Lost Control Close Range, stick imputs unresponsive
760 4 2021-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EliasAU
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53209400 ft
Australia

Hi There, I was flying my DJI Air 2S and coming in for a landing no more than 50m away from me, suddenly it tipped down as in camera angle instantly around 5 degrees as I selected forward flight to come in to land it,
The Air 2S suddenly went to full speed forward, I immediately changed the forward motion to full stick reverse but it just kept coming in,
I had obstacle avoidance on and it hit the plants just as the reverse kicked in, I trimmed some plants before it backed up.

This is the first time it has ever caused an issue where I had no stick control, I have been a quad pilot since quads first came out with over a thousand hours of experience in RC gear. 45 years of RC.

I am curious to see if anyone else has had any similar experiences with a full speed runaway and stick inputs dont work at close range.
The speed was identical to sports mode at full stick even though my stick input was a gentle motion and I was in cine mode as I was taking video at the time.
None the less I have some interesting video to show friends now from my runaway.

2021-12-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there EliasAU. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please and did you receive any error messages on the DJI Fly application when this is happened? In addition, kindly please fly your DJI Air 2S to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist. The said DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. In addition, please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission. Thank you.
2021-12-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi! You might be better off posting your question in the 'products' section of this forum.  That is way more active and include your log - http://phantomhelp.com/logviewer/ .    -   https://forum.dji.com/forum-129-1.html
2021-12-14
Use props
EliasAU
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53209400 ft
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-13 23:33
Hello there EliasAU. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please and did you receive any error messages on the DJI Fly application when this is happened? In addition, kindly please fly your DJI Air 2S to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist. The said DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. In addition, please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission. Thank you.

I am uploading a video so you can see the video all of a sudden just dip and then accelerate towards the cliff, yes I initially made the forward motion but backed off immediately. I was so remote, very far away from any population, any buildings, and cell towers, ie: it is radio interference free.
The mobile phone I am using is the iPhone 8 Plus, The FJI Fly App had (no errors on the screen) I looked at the log it said Vision System Blocked fly with caution but this was after it wouldnt respond to stick movement. no audio announcements of obstacles as it approached the cliff wall covered in vegetation., but it also happened very quickly.
I was not doing any special functions, I was simply recording video.
The iphone works very well I have recently wiped and re-installed the latest IOS.
The firmware on all the DJI gear is the latest, The obstacle avoidance lenses are always checked and clean before take off.
I havent had any other issues except some staggered video once when I was at 3km distance which went fine a moment later as I turned. So everything is working, today I flew for the entire day, many hours of flights, one thing only happened and that was a sphere image did not capture, it went through the entire process but there was no image at the end, but I dont mind small bugs here and there, the loss of control was not a small bug.
I have been flying for 45+ years, I build many of my own many 10" and 7" quads for long range, Im an electronics engineer and a computer engineer, so I understand nothing is perfect, but stick control should be, I will keep an eye on it and if it happens again I will attempt to gather very precise details.

Thanks for the replies to all

Oh here is the video (Also please not I was doing follow mode earlier with the Air 2S avoiding low branches, shrubs and everything as you will see in the trace of the video, I deliberately went into thick scrub to check how well it works then after that I flew outside in the clear sky and yes it said it had a blacked vision system but notice how the video dips, this was when the full forward started and I was inputting full reverse.

Also besides my word in saying I was full stick back you can see it in the log files too

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/FRHMCLQ7B3BBBAAYW0YQ/

2021-12-14
Use props
Robert129
lvl.1

Canada

Exactly the same experience.  I have the Air 2S  When I was in optical avoidance, the drone hovered over me about 30 ft in the air,  I could not control the drone!!  The sticks would not allow it to land and  when I operated the sticks it kind of went haywire!!  Have since taken it out of optical avoidance and it is working as it should.  Am totally scared to  fly it again using Optical Avoidance, I don't want to crash it.!!  Bob
2023-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules