Why does the Yaw restrict forward motion so much?
536 13 2021-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm having a hard time understanding why DJI have made it so that when the Mavic is hard Yawing left or right, the drone will not fly forwards when given that stick command. It just circles and no matter if its 10% forward or 100% forward stick input, the drone just completes a very small circle of the exact same size.

Very useless in my opinion and not flying like any of the other drones they make, which of course makes the drone different to fly and behaves slightly different in the air, especially when making banked turns.

I would like to see a setting to turn this off in the next update, it's not right to restrict the forward speed in a yaw.

I encourage people to try this to see what I mean:
Yaw hard left or right so the Mavic 3 is spinning on the spot and then give a forward input. Watch the size of the circle, now increase the forward input and the circle does not change.

Typically any other drone would have an ever increasingly large circle until you hit 100% forward throttle and this allows for large banked turns. This drone just dances around in a small little circle irrespective of the forward input.
2021-12-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are you 100% yawing?  If so perhaps back it off a little.
2021-12-17
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-17 04:53
Are you 100% yawing?  If so perhaps back it off a little.

Yep, but none of the other drones do this, so why this one now..

I'm out flying this to put the hours in, but I'm finding that it doesn't fly like the others due to this. The reason is that it slows down when I start a banked turn, so there's no chance of keeping up top speed and banking at the same time.
2021-12-17
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

Try to disable Obstacle Avoidance and try again, maybe the drone is slowing down because it can't scan obstacles and wants to make sure there is nothing in the way.
2021-12-17
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yaros1 Posted at 12-17 05:35
Try to disable Obstacle Avoidance and try again, maybe the drone is slowing down because it can't scan obstacles and wants to make sure there is nothing in the way.

…I never fly with obstacle avoidance on.
2021-12-17
Use props
MM M3 Cine
lvl.2
United States

Mine does this too. Extremely irritating.
2021-12-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have to agree with you, it flys a bit like a Scabby Dog with an itch. It definitely needs optimization and although I have tamed it a little by just using it and trying to set exp to help I’m still having problems. Don’t get me wrong I love what the drone can do image wise but it doesn’t fly anything like the Air Air2s or M2P or Zoom. Much work needs to be done.
2021-12-17
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Keep your old M2p...I am.
2021-12-17
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 12-17 22:05
Keep your old M2p...I am.

Yes, at the moment the crop on the 10bit, 360 photosphere, no landing protection and natural flight controls all trump the M3.

I am keeping a firm grip on my M2P for now.
2021-12-18
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have now further tested this and I can only begin to say that the Yaw restricts movement in ANY direction.

Once the drone begins to Yaw even slightly from a standstill, 1-100% stick input has the exact same input.

This means that the drone cannot make a large circle motion to circle a point of interest, if the left and right sticks are in the following position. (Mode 2)

This feels as if the drone is in some sort of beginner mode and it's stopping me from being able to fly the drone in a natural way. DJI needs to change this, it's not right.
2021-12-22
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

CloudVisual Posted at 12-22 06:00
I have now further tested this and I can only begin to say that the Yaw restricts movement in ANY direction.

Once the drone begins to Yaw even slightly from a standstill, 1-100% stick input has the exact same input.

Well that's truly bizarre, since we've seen loads of examples of people shooting manual large orbits. If they had the behaviour you describe, it'd be impossible. Finding it hard to reconcile the two. You say that you get this partial lock out for any amount of yaw, even a tiny amount? Originally you were talking about 100% yaw.

Do you have any sample flight footage?
2021-12-22
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicodema Posted at 12-22 06:10
Well that's truly bizarre, since we've seen loads of examples of people shooting manual large orbits. If they had the behaviour you describe, it'd be impossible. Finding it hard to reconcile the two. You say that you get this partial lock out for any amount of yaw, even a tiny amount? Originally you were talking about 100% yaw.

Do you have any sample flight footage?

The problem is that I can do large orbits in flight, it seems to allow it, but you have to be moving left or right to begin with and then introduce the yaw to make the orbit. If you Yaw first then fly left or right, it will fly in a small circle.
2021-12-22
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

CloudVisual Posted at 12-22 06:13
The problem is that I can do large orbits in flight, it seems to allow it, but you have to be moving left or right to begin with and then introduce the yaw to make the orbit. If you Yaw first then fly left or right, it will fly in a small circle.

Ah, I see. Definitely a bit odd. Hopefully something DJI can iron out.

On the plus side, that IS a peculiar way to start an orbit, so it's relatively unlikely to impinge on normal flight. I guess that's probably why their testers didn't spot it. So, good to bring it up.
2021-12-22
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The problem here is that DJI are altering how the drone behaves in the air depending on the current state of the flight. Unless you're flying in a cinematic/tripod/POI mode, the sticks should behave EXACTLY as they have been programmed to in the gains settings.

With these settings at the moment, it's very difficult to make a wide rising, circling jib shot - something I do a lot.

Another problem to throw on the pile. I'm not impressed with this drone so far
2021-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules