1338 14 2022-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Barramundi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 128 ft
  • >>>
United States

The best camera is the one with you and the one ready to take the shot, fast with less hassle.This is why I timed the fastest I can deploy the Mini2, and that was 2 minutes.
Starting the stopwatch with the Mini2 stored in the Fly More Combo shoulder bag with gimbal  cover and the propellers bellt on, until the AC  recorded the home point.
Then, I timed how long it would take to store it back and it was also 2 minutes.
So in total, every time I want to use the Mini2 it would take me at least 4 minutes or more in preparations.

For reference, the fastest I can deploy and store back the DJI Spark is 1minute 24 seconds.
1 minute to deploy and 24 seconds to store back.This faster deployment is possible since the Spark has the option to be used without the RC, just the Smartphone app.
This is why for casual shooting I prefer the Spark, it is faster to deploy, less hassle to store and more portable.

DJI could and should offer tnat option with the Mini2.

2BBC4346-9AAD-4C9D-A4CA-4437DA4782D6.jpeg
2022-1-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We've been through this on your "other" thread referencing the portability, if you don't mind limited range, less quality camera then use the toy spark. I cannot see DII taking a step backwards and going the way of the spark, and as far as i know,  you're the only one I've seen asking for this. There maybe more asking through support mind... If you're still wanting the Mini 2 to be able to fly with only the phone, i am not sure its even possible with Occusync, i know the Mini 2 can connect to the phone or tablet direct but this is a different wifi mode, i.e. normal wifi and just for downloading the media files.

Surely the reviews would have given you an idea as to the size of the drone kit you're buying before you bought it? or the sizes on the specs page? or the way it connects, these were obviously big selling points for you yet you still bought it. Perhaps the Tello was more your cup of tea?

To be honest, i would much prefer the Mini 2 to the spark any day of the week and like i said before, i would NEVER have entertained the Spark, not in a million years.
Youre setup up times, i reckons you can get that down the more you get used it to, you have to remember, you've had and used that Spark for quite some time now so you've really gotten used to it, give the Mini 2 more time to get used to it, I'm sure you can knock some time off that, not only that, whilst i don't use the gay man bag myself (i use this one), the man bag makes it very portable and easier to carry than that spark box.

Look at it another way, its much quicker to get in the air and pack away than the Phantom.

I also see that you have the Osmo's, so am i to assume you do a bit of content for YT or the like? if so then you take more than just the drone with you, so perhaps a backpack like mine would be ideal, that way you can take just the one bag to rule them all

Just my thoughts on it is all, don't take anything to heart, end of the day, its you and what you prefer, but give it a bit more time, I'm sure you  will come around, just don't expect DJI to make it controllerless, that ain't gonna happen, i don't think....
2022-1-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can't imagine using a controller that has no sticks and be any good with it. Better you than me ;-)
2022-1-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 1-14 20:11
I can't imagine using a controller that has no sticks and be any good with it. Better you than me ;-)

I agree, even though i have the Note 20 Ultra, it has a big screen, covering the view with my thumbs would ruin the experience, then trying that with gloves lol
2022-1-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Might be quicker with the smart controller
2022-1-15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

For the extra 60 seconds and the features that the Mini 2 offers over the Spark the Mini 2 is the true winner.  
2022-1-15
Use props
Famous
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22790906 ft
United States

Fly your Spark all you want. Nobody is stopping you. Maybe you should post in the Spark forum.
2022-1-23
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.3
United States

Visit your local classified or Ebay and purchase a Samsung Galaxy S8 or S9 that is 'locked' or has a bad ESN (cheap) set it up with DJI Fly, in Airplane mode with adaptive screen off and screen at its brightest. mount it in the Mavic Mini 2 (MM2) controller and get a box with a lid big enough for the MM2 and Controller with phone attached, put everything in the box with the lid closed and set it on your front seat. After you park reach into the box and grab the controller, turn it  and the phone on then open the door and grab the MM2, as you get out of the vehicle turn the MM2 on and hold it in take off position, watch the controller for when it says fly then launch the MM2.

30 seconds to launch and to pack up is less time since you don't have to wait for the fly indicator. I have a piece of foam cut out that the MM2 sits on, it supports the gimbal.  

I can bet that time with my Tello EDU since it doesn't use GPS and was designed to fly when tossed into the air, the controller is my phone WiFi which I can hook up to the drone as it waits after I've tossed it.

2022-1-23
Use props
Barramundi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 1-14 20:06
We've been through this on your "other" thread referencing the portability, if you don't mind limited range, less quality camera then use the toy spark. I cannot see DII taking a step backwards and going the way of the spark, and as far as i know,  you're the only one I've seen asking for this. There maybe more asking through support mind... If you're still wanting the Mini 2 to be able to fly with only the phone, i am not sure its even possible with Occusync, i know the Mini 2 can connect to the phone or tablet direct but this is a different wifi mode, i.e. normal wifi and just for downloading the media files.

Surely the reviews would have given you an idea as to the size of the drone kit you're buying before you bought it? or the sizes on the specs page? or the way it connects, these were obviously big selling points for you yet you still bought it. Perhaps the Tello was more your cup of tea?

I’m not new to drones.
I stated with the first DJI Phantom many years ago, which had no integrated camera.
So is not like I did not know about the Mini2 capabilities and shortcomings before buying.
I have seen other experienced users like me missing the WiFi option with the Mini series.
Don’t get me wrong, the Mini2 is an amazing consumer drone, but it is a shame DJI came short in the casual use, convenience and portability factors.
This is one reason why people buy these things but end up in drawer gathering dust or resold in ebay.
4 minutes to setup and pack back is annoying for frequent casual use.
Imaging if every time you want to type text on your phone you needed to connect a bluetooth keyboard.
Sure, typing a long document justify using a dedicated keyboard but not for simple text comunication.
Same with Mini2, if you want a quick selfie or a Pano shot, there is no option other than carrying on the RC plus the longer setup time.
I’m not even asking for unrealistic Pro features and the WiFi capability is already there, this is why it requires a button to initiate.
For those who don’t want to use the Mini2 casually or frequently this not an issue.
For me, it is because I know it can be better.
Look, how much compact the Mini2 could be.
962DD3B9-6FDA-45AE-885C-589903CD4483.jpeg
2022-1-25
Use props
Barramundi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Airheadbit Posted at 1-23 19:13
Visit your local classified or Ebay and purchase a Samsung Galaxy S8 or S9 that is 'locked' or has a bad ESN (cheap) set it up with DJI Fly, in Airplane mode with adaptive screen off and screen at its brightest. mount it in the Mavic Mini 2 (MM2) controller and get a box with a lid big enough for the MM2 and Controller with phone attached, put everything in the box with the lid closed and set it on your front seat. After you park reach into the box and grab the controller, turn it  and the phone on then open the door and grab the MM2, as you get out of the vehicle turn the MM2 on and hold it in take off position, watch the controller for when it says fly then launch the MM2.

30 seconds to launch and to pack up is less time since you don't have to wait for the fly indicator. I have a piece of foam cut out that the MM2 sits on, it supports the gimbal.  

That is an alternative but it defeats the purpose of wanting a hassle free, portable, economic solution when it comes to casual and  frequent use if this drone.

A simple firmware upgrade could be the most elegant solution, which is the reason I’m posting this in the DJI forums.
2022-1-25
Use props
Barramundi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-14 20:11

This is not about RC vs Touch Screen.
It is about having the option for convenience.
Nobody would argue against the superiority of a RC with sticks, the same that nobody would argue against how much better is a real keyboard for typing, yet, millions of people are typing on a touch screen for the portability and convenience factor, including myself typing here.This is what DJI missed with the core concept of the Mini2, which is otherwise a well designed drone.

RC for extended dedicate sessions.
Quick touch screen for serendipity snaps.

2022-1-25
Use props
jodijodi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42280 ft
Germany

I can understand the wish for an additional “smartphone only” option a little bit, there are more people with this wish. There are rumors and still a chance that this may come with the Mini 3.
But in reality this wasn’t a real option with the Spark so I’m not missing it for the Mini. I had a Spark in 2018 for some weeks and the already short range and unstable connection with the controller became almost unusable only with the smartphone. I still have some friends with a Spark, some only using it for hiking or bicycle trips. All of them use the controller and say the connection is too unstable and often too short to rely only on the smartphone. (Maybe it’s worse here in Germany/Europe due to stronger transmitter limits/less transmitter power)

Also the controller is not only good for control, but also for safety. In almost seven years with DJI drones I had several times with the smartphone. Like app or smartphone unstable and crashing, incoming call (my fault…). You can avoid some of these, but not all of them, one day it happens. With a connected controller you don’t need to be afraid and you keep cool. But not with a crashed app or smartphone, even if the drone is only 30m high or away, it’s enough to lose it or to hurt someone.

Also if the moment is so important that time matters so much, you normally want to be able to take reliable shots also from a longer distance. So you won’t leave home without the controller. So you don’t save any weight or space with the “smartphone only” option. The option is a nice gimmick not a must.
But I don’t understand, why the Mini controller ist that big and heavy. My MP2 controller is smaller&lighter and with a display and more functions.

And I can’t understand your complaint about deployment time. When I read the 2+2 minutes in your initial post, my first thought was “Wow, this is really fast!” and thought you wanted to express the same.
For me it’s really fast to get a reliable drone and with all it’s security mechanisms up in the air. And I really prefer to wait a few seconds more instead of missing important security mechanisms, sensors or satellites. I think it’s quite easy to build a simple drone without any electronic helpers which is ready in 30 s, but I wouldn’t want it. I once had to fly in a canyon without satellites and very narrow and it was pure stress. Maybe older DJI Models deployed faster, but had less “helpers” and “double checkers”.
And even it the Mini2 would deploy a little bit faster I guess you or someone else won’t be really satisfied. If time for an aerial photo really matters so much, you should look for another solution. Maybe a long selfie stick with a smartphone or a “360 degree camera ball”.
2022-1-26
Use props
Barramundi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

jodijodi Posted at 1-26 03:22
I can understand the wish for an additional “smartphone only” option a little bit, there are more people with this wish. There are rumors and still a chance that this may come with the Mini 3.
But in reality this wasn’t a real option with the Spark so I’m not missing it for the Mini. I had a Spark in 2018 for some weeks and the already short range and unstable connection with the controller became almost unusable only with the smartphone. I still have some friends with a Spark, some only using it for hiking or bicycle trips. All of them use the controller and say the connection is too unstable and often too short to rely only on the smartphone. (Maybe it’s worse here in Germany/Europe due to stronger transmitter limits/less transmitter power)

Yes, you have a point with safety, but this is why  should be just an option.
But as many things in life, It is upon the user to decide where is safe to use it with the Smartphone only connection.
It should be in the  user’s hand to decide the portability, speed and convenience vs safety factors, not DJI.

As for the WiFi connection limits and reliability with the Spark, I don’t have the issues that you had.
In fact, I can  fly it beyond line of sight, my record distance being almost 2000 feet, once the software limits are removed with the modified parameters.
But in the rare case I have to fly it that far, I’d use the RC.
It is obvious to me, that DJI was aware about the casual use cases for a tiny drone like the Spark, so they even gave them a third option of flying by itself, controlled only with body gestures, but IMO, that was too much risk considering the limits of what it could do in that mode.
I also have the Phantom4 Pro, but would never consider flying it without the RC, since portability is not its strength.

The deployment and packing time differences I measured are mostly due to preparing the RC, which involves installing and connecting the Smartphone and screwing in the sticks, and then reversing this actions after you are done. On top of that, you need to make sure the RC have enough charge.
As I clearly stated, in my original post above, I let both drones lock enough GPS until the home point was recorded, which requiered to turn then on before the RC..
The deployment can be faster if you leave a spare smartphone permanently attached and the sticks on, or by using the $800 smart controller, but the portability and the affordability factor
s are gone.

2022-1-26
Use props
jodijodi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42280 ft
Germany

Ok, I understand you better now. And yes, flying without controller is not a really big risk, especially not below 250g. So of course there's no need for DJI to prohibit this.
But I still think you are searching for conspiracies or at least DJIs reasons for doing something on purpose where there isn't anything. I still think most people don't really need or miss this feature and that's the main reason that it's not in the Mini2.
But if it's really that easy to implement, go ahead pushing DJI that it comes with the Mini 3!
2022-1-26
Use props
Barramundi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

jodijodi Posted at 1-26 08:42
Ok, I understand you better now. And yes, flying without controller is not a really big risk, especially not below 250g. So of course there's no need for DJI to prohibit this.
But I still think you are searching for conspiracies or at least DJIs reasons for doing something on purpose where there isn't anything. I still think most people don't really need or miss this feature and that's the main reason that it's not in the Mini2.
But if it's really that easy to implement, go ahead pushing DJI that it comes with the Mini 3!

No conspiracy.
All I said was that DJI is aware of this mode and know its benefits since it was obvious what they did  with the Spark.
They more likely decided not to carry on that feature for the Mini series because it is obviously more easy to crash and I can understand that.
But IMHO there are ways to incorporate that feature where is up to more experienced and dedicated users to discover buried deep in the menus..
Most newbies who crash their drone don’t read the forum or the manual.

But anyways, there are many users asking for years for other feature like to be able to mute the annoying RTH beep to no avail.
So I’m not holding my breath on this one, but at least I made the request public.
2022-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules