Lesson learned, the hard way.....
1454 9 2022-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mission XR
lvl.3
United States

Well, I received my new 2s with RC pro controller and thought I would do a hover in the living room. I have hovered under all the same conditions with my A2, mini, se and 2s with no issues at all. Before the third take off and hover I received a "low light warning" with strong GPS and take off permitted. I thought if I had a low light waring then turning on the bottom LED would provide adequete lighting. I turned the light on before manual take off and the 2s went bonkers after lift off. L,R,F,B within a 2 foot area. Did not change elevation, just see sawed back and forth totally out of control about 12" off the floor. I was able to control just enough to land before it crashed into the chair nearby.

I then turned off the LED and tried another hover. Hovered perfectly and didn't move off the hover not one bit. Can anyone explain why having the bottom led on in this condition would cause such a reaction? Again, I had a strong gps signal and no warings outside of the low light. Has anyone used the LED prior to take off at night and then to land without issue? If this is a potential issue then maybe not allow the LED to come on until at hover elevation so the light can be absorbed by the surounding?

Scared the heck out of me for I have NEVER had this happen after hundreds of indoor hovers. However I never turned the bottom led on previously.
Learned my lesson!
2022-1-9
Use props
sduck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4315098 ft
United States

What's the point of hovering inside? Maybe once or twice could be "fun", but hundreds of times? If you've got a large-ish space I guess it could be fun, to a very limited extent, but for most of us it's just dangerous and serves no purpose. I have no idea about the led impact on hovering indoors, as I've never done that.
2022-1-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have no idea why your drone behaved the way it did, my mavic 2 pro and zoom hover perfectly indoors with the auxiliary light both on and off but this is with NO GPS.
That said, a 12" hover height seems VERY low to me, the minimum with my mavic mini, mini 2 and the Mavic 2's is around 18", if I command them lower it triggers the landing cycle.
Was anything flapping below the drone that was within the field of view of the VPS sensors?I get the low light warning at the start of ever indoor flight but as soon as the drone is in the air it is fine. I assume that the warning is due to insufficient light 'leaking' under the drone when the drone is sat on whatever.
2022-1-9
Use props
Mission XR
lvl.3
United States

MY point is setting camera settings in different light, trying filters and other function settings. Not much for flying in 15 degree weather. Regardless, it's something that happened and sharing it as an experience so others are aware of it. If a manufacture offers prop guards and video's of flying indoors then I guess it's not so rare that people do. Did I have prop guards on this 2s? Nope, never needed them on any bird. To me, this is an issue and bringing it to light may save someone else from the experience.
2022-1-9
Use props
ahsposo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 589400 ft

United States

What flight mode?

I'll bet it wasn't sport mode.
2022-1-9
Use props
Mission XR
lvl.3
United States

Nope, Normal mode.

Sean, Yes a normal hover is about 36". This experience did not even get to hover. It lifted off and immediately began to swing hard L,R,F,B.
I did take it outside after for a flight to verify all was good and it was. Did an auto take off and came right into a normal hover. Flew around a bit til my fingers got cold and landed as expected.
There is a relationship to the low light condition, being inside on a different surface (carpet) and the bottom LED on during lift off.. Not sure and it really doesn't matter as long as it doesn't happen outside in the dark. Not that I fly in the dark, only that if I did, I want to know what to expect with the led on or off at time of take off.......
2022-1-9
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Next time you need to hover indoors, turn the LED off. Then no worries.
2022-1-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Mission XR. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. Just a reminder that the said DJI drone's vision system may not work properly due to the lighting condition of the environment. Have a safe and a happy flying always.

2022-1-9
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah I'm guilty of flying/hovering in the living room with cheapy little quadcopters...once i started with the big league DJI drones, I stepped outside.
2022-1-11
Use props
Mission XR
lvl.3
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-9 22:09
Hello there Mission XR. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. Just a reminder that the said DJI drone's vision system may not work properly due to the lighting condition of the environment. Have a safe and a happy flying always.

[view_image]

Agreed. Although opinions on flying inside or not are provided, the real OP question was asking why it did what it did.  A DJI tech explained that with the current ambient light present AND the bright LED, the sensors were flooded with an abundance of light causing the erratic condition. Under night conditions, dark conditions,  the led provides the correct amount of light to pickup the surface texture thus providing stable flight. Hovered again four more times inside with the light off and it hovered like butter. So, it's not about the ability or choice to hover inside or not. It's about the lighting conditions that the sensors can tolerate.
2022-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules