Fly app 1.5.4 requires drone firmware update?
943 13 2021-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EnjoyFlying
lvl.3
United States

Just a quick question on the 1.5.4 fly app update - would it also require a firmware update on any hardware (drone or battery)??

Another quick question - any issues so far?  Did they fix the issue with front led changing, etc. which a couple previous versions all failed to fix?

2021-12-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I haven't checked the firmware version on my mini 2 but no firmware update was required for mine and I do not update firmware unless the new stuff has something I want. But 1.5.4 works with my Mavic Minis too and they have not been updated by me in AGES, if at all.
What front LED issue? I have none as far as I know, all the setting I tried worked.
2021-12-27
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

The problem with turning on the front diode has been fixed in version 1.5.4, but there is still a problem with resetting all gimbal settings. There was one more problem with the occasional resetting of EXP settings for rudder. There is also still a problem with the gimbal stabilization being disabled after using the FPV function previously.
2021-12-27
Use props
MiniManiac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-27 09:27
I haven't checked the firmware version on my mini 2 but no firmware update was required for mine and I do not update firmware unless the new stuff has something I want. But 1.5.4 works with my Mavic Minis too and they have not been updated by me in AGES, if at all.
What front LED issue? I have none as far as I know, all the setting I tried worked.

The early versions of 1.4.12 and 1.5 had an issue with the front led not working correctly, for some it was fixed on one colour with others it was breathing, this was fixed in 1.5.4 second version from memory

As for FW update, even if it asks you can say no.
2021-12-27
Use props
EnjoyFlying
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for all the inputs.  Now, I consider holding off on the update because of the "refuse to climb" issues.  Would like to confirm that they are not related to the 1.5.x first.
2021-12-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniManiac Posted at 12-27 10:14
The early versions of 1.4.12 and 1.5 had an issue with the front led not working correctly, for some it was fixed on one colour with others it was breathing, this was fixed in 1.5.4 second version from memory

As for FW update, even if it asks you can say no.

Thanks, I use 1.3 for the mini 2 which may be why I have no problems.
1.5. is used on another phone for the FPV, that phone was updated to 1.5.4 for the EXP settings. I used the 1.5.4 phone to change the EXP settings on the Mavic Mini and Mini 2
2021-12-27
Use props
MiniManiac
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-27 10:24
1.5. is used on another phone for the FPV, that phone was updated to 1.5.4 for the EXP settings. I used the 1.5.4 phone to change the EXP settings on the Mavic Mini and Mini 2

Why 1.3 specifically?

Im led to believe that the best app version was 1.48
2021-12-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniManiac Posted at 12-27 10:28
Why 1.3 specifically?

Im led to believe that the best app version was 1.48

I don't as a rule update and had connection problems when I trialed 1.2's (for the artificial horizon thing) with the Mavic Mini plus I lost readable DATs so I reverted to pre 1.2.
When I got the mini 2 I skipped the 1.2's and either down loaded the current version at the time or picked a random APK. It has worked for me so I haven't updated it.
What advantages does 1.4.8 have over 1.3?  This would be for the Mini 2 only.
2021-12-27
Use props
MiniManiac
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-27 10:46
I don't as a rule update and had connection problems when I trialed 1.2's (for the artificial horizon thing) with the Mavic Mini plus I lost readable DATs so I reverted to pre 1.2.
When I got the mini 2 I skipped the 1.2's and either down loaded the current version at the time or picked a random APK. I has worked for me so I haven't updated it.
What advantages does 1.4.8 have over 1.3?  This would be for the Mini 2 only.

thats a good question, I was led to believe it was the most stable release so far, seeing as how the 1.4.12 and up had/has issues

I am on 1.5.4 as the only fault is the yaw reset issue, but any app with a bug isnt a fully working app, plus I like the LS option.
2021-12-27
Use props
EnjoyFlying
lvl.3
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-27 10:24
1.5. is used on another phone for the FPV, that phone was updated to 1.5.4 for the EXP settings. I used the 1.5.4 phone to change the EXP settings on the Mavic Mini and Mini 2

So, you use a phone with 1.5.4 to put in the EXP settings in your Mini 2, and then fly it with a different phone with 1.3.  Good idea - but does it work?  All of the EXP settings are stored in the drone ONLY, without 1.5.4 app they still work??  

Would you share more, Thanks.
2021-12-27
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

if you want to keep flying 1.4 versions of the fly app and you use android, do not upgrade your phone to Android 12. Fly 1.5.4 is the first version compatible with Android 12.

The led problem, which was only a show element not realy a big issue, was solved in the 1.5 versions.
2021-12-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EnjoyFlying Posted at 12-27 11:11
So, you use a phone with 1.5.4 to put in the EXP settings in your Mini 2, and then fly it with a different phone with 1.3.  Good idea - but does it work?  All of the EXP settings are stored in the drone ONLY, without 1.5.4 app they still work??  

Would you share more, Thanks.

Yes that is what I did.
To test whether the changes are stored on the drone and were persistant I set the yaw to the maximum value, 0.9, ANY yaw command movement of the control stick away from the at rest position caused the maximum yaw rate, Safest option I thnk. In my experiments this setting persisted when I swapped phones. I think I also swapped controllers as well and the setting remained set.
Thinking on that, I do not remember if I switched the drones  (mavic Mini and Mini 2) off and on at any point during these experiments. I will have to check that, my chosen working setting was 0.5, the straight line graph. As such it is probably not too different from the default so, if the drone reverted to the default on switch off & on, it might not be that obvious.
2021-12-27
Use props
EnjoyFlying
lvl.3
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-27 11:53
Yes that is what I did.
To test whether the changes are stored on the drone and were persistant I set the yaw to the maximum value, 0.9, ANY yaw command movement of the control stick away from the at rest position caused the maximum yaw rate, Safest option I thnk. In my experiments this setting persisted when I swapped phones. I think I also swapped controllers as well and the setting remained set.
Thinking on that, I do not remember if I switched the drones  (mavic Mini and Mini 2) off and on at any point during these experiments. I will have to check that, my chosen working setting was 0.5, the straight line graph. As such it is probably not too different from the default so, if the drone reverted to the default on switch off & on, it might not be that obvious.

Please do share your new findings, Thanks.  Your input is highly appreciated and very helpful  
2021-12-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just had a look and the 1.5.4 app shows the EXP settings are still at my chosen value of 0.5.
I was also offered an firmware update so I assume the drone is on out dated firmware but the app seemed quite happy.

2021-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules