been at 90 degrees to the road, so pointing along the wires, it probably would have been able to "see" them. As it was, the wires were parallel to the top OA sensors, and hence "unrangeable" - like you can't see how far a horizontal wire is away from you without tilting your head.

Thanks for sharing
2021-12-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, you were quite lucky as things could have gone much worse.  
2021-12-13
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-12 21:45
I was very interested when I first read about the advanced RTH design. But after my incident...maybe not so impressed.

Yes, in a perfect world where the rpic is not near power lines or other undetectable objects the smart RTH seems impressive.  However, things like your neighbors antenna and other obstacles that are difficult for obstacle avoidance make this a very nerve racking experience.  

In the plus column, we got a significant feature update delivered early, so many thanks to DJI,  And hoping that this is a sign of more features to come to the Fly app and the M3.  
2021-12-13
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

Holey doley, you were very lucky to get your drone back in one piece. I am sure that next time you go up, you will check that nothing is in the way. The OA system is not as good as you would think and it would be difficult to make it see some small thin wires. Hopefully they will get better. You should by a lottery ticket.
2021-12-13
Use props
sclelectronics
Second Officer
United States

I am the type of flier that always knows the surrounding I fly In.
Any type of hazard to Me, my drone and the public....
I am glad your incident had a good ending...
But it could have been Much, much worst

Stay Safe! When You Fly!
2021-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules