New Air2s Compass Calibration Keeps Failing
3682 11 2022-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
C5Drones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 256532 ft
United States

Brand new Air2s out of the box.  Wanted to calibrate IMU and compass before first flight.  IMU calibrated no problem.  Cannot calibrate compass. Have tried multiple times in different places and always get failure message.  It flies fine. GPS is fine.  But I want to make sure I'm able to calibrate out of the box and when needed.  Saw on Youtube someone demagnatized the drone and was then able to calibrate compass. He said this can happen on all drones.  Before I take that step wanted to check here to see if anyone had guidance.  Thanks.
2022-1-14
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Make sure you have no metal on you and you are away from any metal while calibrating -- this includes watches, keys, etc. on your person, and ground locations where there might be steel reinforcement, like cement pads, or near fences.

If the drone flies well and orients properly it is unlikely to need calibration. In my experience you very rarely need to calibrate the compass. Hope this helps.

2022-1-14
Use props
C5Drones
lvl.2
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 1-14 13:12
Make sure you have no metal on you and you are away from any metal while calibrating -- this includes watches, keys, etc. on your person, and ground locations where there might be steel reinforcement, like cement pads, or near fences.

If the drone flies well and orients properly it is unlikely to need calibration. In my experience you very rarely need to calibrate the compass. Hope this helps.

thanks. i did have keys in my pocket and my money clip has a magnet on it.. that could be it.  although i was able to calibrate the mini 2 with those in my pocket no problem.
2022-1-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Wanted to calibrate IMU and compass before first flight.
First up, there is no need at all to calibrate anything before flying.
DJI have never suggestet that in their manuals.
It's a myth that has grown in this forum.

Cannot calibrate compass. Have tried multiple times in different places and always get failure message.  It flies fine.
Usually a compass that won't calibrate is broken or disconnected.
But if yours is flying properly, the compass is properly calibrated.
You couldn't fly or hover without the compass being properly calibrated.

I want to make sure I'm able to calibrate out of the box and when needed.
The only time you would need to calibrate the compass is if you add or remove accessories or rebuild the drone.
It's not something you need to do in normal circumstances.

And having keys, jewellery etc in your packet won't have any effect on compass calibration as they aren't magnetic.
Unless the money clip magnet is quite powerful, it probably wouldn't have much effect in your pocket.

Wearing a watch with a magnetic clasp, might.

2022-1-14
Use props
C5Drones
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-14 13:48
Wanted to calibrate IMU and compass before first flight.
First up, there is no need at all to calibrate anything before flying.
DJI have never suggestet that in their manuals.

thanks for the insight. yes it flies fine so the compass is working.. but its still concerning that I cannot calibrate it. this function should work without a hitch.
2022-1-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Where are you? It may be due to your location (Minnesota?). Are there any known magnetic/compass issues there, like high deposits of iron in the ground? Maybe try to calibrate again higher up.

Nevermind. I see that you are probably in New Jersey.

2022-1-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, C5. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Please note that you need to perform the said calibration in an area wherein there is no magnetic interference also it is recommended to perform these steps in an open area without any metals around it to avoid issues. In addition, there is no need to perform the compass calibration if there are no issues or errors on the app as long as the status is normal without any errors, you are good to go. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support and happy flying!
2022-1-15
Use props
C5Drones
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-15 00:44
Hi there, C5. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Please note that you need to perform the said calibration in an area wherein there is no magnetic interference also it is recommended to perform these steps in an open area without any metals around it to avoid issues. In addition, there is no need to perform the compass calibration if there are no issues or errors on the app as long as the status is normal without any errors, you are good to go. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support and happy flying!

thanks for the info.
2022-1-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If your compass is working you cannot make it better by calibrating, so out of the box calibration is not needed.

However you should still be able to calibrate. Are you doing it correctly, can you explain or post a video showing just exactly how you are doing it.
2022-1-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

C5Drones Posted at 1-15 08:38
thanks for the info.

You are most welcome. Have a wonderful day ahead and fly safe!
2022-1-17
Use props
djiuser_DKLShhEcfuVf
lvl.1

Kenya

Hello there my dji air 2s has this problem some one to help on how to  fix it
Screenshot_20230705-102503.jpg
2023-8-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_DKLShhEcfuVf Posted at 8-1 09:36
Hello there my dji air 2s has this problem some one to help on how to  fix it

Hi there. Sorry for the trouble you're experiencing. Have you already tried doing the IMU, Compass, and gimbal calibration? If you experienced a crash or collision we suggest sending the drone for repair. Don't hesitate to reply so I can assist you further. Have a great day ahead.
2023-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules