Losing connection even when super close
4585 27 2022-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Authorized Customer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 190289 ft
United States

My Mini 2 is losing connection about every other flight. It happens even when the signal is at full strength. It happens at multiple locations, home and elsewhere.

When the connection is lost, the screen goes black, the remote's lights flash, and it doesn't reconnect for around 10-20 seconds. When it reconnects, the drone has often self-started return-to-home (RTH).

Today, it happend when the drone was less than 50 feet away, less than 15 feet in the air. The flight: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/O5WNLZ49KHQDKOO05EDR/

This is a warranty-replacement drone. I bought the extended warranty, and I had to replace my original due to damage I caused. This warranty-replacement drone is undamaged. I do not remember any signal loss with the original drone except when I flew too far away, which is expected. With the warranty-replacement drone, I am getting signal loss repeatedly, close or far, under all sorts of conditions.

This could be related: no matter where in my house I am, when I direct-connect to the drone from my phone and download videos, the DJI Fly app reports "High interference environment. Downloading speed unstable." The downloading speed never gets above 2 MB/s, and it's usually hovering around 1.2 MB/s. I have no problems with other wireless devices in my house. While wifi bands and the drone-controlling bands are different frequencies, it may suggest some overall fault with the drone's ability to transmit or receive wireless signals?

On top of this, I feel that the warranty-replacement drone warbles too much while it flies. Looking it as it takes off or is nearby, it just feels a bit drunk. I do not recall my original drone behaving this way. The camera's gimbal seems mostly able to overcome the drunkenness, but this still doesn't feel right.

Is there something I should check, or do I need to check into more warranty service?

While I want a working drone, I only have so many "hits" on my extended warranty. I feel that the extended warranty should generally be for problems I caused, not to cover defects with the drone. If this is indeed a drone defect, I don't want to burn one of my extended warranty hits.
2022-1-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing. Could you tell me the current firmware version of the DJI Fly? Besides, please try to change other places to check if the same problem occurs. You can also try to adjust the antennas of the RC, the RC antennas should be positioned parallel to and are pointed towards the aircraft. Please also check if there has a Bluetooth device or if the Bluetooth function is turned on, please turn it off during flight. If the problem still persists, we commend you send the drone back to our service center for further diagnosis. https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
2022-1-9
Use props
Authorized Customer
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-9 03:26
Hi, there. Sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing. Could you tell me the current firmware version of the DJI Fly? Besides, please try to change other places to check if the same problem occurs. You can also try to adjust the antennas of the RC, the RC antennas should be positioned parallel to and are pointed towards the aircraft. Please also check if there has a Bluetooth device or if the Bluetooth function is turned on, please turn it off during flight. If the problem still persists, we commend you send the drone back to our service center for further diagnosis. https://repair.dji.com/repair/index

Thank you. I contacted support to see what can be done.

Could we discuss your specific points some more:
  • Since I am holding remote in front of me and am always facing drone and am looking at my phone, which is mounted to the remote, I think antenna is always facing the drone and generally parallel to it? I see no antenna adjustments on the remote, other than what happens when you extend the part that clamps the phone to the remote.
  • Per the DJY Fly app, aircraft firmware is 01.03.0000, controller firmware is 04.11.0032.
  • The problem happens at multiple places.
  • On Bluetooth, this is the first I've heard of a potential issue with it. Can you share more? Bluetooth operates at 2.402 GHz to 2.48 GHz at low energy. While that overlaps the drone's 2.400-2.4835 GHz band, the drone also can operate on the 5.725-5.850 GHz band. Is it not capable of using that band, since I am in the US, to avoid interference?

Thanks again. I am not trying to be combative but trying to understand more. If the issue is not with the drone but my environment, I'd like to fix it.
2022-1-9
Use props
Connor Lindeman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 408944 ft
United States

same things have been happening to me after getting mine back from a repair!
2022-1-9
Use props
Authorized Customer
lvl.1
United States

Connor Lindeman Posted at 1-9 07:41
same things have been happening to me after getting mine back from a repair!

That's interesting! The same is said here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =235014&pid=2411026

Is DJI doing warranty replacements with drones that didn't pass quality checks?
2022-1-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Authorized Customer Posted at 1-9 06:51
Thank you. I contacted support to see what can be done.

Could we discuss your specific points some more:

Hi, there. If the Bluetooth function is turned off, but the problem still persists, we commend sending the drone back to our service center for further diagnosis. https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
2022-1-10
Use props
Authorized Customer
lvl.1
United States

Closing the loop: I did a support case, and the representative assured me that should not need to disable Bluetooth or Wi-Fi on my phone. Additionally, I have not found that disabling those makes any difference in the connection drop-outs. Finally, I've had a drop out when it was just 100 feet away from me, in the air, in a remote area.

I mailed it in for warranty service yesterday.
2022-1-24
Use props
Authorized Customer
lvl.1
United States

Frustratingly, DJI repair finds no problem and wants to ship it back to me. I shared a recent flight, referenced by the date/timestamp as it appears in my flight records, as an example of it losing connection only 126 feet away (76 feet altitude) in an open field. Hopefully that will sway them.

It would be handy if I freely download all my flight data. If I could get this data, I could easily use a text-analytic tool to find all instances of disconnection.
2022-1-28
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Authorized Customer Posted at 1-28 06:51
Frustratingly, DJI repair finds no problem and wants to ship it back to me. I shared a recent flight, referenced by the date/timestamp as it appears in my flight records, as an example of it losing connection only 126 feet away (76 feet altitude) in an open field. Hopefully that will sway them.

It would be handy if I freely download all my flight data. If I could get this data, I could easily use a text-analytic tool to find all instances of disconnection.

Hi,

As in your first post, post the logs using PhantomHelp on here.
Easy to check in the logs all disconnects.

cheers
JJB

2022-1-28
Use props
Authorized Customer
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 1-28 07:19
Hi,

As in your first post, post the logs using PhantomHelp on here.

Thank you. The challenge is I need to process many logs, find connection-loss messages in them, and then determine where I was when they happened and how far away they were. PhantomHelp seems to only be appropriate for one-at-a-time processing?
2022-1-28
Use props
Authorized Customer
lvl.1
United States

Here is the most recent time I lost connection: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Z71KW095UIU9UPTWGFIO. You'll see that I am in an open field, and the drone was about 105 feet direct line away from me (about 75 feet out and about 75 feet up). There is no way a properly functioning drone should lose connection in that situation!
2022-1-28
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Authorized Customer Posted at 1-28 10:57
Here is the most recent time I lost connection: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Z71KW095UIU9UPTWGFIO. You'll see that I am in an open field, and the drone was about 105 feet direct line away from me (about 75 feet out and about 75 feet up). There is no way a properly functioning drone should lose connection in that situation!

Hi,

Agree, at such height and distance away from the RC a disconnect should not happen.
I have on my MINI2 sometimes short disconnects, just 1 or 2 secs or even less.

What i noticed is that having the drone is such position that the 2 front legs are in 1 line with the RC>Drone line, the connection is getting worse....

Processing many logs at once and get a full disconnect report with distances and height....nah, not possible....
cheers
JJB
2022-1-28
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

Authorized Customer Posted at 1-28 10:37
Thank you. The challenge is I need to process many logs, find connection-loss messages in them, and then determine where I was when they happened and how far away they were. PhantomHelp seems to only be appropriate for one-at-a-time processing?

Hi

Open a free account with AirData UAV . Decrypted logs are not as comprehensive as Phantom Help but will show data loss.  You can upload 100 flights free, download decrypted logs and delete from AirData to stay below 100 logs.
2022-1-28
Use props
Authorized Customer
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 1-28 12:03
Agree, at such height and distance away from the RC a disconnect should not happen.

Yes! Not only is that a disconnect at an unacceptably close distance, you'll see that it was so long that the drone self-initiated return to home.

While it shouldn't matter at such a close distance, I was facing the drone, and I was watching the drone and the remote, which were right in front of me in a normal position. That excludes the possibility of my improper antenna positioning being an issue.
2022-1-28
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

This seems very similar to my issues yesterday, very close to me, at one point 15/20ft when it happened 3 times in a row. Only diff is it only happened in 360 pano mode as soon as the camera looked directly down. It appeared like the craft did a factory reset as after I rebooted it, I was presented with the first start tutorial.

As mine was only 20 days old I exchanged it today, didn’t get a chance to try it as the wind and rain started today.

Could this be the app update?
2022-1-28
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Authorized Customer Posted at 1-28 12:26
Yes! Not only is that a disconnect at an unacceptably close distance, you'll see that it was so long that the drone self-initiated return to home.

While it shouldn't matter at such a close distance, I was facing the drone, and I was watching the drone and the remote, which were right in front of me in a normal position. That excludes the possibility of my improper antenna positioning being an issue.

Hi

Disconnect 12 seconds, at connecting again your MINI2 was already turning towards home.

At disconnect heading 064 degrees, at connect heading 079. So imo nothing wrong with the RTH system.

cheers
JJB
analysis2.png
2022-1-28
Use props
Authorized Customer
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 1-28 13:10
At disconnect heading 064 degrees, at connect heading 079. So imo nothing wrong with the RTH system.
Correct, and I am not suggesting there is an issue with my drone's RTH system.

My point is that the disconnect was so long that the drone self-initiated RTH. No disconnect should happen at such close range, and it's even worse that the disconnect was so long that the drone initiated RTH.
2022-1-28
Use props
Authorized Customer
lvl.1
United States

I found another example of a random disconnect: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/26MDYZUYXHF2XOEPIE3H

It occurs at 2m 6.6s into the flight. It is only 58.3 feet horizontal distance and 1.6 foot vertical gain. Super close!

That was at a Scout camp in a remote area. There is no possibility of wireless interference from any device there. I know for sure because I help run the wireless network at that camp, and the nearest wireless access point is at the dining hall, which is almost 400 feet to the north of that point. There are no other RF transmitters there that would operate on the 2.400-2.4835 GHz or 5.725-5.850 GHz bands.

Reviewing past history to find these disconnects is frustrating, like finding a needle in a haystack. I sure wish there was a way for me to bulk-search my logs for text associated with a disconnect.
After I expressed concern about my drone, DJI is doing a "reassessment" on it. I hope to hear more by the end of tomorrow.

2022-1-31
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

Authorized Customer Posted at 1-31 10:40
I found another example of a random disconnect: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/26MDYZUYXHF2XOEPIE3H

It occurs at 2m 6.6s into the flight. It is only 58.3 feet horizontal distance and 1.6 foot vertical gain. Super close!

I sure wish there was a way for me to bulk-search my logs for text associated with a disconnect.

Read post 13#
2022-1-31
Use props
Authorized Customer
lvl.1
United States

Thank you. You're referring to airdata.com. Their search tool is broken.

I uploaded all flight logs with my current drone to them. If I search simply on the word downlink (using the Keyword field in the Advanced Search dialog), I get no results.

I confirmed that downlink appears in the logs. I clicked on a flight that had a disconnect and then clicked on Notifications at top, and this is in one of the rows in the Notification column: Downlink data connection lost for 12.1 seconds.
2022-2-1
Use props
Authorized Customer
lvl.1
United States

Incredibly, DJI believes that that a drone exhibiting random disconnects at close range is "within the normal tolerances". My drone is being shipped back to me.
2022-2-1
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

Authorized Customer Posted at 1-28 12:26
Yes! Not only is that a disconnect at an unacceptably close distance, you'll see that it was so long that the drone self-initiated return to home.

Sounds crazy but have you checked to make sure the cables are not coming loose or a lot of movement inside the phone or controller
2022-2-2
Use props
Authorized Customer
lvl.1
United States

RenegadeCowboyAZ Posted at 2-2 19:35
Sounds crazy but have you checked to make sure the cables are not coming loose or a lot of movement inside the phone or controller

I am not clear what you're referring to. The only cable under my control is the one between the phone and the remote controller. If that was breaking connection, the app would simply not function, plus I'd hear a disconnect tone on my phone. Neither are happening.
The phone is secure in the controller's cradle.

Beyond that, there are no user-serviceable cables.
2022-2-3
Use props
djiuser_Om23IWpmXYns
lvl.1

Dominica

Authorized Customer Posted at 2022-2-1 16:45
Incredibly, DJI believes that that a drone exhibiting random disconnects at close range is "within the normal tolerances". My drone is being shipped back to me.

I know this is an old thread, but I am interested in finding out if your drone (the OP) performed any better when it got back from DJI.

I have an Air 2 that's giving me the same issue. When it gets up to about 10 or 12 feet, the RC connection bars start decreasing. By 20 feet up, the drone disconnects completely, and does not reconnect until RTH is initiated and it gets back within the 8 to 10 ft range. Note, there's no horizontal distance between me and the drone. I've only just sent it straight up in the air.
2023-2-21
Use props
YAJones
lvl.1

Dominica

I know this is an old thread, but I am interested in finding out if your drone (the OP) performed any better when it got back from DJI.

I have an Air 2 that's giving me the same issue. When it gets up to about 10 or 12 feet, the RC connection bars start decreasing. By 20 feet up, the drone disconnects completely, and does not reconnect until RTH is initiated and it gets back within the 8 to 10 ft range. Note, there's no horizontal distance between me and the drone. I've only just sent it straight up in the air.
2023-2-21
Use props
YAJones
lvl.1

Dominica

2023-2-21
Use props
Authorized Customer
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_Om23IWpmXYns Posted at 2-21 10:17

DJI's repair shop said it found no problems. I got the same unit back, and it was unopened. I am not sure it's even repairable if there was a problem. Therefore, I have no reason to believe there's any physical difference.

That said, it seems to lose connection less now. I am unclear why.
2023-2-21
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

Get a mini 3 pro
2023-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now