Camera is tilted on my FPV... please help
3260 11 2021-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DP2021
lvl.1

Belarus

Hello,My camera is very often always horizontally tilted.
Below are a couple pictures - all of them were taken while the drone was simply hovering... I tried both the Normal and the Sport mode - same result.
What can I do about it?

Thank you!

DJI_0038.JPG
DJI_0062.JPG
2021-12-25
Use props
roadkill_fpv
lvl.1

United States

This looks like the drone fighting prevailing wind aloft. If you were to yaw in a 360 degree, you would see that the quad is tilting to maintain location per gps. The fact that it is leaning to the left in one picture and to the right in the other indicates that it is not the camera, but the drone doing it's job of maintaining position. If you want to eliminate the 'lean', you may require a different drone with a camera gimbal that will lock horizon... like the Mavic.
2021-12-25
Use props
DP2021
lvl.1

Belarus

I understand, thank you for the reply. I didn't feel like the wind was particularly strong.
There were no wind alerts in the goggles as well.

Does it have nothing to do with gimbal calibration?
2021-12-26
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

DP2021 Posted at 12-26 03:03
I understand, thank you for the reply. I didn't feel like the wind was particularly strong.
There were no wind alerts in the goggles as well.

Since you have posted in the DJI FPV drone forum, I assume you have the DJI FPV Drone, with FPV Goggles V2.

If this is the case, you should understand that the gimbal only moves up and down in the pitch axis. There is no roll or yaw movement available. This is not a "gimbal drone" like the Mavic, Phantom and Inspire model ranges. It is designed for FPV flight, where the flight camera moves with the airframe. If you are looking for stabilised videos and photos, this isn't the drone to use.

If you have erroneously posted in the wrong forum, and you have maybe a Mini 2 or Air 2S, then I'd suggest you do have a gimbal problem, or have mistakenly selected FPV gimbal mode. If so, try posting in the right forum, so that people can help you better.
2021-12-26
Use props
DP2021
lvl.1

Belarus

Correct, I have the FPV.
I understand that the gimbal is not horizontally stabilized. But maybe the gimbal is somehow otherwise wrong?
I got my drone second-hand. Maybe it's not attached properly or somehow broken?
Sorry for the newbie questions, and thank you for your help
2021-12-26
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DP2021 Posted at 12-26 03:40
Correct, I have the FPV.
I understand that the gimbal is not horizontally stabilized. But maybe the gimbal is somehow otherwise wrong?
I got my drone second-hand. Maybe it's not attached properly or somehow broken?

the two pictures you posted are tilted in opposite directions. If the gimbal was misaligned, a) you'd see it just by looking at the camera from the front and b) it would be tilted the same in both shots.

It sounds like you are expecting something different to what you bought. How about taking it for a flight and posting the video? It should then be obvious how the camera and drone are behaving and we can give you a bit more informed advice. A couple of stills leaves us very much in the dark as to what you are really seeing.
Also, if you lightly grip the camera, does it wobble apart from up and down? Does it feel loose and does it rattle about?

Have fun.
2021-12-26
Use props
DP2021
lvl.1

Belarus

Thank you for your reply.

It does wobble, but I guess it's natural since it's on a rubber?

As for a video, it's a whole different issue... for some reason my video is all jitterish.
Here are the examples:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzumxpb8yz4k6s7/DJI_0050.MP4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/diiv8mcus605rfp/DJI_0073.MP4?dl=0

Do you have ideas on what might be causing this? Thank you again...
2021-12-26
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Your gimbal seems fine, judging by the footage. Yes, the soft mount will allow you to wiggle the camera slightly, you're right there. It's more if it was "clonking about" which it doesn't sound like it is. In the first clip I can see snow blowing from left to right, indicating that there is wind, hence the lift to the left to hold station.

As for the footage playback, it's high bandwidth and your computer is not able to handle it. My MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014, 2.8GHz Quad i7) is also not up to the job. It plays the first second or so smoothly, then starts to "chug". If I play the low res version that dropbox renders, that plays smoothly, so I know it's my machine. 4K p60 is a high data rate for machines other than up to date workhorses.

You will find rendering it down to 2k7 or 1080p will make it watchable.
2021-12-26
Use props
DP2021
lvl.1

Belarus

Oh so glad to learn my drone is ok in both senses! Thank you SO much for the explanation and your help!

While we're at it, though, can you explain me the next? If the drone is trying to fight wind, why does it tilt? I thought it would just adjust the speeds of propellers accordingly (playing with sides) to stay level? Just being curious here.

Thanks!
2021-12-26
Use props
roadkill_fpv
lvl.1

United States

DP2021 Posted at 12-26 12:47
Oh so glad to learn my drone is ok in both senses! Thank you SO much for the explanation and your help!

While we're at it, though, can you explain me the next? If the drone is trying to fight wind, why does it tilt? I thought it would just adjust the speeds of propellers accordingly (playing with sides) to stay level? Just being curious here.

Here is a short video showing my quad maintaining position and performing a 360 degree yaw maneuver.  For the quad to create lift, it spins the propellers. For the quad to have a movement in a particular direction, part of that lift component needs to be directed in the opposite direction that you want the quad to move. So if I want the quad to move forward, the rear props spin faster than the front changing the attitude of the quad so that it tilts forward, thus directing some of the lift component to forward movement. The flight controller in my quad is being directed to maintain geographic position and altitude.  The tilting is the flight controller using as much of the lift component to maintain position as it needs. Attitude video.
2021-12-26
Use props
roadkill_fpv
lvl.1

United States

https://youtu.be/Zz-nCUL_zaU
2021-12-26
Use props
DP2021
lvl.1

Belarus

Wow, this is really helpful. Thank you!