923 4 2021-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Daniel Dance
lvl.2
Flight distance : 694633 ft
  • >>>
United States

Focus seems to be the most challenging aspect of shooting with my drone.
Does anyone care to share their particular focus techniques?

I wish DJI would add a focus zoom function - that would help so much.

DD

2021-12-27
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

While a focus zoom function could be useful in some situations, the focus peaking should be pretty useful for judging focus. Obviously it's only enabled in MF mode, just like older Mavics. You may need to turn it on and select a suitable threshold though. That's in the Camera menu.
2021-12-27
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am having challenges selecting good focus with DJI Fly on my android device.  Even with peak turned on, I struggle to get the right subject in focus.  Still practicing.
2021-12-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DD. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots can give out the best information and recommendation with regards to this matter. In addition I will cascade these information to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you.
2021-12-27
Use props
Chest Rockwell
lvl.3
United States

I don't know if this is necessarily a best practice, but since the Auto Focus is "continuous" (meaning it keeps refocusing while shooting video and there's noticeable focus searching which can ruin shots, as opposed to tapping on something to focus and then having it stay locked at that setting), I go into manual mode and scroll to the "mountain" image which is essentially infinity.  I'm typically not flying super close to things to the point where I need to focus closer, so focusing at infinity seems to get the majority of my images in focus.

To help confirm this, when I'm using DLOG I set focus peaking to high, and I can confirm that more often than not, the mountain/infinity setting is getting the majority of the image in focus.  When using Normal color mode, I set focus peaking to low.

If you've never used focus peaking, it's pretty intuitive - it essentially outlines items that are in focus with red lines.  Low, Medium and High refers to the sensitivity of the effect, so high will highlight more of the image in focus than low.  Due to the increased contrast of Normal mode, I usually switch to Low when in Normal color and high in DLOG.
2021-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules