New Mini 2 with deeply discharged batteries
7123 10 2022-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
t0nno
lvl.1
Germany

Hello,

I've just received my completely new DJI Mini 2 Fly More from Amazon. Unfortunately all the batteries seem to be completely discharged. That's quite disappointing, since most likely the batteries will already have suffered some damage. Should I return the product? What would you advise?
Thanks in advance.

2022-1-9
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

The batteries are shipped in hibernation mode. Put them in the charger one at a time for an hour each.
2022-1-9
Use props
t0nno
lvl.1
Germany

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-9 13:41
The batteries are shipped in hibernation mode. Put them in the charger one at a time for an hour each.

Thanks. That one did the trick. Another question: I read that it's not recommended to store the batteries in the two way charging hub. Has this issue been fixed with new fw patches or would you still recommend to not store the batteries in the 2 way charging hub?
2022-1-9
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

t0nno Posted at 1-9 15:01
Thanks. That one did the trick. Another question: I read that it's not recommended to store the batteries in the two way charging hub. Has this issue been fixed with new fw patches or would you still recommend to not store the batteries in the 2 way charging hub?

A afix was issued with the new aircraft firmware in June 2021 (fw 1.03.0000) that is supposed to fix the issue where batteries were not auto-discharging properly when stored in the two way charging hub.

However, a number of people have reported problems getting the battery firmware to update and I am personally in the process of returning my batteries to DJI as they steadfastly refuse to auto-discharge as described in the manual despite numerous attempts to force the battery firmware update.

It seems it works for some people, but others don't trust it

-N.O.T.
2022-1-9
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

You will get different responses on this. But for me, the latest firmware updates took care of all the battery :problems". Mine do as they are supposed to.
2022-1-9
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The batteries should not be completely dead, my flymore kit  from amazon was not completely dead, i don't like the sound of completely dead ones....
2022-1-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there t0nno. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused before and thank you for reaching out. In addition to this in Hibernation Mode if the battery cell voltage is lower than 3.0V, the battery enters Hibernation mode to prevent over-discharge and to avoid being damaged. Charge the battery to wake it from hibernation. For additional reference, I will post a DJI link on DJI Mini 2 Disclaimer and Safety Guidelines ( https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y_Guidelines_12.pdf ). Thank you.
2022-1-9
Use props
srdyiop
lvl.3
United States

No Original Thought Posted at 1-9 15:32
A afix was issued with the new aircraft firmware in June 2021 (fw 1.03.0000) that is supposed to fix the issue where batteries were not auto-discharging properly when stored in the two way charging hub.

However, a number of people have reported problems getting the battery firmware to update and I am personally in the process of returning my batteries to DJI as they steadfastly refuse to auto-discharge as described in the manual despite numerous attempts to force the battery firmware update.

I was unaware of all this battery maintenance stuff, I charged all 3 of my batteries in the hub they are all still full, took them out of the hub 3 days later returned to the hub they all show they are full

Where is the procedure for how to care for these batteries and how to verify all of them have the current updates?

I have had batteries for battery power tools since they became commercially available back in the early 80's and have always kept the batteries topped off fully charged so they are always ready to use, I have never heard about this self discharging maintenance thing.

In the early days of battery tools it was common to put each battery in the flashlight and run it completely dead then recharge, we did this about once a month on the tools that were used daily, now everything has the newer batteries we just keep them topped off no full discharging, battery issues are no longer a problem, nothing short lived, no batteries getting a memory and not wanting to fully charge etc. Today's power tool batteries last for years hundreds of charge discharge cycles.  I bought a attachment for my power tool batteries that turns the battery into a power supply so I can use my power tool batteries to charge my Drone batteries while out in the wild.

No doubt Drone batteries everything is more conservative like running a battery dead, when it happens in a power tool you swap out the battery when it happens in a Drone it falls from the sky.

Thanks
2022-1-10
Use props
dpeagle
lvl.4
United States

"Where is the procedure for how to care for these batteries"                                                                                                                                                                  the batteries in your mini 2 use a battery chemistry known as lithium polymer or lipo for short. this is not like the batteries used in power tools from 30 years ago. lipo batteries are cheap to manufacture and hold a lot of power for their weight. it is what has made them so popular in phones, rc planes, helicopters and drones. lipo batteries are also very unstable. look on youtube and search "lipo fires" and you will see how dangerous these batteries can be. this is why they have lipo bags and other storage methods that contain a lipo fire. for many years i have flown rc helicopters and i remember reading many threads from people that left their charger unattended only to find their garage or house in flames. never charge your batteries while you sleep and if possible have them in a protective enclosure. i charge all my rc batteries in a portable barbecue grill i got at walmart for $10usd. as to charging, lipo batteries dont like to be overcharged or undercharged. typically they will give the best life when not charged over 80% or undercharged below 20%. that is not practical for flying as we all want a battery topped off at 100%, but i try to charge the battery the day of the flight and not to let the battery ever fall below 15%. for storage they typically like somewhere around 50% charge. it is not a good practice to store a lipo at full charge. that's why the smart batteries they make today for our drones will discharge the batteries automatically after full charge storage.
2022-1-10
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

srdyiop Posted at 1-10 07:10
I was unaware of all this battery maintenance stuff, I charged all 3 of my batteries in the hub they are all still full, took them out of the hub 3 days later returned to the hub they all show they are full

Where is the procedure for how to care for these batteries and how to verify all of them have the current updates?

See "Intelligent Flight Battery" on page 21 of the User Manual.

There is a description of how the auto-discharge shoudl work and also info about how best to store the batteries, what teh status LEDs mean etc.

It's worth a read as these are not dumb batteries (though mine are trying to prove otherwise ;-P)

-N.O.T.
2022-1-10
Use props
swk_k
New

Singapore

Replied to the wrong post. Deleting.
2023-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules