Another contribution to the "iz the zoom digital?" debate
524 6 2021-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Here's a little video I made at the local shopping mall this afternoon.  It uses a lot of the zoom function, which I don't think I had tried before.  I think it works well as a means of reframing a shot where it might not be possible to simply get closer to do so.  Overall, the benefit of reframing outweighs any minor loss of quality.  It's certainly better than I would expect to get when reframing (digital zooming) in post-production.  Shot in 4K25, auto exposure.  The chief quality issue for me is actually the blown highlights...

2021-12-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you noticed the volume shifts when you zoom in?
2021-12-18
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

When the zoom is engaged, the centre channel is given prominence in the shape of level and high frequency boost.  Zoomed audio, they call it.  In some contexts it is quite effective.  I guess if I had wanted to hear the conversations taking place... but I didn't.  To be honest I'd forgotten about that feature.
2021-12-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I never use the zoom feature.
It feels unnatural to me compared to walking with the P2.
That blown highlight is a common issue with auto exposure.
The camera tries to expose 'average'.
You better lower the AE to about -0.7 to get rid of most of it.
2021-12-18
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 12-18 13:31
I never use the zoom feature.
It feels unnatural to me compared to walking with the P2.
That blown highlight is a common issue with auto exposure.

I have to admit I didn't think much about basic picture quality when I shot this.  Your recommendations are good. Fortunately the overexposed areas were in background areas where it didn't really matter.  Somewhere I've got a variable ND filter for it...
2021-12-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Good day and thank you for posting this wonderful video you have filmed using your DJI Pocket 2. Nicely done and have a nice day. .
2021-12-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-18 16:39
I have to admit I didn't think much about basic picture quality when I shot this.  Your recommendations are good. Fortunately the overexposed areas were in background areas where it didn't really matter.  Somewhere I've got a variable ND filter for it...

ND filters won't do much. Variable ND filters maybe, but only when they can cover the 'exact' part of the area that is bright.
2021-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules