652 12 2022-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_g8WWEqYBxewE
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1922920 ft
Canada

Experiance: 30 brief flights.

My drone lost signal a week ago and returned home safely, but I was surprised to never get the video feed back. Should I not be able to re-take control after it gets the signal back? I can't remember exactly what the app was telling me, but I'm pretty sure the signal bar said there was none, and all the other information was blank too. Once it got close to the ground I tried for the first tine and had control back, but the screen was still black, and I'm pretty sure it said I had no signal.

Yesterday, I landed it about 500 feet from where I was, with a few trees in the way but it had two-three bars and it lost signal a few moments after landing, and I didn't get a signal again until I restarted the controller. I didn't try to take off again before that, and I was next to it when I restarted, so I'm not sure if I could have flown before restarting or not.

Is this behaviour normal?
Thanks!
2022-1-13
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

What version of the DJI fly app are you using?
2022-1-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are you certain the drone is disconnecting from the controller, could it be that the PHONE is disconnecting from the controller.
With regards to the  drone landing 500ft away from you, five possibilities come to mind.
1) you moved and did not change the home point to you location
2) the drone took off with insufficient GPS satellites for it to establish its location and a homepoint, when it did gain sufficient satellites it was at that place 500ft away.
3) you accidentally reset the home point to that location
4) you repeatedly pressed the RTH button, either on the phone or the controller or both, and thereby cycled through commanding and cancelling RTH's and eventually the critically low battery landing procedure engaged.
5) the drone did actually disconnect from the controller but you have the failsafe option set to "land" or whatever the option name is.
2022-1-13
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 1-13 09:47
What version of the DJI fly app are you using?

I believe it's version 1.5.4
2022-1-13
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-13 10:31
Are you certain the drone is disconnecting from the controller, could it be that the PHONE is disconnecting from the controller.
With regards to the  drone landing 500ft away from you, five possibilities come to mind.
1) you moved and did not change the home point to you location

I'm pretty sure it was the signal because I saw the thing loosing bars, and it was my first flight so I an idiot I didn't think much of it. But I could definitely be wrong!

The second incident, I landed it intentionally. Now that I think of it, it did have a low battery but not critically low. I think it had five or seven minutes left.

Thank you for the advice! That will help me next time I think in making sure things are in order before taking off.
2022-1-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sky Biscuit Posted at 1-13 10:40
I'm pretty sure it was the signal because I saw the thing loosing bars, and it was my first flight so I an idiot I didn't think much of it. But I could definitely be wrong!

The second incident, I landed it intentionally. Now that I think of it, it did have a low battery but not critically low. I think it had five or seven minutes left.

Ahhh I shouldn't skim posts lol, sorry, I missed that YOU landed it 500ft away.
BTW such landings are risky especially if on natural surfaces, grass etc. may be sufficient to stop a Mini 2  from starting a motor successfully or the surface may be too tilted or you may loose drone-to-controller contact in the final descent and be unable to restart the motors. PLUS if you can take off from the remote site the remote site WILL BE the new homepoint, so you need to know how to reset the home point to wherever is desirable
2022-1-13
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-13 10:54
Ahhh I shouldn't skim posts lol, sorry, I missed that YOU landed it 500ft away.
BTW such landings are risky especially if on natural surfaces, grass etc. may be sufficient to stop a Mini 2  from starting a motor successfully or the surface may be too tilted or you may loose drone-to-controller contact in the final descent and be unable to restart the motors. PLUS if you can take off from the remote site the remote site WILL BE the new homepoint, so you need to know how to reset the home point to wherever is desirable

No worries! The conditions yesterday were such that all the snow had a layer of ice on it, so I was confident I wouldn't encounter grass or anything. But I will definitely keep that in mind. I certainly don't want to damage it doing something like that.
2022-1-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please and kindly please fly your DJI Mini 2 to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist? The said DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. In addition, please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission. Thank you.

2022-1-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To carry on from DJI Stephen's reply, in  the bottom left corner is the Flight Attitude indicator, this is a very useful too, it shows the Aircraft, you (the controller) and the homepoint. Next time you're out, use the flight indicator and you can see you (the controller) on there, just stand still and turn slowly in a full turn and watch what happens, you will see you (the controller) turn around too, you will also see a green point show up once you start to align with the drone. Once the tiny indicator is green, you're good Horizontally, that only works Horizontally. From that point you can finely adjust slowly the vertical axis, up and down,  As a goto, when the AC is less than 500m away, i find it best to try to angle the controller so that the flat section of the antenna is pointing about 30 to 45º above the horizon, over 500 and beyond you will find its best at around 0 to 20º above the horizon, you can finely  tune this by watching the signal indicator. Also, anything between you and the Aircraft is a signal blocker. If you land it a distance away, there is a very good chance that it will lose connection once on the ground due to where the antennas are (legs) unless you controller and aircraft has direct line of sight and at 500ft on the ground, that could be difficult and now I'm waffling, its 3:20am here, i only woke up for my sleeping tablet ;)  
2022-1-13
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-13 18:31
Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please and kindly please fly your DJI Mini 2 to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist? The said DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. In addition, please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission. Thank you.

[view_image]

Hello. I am using an iPhone 6S.
I can try flying in a different location, but this has been happen at my home, so I certainly hope this isn't the problem! DX If it happens again I will pay more attention to where my remote it pointing.
Thank you for your input.
2022-1-14
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

Bashy Posted at 1-13 19:23
To carry on from DJI Stephen's reply, in  the bottom left corner is the Flight Attitude indicator, this is a very useful too, it shows the Aircraft, you (the controller) and the homepoint. Next time you're out, use the flight indicator and you can see you (the controller) on there, just stand still and turn slowly in a full turn and watch what happens, you will see you (the controller) turn around too, you will also see a green point show up once you start to align with the drone. Once the tiny indicator is green, you're good Horizontally, that only works Horizontally. From that point you can finely adjust slowly the vertical axis, up and down,  As a goto, when the AC is less than 500m away, i find it best to try to angle the controller so that the flat section of the antenna is pointing about 30 to 45º above the horizon, over 500 and beyond you will find its best at around 0 to 20º above the horizon, you can finely  tune this by watching the signal indicator. Also, anything between you and the Aircraft is a signal blocker. If you land it a distance away, there is a very good chance that it will lose connection once on the ground due to where the antennas are (legs) unless you controller and aircraft has direct line of sight and at 500ft on the ground, that could be difficult and now I'm waffling, its 3:20am here, i only woke up for my sleeping tablet ;)

I never notice that Flight Attitude indicator before. I'll be sure to try that out next time, thank you! Also, I didn't know the antennas were in the legs. That could certainly explain why it lost the signal.
Thank you so much for the information!
2022-1-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sky Biscuit Posted at 1-14 07:32
I never notice that Flight Attitude indicator before. I'll be sure to try that out next time, thank you! Also, I didn't know the antennas were in the legs. That could certainly explain why it lost the signal.
Thank you so much for the information!

No worries, if there indicator is not showing, tap the bottom left corner icon, if the map is showing, swipe right on the map itself or tap the tiny little icon in the bottom right (i think it is) of the map
2022-1-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Sky Biscuit Posted at 1-14 07:28
Hello. I am using an iPhone 6S.
I can try flying in a different location, but this has been happen at my home, so I certainly hope this isn't the problem! DX If it happens again I will pay more attention to where my remote it pointing.
Thank you for your input.

Hi there Sky Biscuit. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Kindly please keep us posted for further assistance. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2022-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules