Mini 2; One Tough Little Bird
497 4 2022-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5fad8194
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8320997 ft
United States

I was filming at a little park in Roslyn NY. I was flying backward and lost my orientation of where the drone was. I didn't realize it was flying into a hillside. I decided to initiate RTH to bring the drone back closer to my location and watched with horror as she flew into the tree. Much to my surprise (and immense relief) she continued flying albeit with the gimbal pointed straight down. Miraculously she continued RTH right back to me. The only damage was a cracked prop which I replaced on the spot and she flew again with no apparent ill effects.

As Forrest Gump said "Stupid is as stupid does." This is almost exactly how I lost my Mini a year ago.  I hope I have learned my lesson about flying backwards - at least until I upgrade to one with collision avoidance.

John

2022-1-15
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did you replace both blades on the affected motor? They are likely to be balanced pairs. If you fly out somewhere and pass close by or behind an object that is higher than your current RTH setting it is advisable to reset your RTH height to higher than the object, measure the height of the object with the drone then add 10m/30ft or so and use that height as the new RTH height.
2022-1-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That was lucky.   
2022-1-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We're glad to know that there is no major issue that happened in your unit during the incident. We strongly recommend replacing all the damaged propellers on the unit to avoid any issues when you fly again the unit. Also, please pay attention to the application if it does show an error message regarding the motors, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-1-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice that you got it back!
2022-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now